• Show
Clear All

Re: Scott M. Leddy - Empirical Management

Keep us posted!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

It's about volume and who is better than the next guy. The material speaks for itself. It does suck waiting and you might not even be on their radar.

DD
      Last edited by darkestbeforedawn; 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

It's their job to keep people around. Being a manager is a tough gig, you have decent material from one guy, then you get another guy with decent material then another one.

Just thing about this thread alone, basically all you guys are vying for this guys attention and he has to decide who's a better writer out of the bunch. Then he's got another dozen or so people he's cultivating that are a rung above you guys.

Then he's got his clients. Repeat that everyday and you get what you get . . . hey, i'll call you and then don't get a call. It's maddening./
        DD

Comment

I'm not getting into it, just adding that I did have a recent, positive exchange with the guy.

Comment

He may be the nicest dude in the world, but when a manager stands up a few writers in Hollywood without calling, word of his douchery can get around pretty fast.

Three other DDers have PMd me complaining about this guy's methods.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Talked to Scott again today. He seems like a sincere guy, but definitely busy as hell. I think everything that needs to be said already has been. If a manager doesn't call you back, just move on. Just hope for the best, and you'll end up with a manager who's right for you. They're all incredibly busy people.
              Last edited by OCeeBee; 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I'm not a manager, but i'm a contractor and I think we have the same thought process, promise things . . . try your damnest to honor those promises and then pick the best jobs or clients; let the rest fall by the wayside.

DD

Comment

Any chance someone could PM me his contact info?

Thanks!!

Comment

@OCB: That's the whole problem, he did call back. Several times. Set up meetings. Then completely disappeared when I showed up for said meetings. And trust me, I have moved on. I'm working with another manager who is very responsive, honors his meetings, and has come through on every promise he's made so far.

@DarkestbeforeDawn: I'm a contractor too. I would NEVER promise to do a job and then "let the rest fall by the wayside" if I can't complete the promised job. That's how you get a BAD REPUTATION as a craftsman. A simple phone call takes thirty seconds, this guy doesn't have the courtesey to do that after setting up and cancelling four meetings, I want nothing to do with him and I will warn other writers of his ways so this guy doesn't jerk around my colleagues. That is the purpose of this Forum.

@Jharp: You don't want it.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Montana - either way, I let him know . But I definitely am happy for you, and hopefully I'll find someone myself. Your feedback was definitely helpful though, and I'll temper my expectations.

Comment

Thanks OCB! Much appreciated. Hope it works out for you.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Yeah, definitely. Thanks for all of the advice. Always good to go into these things knowing all sides of the story.

Comment

Actually montana, I'm with you on the not showing up part, uncalled for. But you know as a contractor you put multiple bids out there and see what comes back. You get five jobs and you have to choose which one suits your the best.

You decline the other jobs and you take the jobs that make you money. Being a manager seems to be closely related.

DD

Comment

DD

Key words from your post, "declined the other jobs."

DECLINED.

As in, you placed a call or sent an email saying, "I decline."

I never got such a call or email. Therefore your point is moot.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

This is more a broader question, so apologies if it's branching to much off topic, but is this how it's supposed to work when approaching a manager, in that if they're open to new writers, they'll just ditch you if something 'better'/hotter genre piece comes along without even consulting you?

Congrats Montana or securing another rep, at what point did you decide to opt out and go for a different rep?

Comment

Working...
                                X