• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawsuit against WME and CAA

http://socialhollywoodmagazine.com/2...aa-wme-for-8m/
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Re: Lawsuit against WME and CAA

There's a thread here somewhere by a poster who bitched about this very thing and claimed he was gonna bring a lawsuit against the agencies...Me thinks it's the same dood.

Comment

The Lawsuit is retarded but there's some merit to some of what he's saying.

In the end, it's pointless, fruitless (or soon to be), and ultimately misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
        The Lawsuit is retarded but there's some merit to some of what he's saying.
        How does a manager or agent know the color of someone's skin from a query letter?

Comment

Though my response was honest, I must admit, it had a chumming scent to it.

There's no way I'm gonna get into this with you guys. But, again, I stand by what I said. Seems like you guys have a good idea what navigating this business as a minority is like, so...

Comment

I have a Nigerian friend who just got signed to UTA in TV.

He had no trouble being signed, but I think he's finding pretty fast that his agents are trying to push him at "urban" shows. And he's had some surprising comments from showrunners, about them being intimidated by his intellect.
            Read into that what you want... but my opinion is that there's still some truth to the whole Chris Rock "He speaks so well!" bit.

That said, I'm a white male writer, and I'm trying my damnedest to get some reads, so it's like two kids at the theme park arguing over who gets the penny and who gets the nickel when the ride costs a buck.

Comment

Affirmative action for screenwriters?

Certainly would help me get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by OCeeBee View Post
                I have a Nigerian friend who just got signed to UTA in TV.

He had no trouble being signed, but I think he's finding pretty fast that his agents are trying to push him at "urban" shows. And he's had some surprising comments from showrunners, about them being intimidated by his intellect.
                Reminds of some of the Toofer moments in 30 ROCK.

Sad fact of life. People are always going to have preconceptions of you and your work based on the color of you skin.

I guess I'm forever doomed to write martial arts stuff.

Comment

8 MILLION? :O

Here I was thinking the best way to get noticed by the big guys and let them know I exist was to pump out some awesome material.

Geez, someone just HAD to go and burst my bubble...

Comment

Best part of this?

From the guy who's suing:

Major production companies always respond by saying that you need an agent to submit to them. Major agencies — such as CAA and WME — say that they don’t accept unsolicited communications, and that the only way they would consider you is if a major player in the industry referred you.
                    The film industry is entirely closed. To get read by a major producer or studio, your work must be sent by an agency. The agents only read work recommended by players.
                    Now look at the bottom of the article. The press release was sent out by "WICKID PISSA PUBLICITY," who I assume was hired by the guy suing or his lawyer.

Click on their website...

Mitchell started Wickid Pissa Publicity to capitalize on the elite contacts he had generated through his work as an indie filmmaker, attending top-notch festivals across the country.

With a vast Rolodex packed with the top movers and shakers in Hollywood -- not to mention national and local press, agents, producers, artists, editors, publishers, CEOs, actors, filmmakers, and bloggers -- supreme exposure is guaranteed.

We can pitch your novel to the literary world or your new
                    high-concept screenplay to powerful studio heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                      Reminds of some of the Toofer moments in 30 ROCK.
                      yes. and some of the best comedy is based on fact.
                      and terrance howard's (tv show runner) character in crash was no joke either.

Comment

On a related note, here's another lawsuit against WME.

http://www.deadline.com/tag/marcus-washington-wme/
                        Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          The film industry is entirely closed. To get read by a major producer or studio, your work must be sent by an agency. The agents only read work recommended by players.
                          Oh - that's definitely the same guy. That's almost word-for-word what he used to say.

It's sad.

Mac
                          New blogposts:
                          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

I've been on the fence about this, but I'm gonna sue, too, 'cause my lack of talent is keeping me from getting reads. It's about time I stepped up for all us talentless hacks out there.

Thank you, Wickid Pissa Publicity, for giving me the courage to make someone else help me fulfill my dreams!

HH

Comment

Mac H:

I'm not getting into the merits of the case - that's been done to death a thousand times here.

I'm just pointing out that the case is that it's impossible to get access - and he's hired someone who brags about selling access to agents & producers, and can get screenplays read by "studio heads."

Maybe there's a better P.R. firm he could have used than one that totally undermines his claim.

Comment

Working...
                              X