Regular

Default Re: Meeting tips

You crazy romantic fool, you!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #22
pooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOz
Maybe if I hadn't already written about ten screenplays, I wouldn't have been so bold. But I was ready at that point to make it official. Hell yes, I told myself, I was a screenwriter. I had the years spent in front of the computer to prove it.

(snip-snip)

What about the guy who puts "PRODUCER" on his card who has no credits? Or the "MANAGER" who works out of his apartment in West Hollywood? Are they fake? Some of them. Delusional? Some of them. Or just following the same dream we all have to work in this crazy business?
Okay, I'll say this again then I'll shut up. It's not about earning the right to call yourself a screenwriter. As far as I'm concerned, you earned the right when you started your first screenplay. Screenwriting is what screenwriters do, and once you start doing it, you ARE one. It's not like a conferred degree.

I don't believe this has anything to do with being "presumptuous" but the fact is, most writers don't put "screenwriter" or "novelist" on their business cards simply because it's not the custom. It's not a big deal, and if you want to do it, fine. But it's not an insult to be told not to do it. Nobody is (or rather, SHOULD be) implying that any one person doesn't deserve the title. I think what Jake and I have said is most of the pros simply don't use it.

Edited to add: If your point is you want them to remember who you are, and that you're a writer, I think it makes a lot more sense to write the title of your script across the back of the card before you hand it to the exec. Then, assuming your script is memorable, they'll REALLY remember who you are rather than just see your name and that you're one of a million writers they've met.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #23
Jake Schuster

Whatever makes you feel good about yourself, I guess...
Jake Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #24
Hairy Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOz
What about the guy who puts "PRODUCER" on his card who has no credits? Are they fake? Some of them. Delusional? Some of them. Or just following the same dream we all have to work in this crazy business?
"Producer" business cards are an aphrodesiac for aspiring young actresses. Need I say more?

Hairy Lime, producer.
Hairy Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #25
Jake Schuster

You still using that, Hairy?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #26
zz9

I gotta get me some of them Producer cards!
zz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #27
GreatOz

Jake and Pooks, I love ya. You’re my peeps. And you’re absolutely right. I've seen the light. Having “Screenwriter” on my card is uncool and unprofessional. I’m taking it off immediately and printing new ones, replacing it with “BAD ASS SCREENWRITER”!
GreatOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #28
Jake Schuster

Now that should get their attention!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #29
kidcharlemagne

Great thread G-Oz

Some of the above I have learnt from painful experience e.g. don't assume that everywhere you go has parking facilities. The last thing you want to do is stress yourself out looking for a parking space on the street. So, if they have no drive on parking give yourself more time.

Also if you're out of town be aware of the vast distances in LA. I've made the mistake of setting meetings close together and then been totally stressed getting from Santa Monica to Disney in Burbank in late afternoon and then back to Bev Hills/Wilshire. I had to cancel because I realised that there was no way I was going to make it!

Also, hire a navigation device or read those mapquests carefully. I was an hour late for a meeting in Fox because I quickly glanced at the HCD in the car and thought they were in the 1000's but they were around 10,000 Pico blvd! I had to get from one end of Pico to the other in rush hour! The CE was cool though - I guess 'cause he knew I was from the other side of the pond.

Yeah, as Great Oz says - leave some room in the schedule for waiting around for CE's - it can sometimes be quite a long wait!

Bottom line is don't sweat too much because most of the time those meetings will come to nothing anyway ;-)

KC
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:12 PM   #30
GreatOz

KidC -- that mapquest tip is a good one. I'm also from out of town and I always mapquest the addresses. Some of those mega-streets like Pico and Sunset stretch for twenty miles!

Here's another tip for you out-of-towners...don't stay at a cheap hotel. An Econolodge in your hometown is the Taj Mahal compared to an Econolodge in Hollywood! I speak from experience!!! And find a hotel with free parking, or prepare to be zapped with $10-$25 per day parking fees.
GreatOz is offline   Reply With Quote