Are Screenwriting Consultants A TOTAL SCAM?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Screenwriting Consultants A TOTAL SCAM?

Hey Done Dealers,

I hope you enjoy this week's SCRIPTFELLA special report on Screenwriting Consultants and Script Coverage Services. We unpack the 7 key questions you need to ask a script reader BEFORE you hand over a penny of your hard-earned cash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDTV5GxujB8

Who is SCRIPTFELLA?

I'm a seasoned screenwriter, story consultant, film & TV lecturer. I've been optioned or commissioned by over 30 US and UK studios and production companies including: Universal Studios, Working Title, Bold Films, Scott Free, BBC and ITV. Recent produced credits include the award-winning motion picture An Act of Defiance (2017) and the not-so-award winning Hard Target 2 (2016)...

[email protected]
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-09-2020, 11:30 AM. Reason: Added tags

Re: Are Screenwriting Consultants A TOTAL SCAM?

Really enjoyed this video, Dominic. I wish I had spec I could send you. I'm currently working on dev'ing my rom-com current draft with a producer now. Surely in the future I'll reach out to you. I can't really afford the big notes at this time, but hopefully, sometime soon I will.

Really great information. Thank you for continuing to post these videos.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Cheers Lisa. I am wondering if I am going to get any pushback from those prototypical script coverage services who write up scoring grids and a page-long synopsis on your script...
      Last edited by SCRIPTFELLA; 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Well, I can give you my point of view...

I agree, I don't need a synopsis. It might help if the story was unclear or an element wasn't clear on the page, but other than that I don't use it. Readers/Consultants may include it because it's part of their process and it's important to them to complete it as such. I respect that. I don't think it goes against the number of pages they produce in the notes section.

I'm not interested in "pass/consider/recommend," because it's so subjective and managers, agents, studios, and prodcos have very different uses and needs for coverage. for example:

Managers: they're primarily looking for a unique voice and a skillset at the professional level.

Agents: looking solely for a product that is ready to sell now. It has to have a lot of elements in play.

Producers: looking for something that hits a sensibility and potential mandates including budget and is in "produceable-ready" condition.

Studios: a project ready to be packaged that meets their mandates, is commercial and appeals to a broad cross-section of the movie going audience.

I'm being very general here. It will and, of course, does vary a great deal.

That's why I'm not interested in the pass/consider/recommend because you don't fully understand what that reader is basing their recommendation completely on.

Now the numbers game, that The Black List plays is something I think could be valuable IF THERE WAS A SET OF STANDARDS at play. For example, it's ridiculous to me, to have a script received two 8s and then a 2 for the exact same script. That's insane. And that kind of disparity should absolutely NOT occur in an organization the sells pay-pre-review services. You were on The Black List several years ago, when, imo, the readers were better, but you probably experienced some varying scores.

There should be a rubrick or solid standard by which the material is being judged. Biases should be mitigated. The reader should be a professional and able to articulate their findings clearly, concisely with with the utmost professionalism.

Now, I will say, that you can do a scoring, as long as you hold to your own standard, because you are the same person reading every script. I like the scoring chart that The Black List uses...

Overall
        character
        plot
        premise
        setting
        dialogue

I think it would be good for you to use a scoring similar to The Black List because you have written and sold much material and have been a working writer. You have a valid opinion based on what you know and what you write.

I would also expect that all of the above elements would have a comments section as well as a section for strengths, weaknesses and prospects.

Prospects is important, when they are prospects and not additional strengths or weaknesses, because it does help establish expectations.

that's my take.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

The video is interesting and brings up points I never considered. I am not at a level where I would feel comfortable using the service, although I have paid for notes too many times, always using someone recommended on these forums. The last money I shelled out went to a reviewer everyone seems to love, who was booked for several weeks. To my surprise I received my notes in two days, and the reviewer listed the title of my script incorrectly. I wondered if there was a hierarchy in dealing with customers, and I was the monkey in the room.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTFELLA View Post
              Hey Done Dealers,

I hope you enjoy this week's SCRIPTFELLA special report on Screenwriting Consultants and Script Coverage Services. We unpack the 7 key questions you need to ask a script reader BEFORE you hand over a penny of your hard-earned cash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDTV5GxujB8
              Hi Dominic. I really enjoyed the video. I especially loved the movie clips. By the way, it was fascinating to hear your voice juxtaposed to Al Pacino. There was a similarity in intensity.
              Manfred Lopez Grem
              WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

"it was fascinating to hear your voice juxtaposed to Al Pacino. There was a similarity in intensity."

Hey Manfred, I'm laughing my head off. I can get a little TOO INTENSE sometimes!

Comment

Hello Dominic, the video was entertaining and informative.

Number 7, "Are You A Deep Diver Or A Surface Swimmer,- where you say, "you get someone that says you're dialogue is on-the-nose,- your response of "Where?- made me laugh because I can relate and understand the frustration. Yes, the reader could and should at least give two or three examples.

You've offered a "taste- opportunity for your services as a script consultant, where for $25 you'll do an audio review of a writer's first opening 10 pages.

Is this offer open ended, or is there a deadline?

Peers have given me feedback on 10 pages of a script I'm preparing for the 2020 screenplay competitions and I would like to do some rewrites.

Also, what about overload. There are close to 200 members with multiple scripts. Is a potential work load going to be a factor in getting the feedback done and out?

Comment

Hi Joe - sorry I've been MIA.

I'm glad my Script Consulting vid hit struck a chord with you - over the last two weeks I've read and audio reviewed dozens of scripts, met some really cool writers and have decided to keep the offer rolling. At the moment, I am turning around reviews within a week or so, so if you, or any another Done Deal member wants to test drive my audio notes for £20, please email me your first 10 pages on [email protected] and we can get cracking.

Here's to a massive 2020.

Best wishes,

Dominic
                    Last edited by SCRIPTFELLA; 01-06-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X