Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hollywood = McDonalds

I would probably consider Yesterday more of a Beatles appreciation film. Rom Coms are always supposed to come back...but it never quite does. Crazy Rich Asians was probably the closest. Love Actually, the Wedding Crashers and My Best Friends Wedding are probably the last great romantic comedies I can remember. The rest were forgettable.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      Rom Coms are always supposed to come back...but it never quite does. Crazy Rich Asians was probably the closest. Love Actually, the Wedding Crashers and My Best Friends Wedding are probably the last great romantic comedies I can remember. The rest were forgettable.
      The upcoming Last Christmas, written by Emma Thompson will make some $$ I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        The upcoming Last Christmas, written by Emma Thompson will make some $$ I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9CEIcmWmtA

I really liked the trailer when I saw it in a theater yesterday, even though I was still half way rushing to my seat. Also, because I love that George Michael song. I like rom coms where the heroine is in a hot mess, then has to find their way.

Comment

I've noticed that most of the major summer tent poles have been big IPs, reboots, comic book movies, sequels... Not a lot of original movies. What happens to the writers these days that like to write spec features? Those major IPs and comic book movies have A list writers. Not a lot of room for original writer trying to break into that circle.

Comment

^True. Keeping with this analogy, I have to wonder what will happen when people get so bored with McDonalds that McDonalds starts to lose serious profit. I guess there aren't any major competitors, like a Taco Bell or In-N-Out or whatever, but maybe a few will spring up outside of Hollywood to take advantage of the situation (or the ones that already exist will grow in influence). Might McDonalds take more risks and try altering their menu? I think they will if the Big Macs and Quarter pounders stop selling.

On that note I (and probably many others) have a feeling the MCU is going to crap out hard now that we've passed Endgame.
            Last edited by DDoc; 08-20-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I've noticed that most of the major summer tent poles have been big IPs, reboots, comic book movies, sequels... Not a lot of original movies. What happens to the writers these days that like to write spec features? Those major IPs and comic book movies have A list writers. Not a lot of room for original writer trying to break into that circle.
              To add...

Get a general with these people and you'll see that you talk about everything BUT their catalog. I honestly don't know how to get on their lists. I 99.99% doubt I am. But, then why meet with me? For what? Seriously. Literally "WHAT IS THIS MEETING ABOUT???"

Ps... watch what happens when you ask them about their catalog. Try it! Let me know what they say. We'll compare notes (Talking: writers trying to break into that market who wrote a script they liked enough to do a general.)

I super don't GET this town...
              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                ^True. Keeping with this analogy, I have to wonder what will happen when people get so bored with McDonalds that McDonalds starts to lose serious profit. I guess there aren't any major competitors, like a Taco Bell or In-N-Out or whatever, but maybe a few will spring up outside of Hollywood to take advantage of the situation (or the ones that already exist will grow in influence). Might McDonalds take more risks and try altering their menu? I think they will if the Big Macs and Quarter pounders stop selling.

On that note I (and probably many others) have a feeling the MCU is going to crap out hard now that we're passed Endgame.
                We can hope.

McD's did add salad and yogurt, so maybe there's hope. No idea.

ps... In-N-Out is my jam over McD's ALL DAY!

Comment

Screw it... Im'a say more.

It's just friggin bizarre when you're in the waiting room sipping your water looking at poster after poster of summer blockbuster catalog stuff, then they call you back, and you walk past the bat mobile, then EVERYTHING in the office is comic book stuff... and...

...NONE OF THAT'S EVER MENTIONED.

Bruh, am I in the Twilight Zone? Real sh!t, am I?

"Not trying to be a d!ck, just curious... why the fukk am I here? I don't super GET the point of this meeting."

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post

On that note I (and probably many others) have a feeling the MCU is going to crap out hard now that we're passed Endgame.

I admit I've started to burn out on the Marvel movies. I kind of rolled my eyes when that End game was coming and it was the same thing. I think it will probably get worse. There's a bit of a gambling mentality, where they only want to get that massive home run, rather than be happy with getting some singles and doubles along the way. There's already some effect. A lot of the audience is tuning into the streaming services to get their more edgier fare or the more non-spectacle stories. It's making the streaming services powerful. Also, a lot of writers might be more drawn to the tv space because of the opportunities that's not in features. The irony is that maverick artistic innovators spawned these IPs. George Lucas and James Cameron.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                      To add...

Get a general with these people and you'll see that you talk about everything BUT their catalog. I honestly don't know how to get on their lists. I 99.99% doubt I am. But, then why meet with me? For what? Seriously. Literally "WHAT IS THIS MEETING ABOUT???"

Ps... watch what happens when you ask them about their catalog. Try it! Let me know what they say. We'll compare notes (Talking: writers trying to break into that market who wrote a script they liked enough to do a general.)

I super don't GET this town...

Maybe, Hollywood just loves meetings.

Comment

I love In & Out, but I have to admit Shake Shack makes a better burger. And none of them compare to a restaurant burger.

Comment

I love In & Out, but I have to admit Shake Shack makes a better burger. And none of them compare to a restaurant burger.
                          Dude... you are so dead to me! I'll forgive you, but for the next 10 minutes. DEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                            Dude... you are so dead to me! I'll forgive you, but for the next 10 minutes. DEAD!

Eat that Shake Shack double meat burger while it's hot and tell me that isn't a good burger.

Comment

I guess McDonalds is pushing out the family owned burger shops. The Laemmle chain is struggling and rumored to consider selling. It's one of the few theaters that shows all the arthouse movies and foreign films. When I know I can't find the more indie films, I check out if it's playing at the Laemmle.

Comment

Working...
                              X