No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I was offered representation

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
    Thanks so much everybody. Keep those suggestions coming in. I am not gonna sleep tonight anyway...

They are very legit. In the last year alone, he's taken out like 4 or 5 scripts.

They want to attach themselves as producers, they take 10% but they are not double-dipping. No contracts, they do my genre, they want 2 scripts per year.

They are open to brainstorming.

HELP
    Yeah, but how many scripts has he SOLD?

Why are they saying they expect you to complete two scripts per year?

It's not legit to take 10% if they're going to produce and get paid for it.

Sounds fishier and fishier....

Comment

They want a few tweaks before going to studios, having attached themselves as producers.

They want to package it with a director and an actor and sell it. These were his words.

I don't know about notes - he mentioned tweaks.

They will waive the writer's fee if attach themselves. He was clear about it.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

All the main details seem entirely normal.

I imagine they want to hurry to get whatever tweaks they want in place, attach people, and submit prior to the Winter break. And perhaps they know some places that'd like to do a little business before the year ends.

Sounds like congrats are in order! Ride the wave and see where it takes you.

But if you know some people you can ask about the manager, it's always worthwhile to do your due diligence.
        Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

woot, congrats spacefarer!

Comment

I have no advice to give, so I'll just say congrats!

Comment

Congrats are definitely in order -- I should have offered those up first -- and I agree the overarching points are nothing to be concerned about.

But wanting you to complete some "tweaks" + getting meaningful actor & director attachments (which can realistically take weeks if not months) + submitting BEFORE Thanksgiving = impossible.

It's great to have an enthusiastic rep, but you also want a realistic one. They (and more importantly, YOU) are going to get one shot when it goes into the studios. For the life of me, I just can't understand why they would risk the process with such an accelerated sequence of events.

Comment

congrats! that's awesome. I saw a note you mentioned "waiving the writer's fee." what is that?
                If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Thanks everybody I really appreciate all the feedback.

I am not sure if they are planning to take it out before or around Thanksgiving. I strongly doubt it though. Probably early next year.

They want to take the script off the market - they know I have send it elsewhere as well.

Their strategy is to attach elements, take it to studios.

That's all I know.

I checked them up on IMDB Pro - they have some really legit clients under their roster.

Comment

Wow! Big congrats, space!

DD'ers rule!!!

Comment

Congrats, George!
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

Sounds like they really want it! Congrats, Spacefarer!
                        sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Congrats!!! it's tough trying to stay calm, but a lot of the biz is balancing the highs with the lows.

Comment

Huge, congrats!
                            Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Thanks Andrew, Mtoomey, Andy, Peasblossom, Nuvuefilms, Umo and literally everybody else.

Waiving the writer's fee - I guess it means that if they attach themselves as producers, the writer saves 10%. They are getting paid producer's fees from the studios, which doesn't come off your money.

But who am I to give advice... I just learned it on these boards.

Comment

If it's attachments, it's gonna take time.

My advice would be unless you want to stop your search now and sign, then do that. But I'd check out the site and PM folks off the thread to get inside info and honest feedback.

Also, what you perhaps should do is still query other folks and mention there's an offer already on the table by XXX. If one dude is hot for it, chances are others might be too. So it doesn't hurt to keep your options open. I'm sure the manager will be happy and professional and it's to be expected that you still shop it around until you make a formal desicion.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                                X