Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #101
cshel

Post Re: The New Black List

Sorry, just when I think I'm done...

I get why you would want to let repped writers join and post for free, as a courtesy, and why you would encourage that, to make sure there are some good, professional scripts on your site. That's great. But does that mean they have access to read all of the unrepped writers scripts who have paid to join? Could that be problematic?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #102
FranklinLeonard

Default Re: The New Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshel View Post
Sorry, just when I think I'm done...

I get why you would want to let repped writers join and post for free, as a courtesy, and why you would encourage that, to make sure there are some good, professional scripts on your site. That's great. But does that mean they have access to read all of the unrepped writers scripts who have paid to join? Could that be problematic?
Yes, they would have access to the unrepped writers script. Just as unrepped writers have access to the loglines of both the repped and unrepped writers.

Could you elaborate on why you think that would be problematic?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #103
Gillyflower Cooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
Yes, they would have access to the unrepped writers script. Just as unrepped writers have access to the loglines of both the repped and unrepped writers.

That's easy...even I can answer that... Liability!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #104
cshel

Quote:

Wait, what?! The repped and unrepped writers have access to everyone else's scripts? Or you mean just the loglines? Either way, I don't see what purpose that serves, if the goal is to get reps and prods to look at your stuff. You really don't see how some writers may think that's problematic?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #105
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Wait, what?! The repped and unrepped writers have access to everyone else's scripts? Or you mean just the loglines? Either way, I don't see what purpose that serves, if the goal is to get reps and prods to look at your stuff. You really don't see how some writers may think that's problematic?
Industry professional members have access to unrepped writers complete scripts and the loglines of the other titles that are included in our database along with their rep contact information and development/production status. Yes, that includes some professional screenwriters. Many of those professional screenwriters are also producers, directors, etc.

Unrepped writers do not have access to complete scripts. They do however have access to titles, authors, loglines, etc. of the unrepped and the repped titles in our database.

I suspect you're suggesting that professional writers will use the site to find ideas that they could then steal. Obviously, that behavior is explicitly outlawed by our terms of service, and members would be immediately expelled in the event that they were engaged in it. We, moreover, encourage all of our writers to register their scripts with the Guild.

Our community has historically been one that behaves with extraordinary high levels of integrity, and it is curated now to continue that high standard. Ultimately, each writer must make her own decision about how much they fear that threat (which for the record exists with any submission), and the extent to which they're willing to risk it for the opportunity that this initiative presents.

It is my personal belief that that risk is extraordinarily low in the context of our site, and we make every effort to keep it that way.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #106
Jules

forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but when could a person expect their script evaluation, it feels like the first month of script listing could be a waste of money if the script hasn't been evaluated pretty early on in that time.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #107
cshel

Quote:
Industry professional members have access to unrepped writers complete scripts and the loglines of the other titles that are included in our database along with their rep contact information and development/production status. Yes, that includes some professional screenwriters. Many of those professional screenwriters are also producers, directors, etc.

Unrepped writers do not have access to complete scripts. They do however have access to titles, authors, loglines, etc. of the unrepped and the repped titles in our database.

I suspect you're suggesting that professional writers will use the site to find ideas that they could then steal. Obviously, that behavior is explicitly outlawed by our terms of service, and members would be immediately expelled in the event that they were engaged in it. We, moreover, encourage all of our writers to register their scripts with the Guild.

Our community has historically been one that behaves with extraordinary high levels of integrity, and it is curated now to continue that high standard. Ultimately, each writer must make her own decision about how much they fear that threat (which for the record exists with any submission), and the extent to which they're willing to risk it for the opportunity that this initiative presents.

It is my personal belief that that risk is extraordinarily low in the context of our site, and we make every effort to keep it that way.
Okay. I suppose I'm just playing a little devil's advocate in light of this new revelation. I'm not really referring to any concern about actual professionals. But, basically, you're saying any schmoe who pays a mere $25, the integrity of which you can't possibly know, has access to everyone's personal info, LL, ratings, etc. I don't see that this serves any good purpose. One of the things that appealed to me about the sound of this was my erroneous perception of a certain level of privacy in general, compared to other sites like Amazon, and those other peer review sites. But this is actually not that different. I guess it's just me who thinks it could be problematic. Thank you again for answering so many questions. Carry on my wayward son.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #108
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Okay. I suppose I'm just playing a little devil's advocate in light of this new revelation. I'm not really referring to any concern about actual professionals. But, basically, you're saying any schmoe who pays a mere $25, the integrity of which you can't possibly know, has access to everyone's personal info, LL, ratings, etc. I don't see that this serves any good purpose. One of the things that appealed to me about the sound of this was my erroneous perception of a certain level of privacy in general, compared to other sites like Amazon, and those other peer review sites. But this is actually not that different. I guess it's just me who thinks it could be problematic. Thank you again for answering so many questions. Carry on my wayward son.
I'd encourage you to go back and read the entirety of this comment thread as much of this has been addressed.

Here's the information breakdown:

The only information that "any schmoe who pays a mere $25" would have is the title, author name, genre, and logline of other scripts on the site. They would not have the ability to read, rate, comment on, otherwise affect or gain access to these scripts.

They would, if the author of the script so chose by making it public, have access to view the script's average rating and the evaluations of our readers. These are numerical evaluations along with brief comments on the script's strengths and weaknesses and the reader's assessment of its commercial prospects. We consider it a highly abbreviated version of the coverage a script would receive when submitted anywhere else in the industry.

Industry professionals have access to the same information, including the average score and evaluations if the author chose to make them public. They also have the ability to download the script (which includes the author's contact information) and rate it. These ratings inform both the member's own recommendations, our ability to recommend the script to other users, and our top lists of scripts, but they are only visible if the author chooses to make them so.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #109
figment

So I just went on the website and "registering" involves listing your educational background, what state you live in, twitter and facebook accounts -- which I assume will all be used as contact info.

The only problem is that I see this being a huge, huge disadvantage for writers who are not based in California. Or who aren't hugely into social media. Or who didn't go to film school, or anywhere remotely ivy league, or college at all.

It seems like any one of those things can equal being dismissed immediately in the minds of a potential reader -- readers that would've otherwise liked the script and considered it a viable project for their company. This writer isn't in L.A? Why bother? He doesn't have a facebook/twitter account? He's out of the loop, why bother? Etc...

Thoughts on this?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #110
cap7
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
It seems like any one of those things can equal being dismissed immediately in the minds of a potential reader -- readers that would've otherwise liked the script and considered it a viable project for their company. This writer isn't in L.A? Why bother?
I don't think it matters to the producers. Agents and managers, sure, because I would imagine it's tough to represent someone who can't take any meetings, because he/she lives in Wisconsin. But if production company wants to buy something they will buy it. Material doesn't have a zip code. Or at least that's what multiple people with experience in the business would let me believe.
Closed Thread