• Show
Clear All

Re: My Black List Experiment Recap

Congratulations Bob

Best of luck going forward.

Comment

Amazing, and congrats! Best of luck.
      "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
      --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

Amazing. Many congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post

I've been trying to do this screenwriting thing for the last 20 + years. Only in the last two have I finally reached inside the fringes of the business. Before that, flashes of opportunity, but mostly a **** ton of No's. A lot of them, Hell No.

It was about not giving up and believing in myself and about believing what people in the business were saying about my ability and always, no matter how slowly, moving foreward. It's also about using EVERY tool available to market yourself. Networking, query, legit contests, and investing in yourself to try sites like the Black List. You leave no stone unturned.

I've had an amazing 2013 and 2014 is shaping up to be better. About damn time.
          Reading this keeps me encouraged. I'm debating whether or not to give up after several years of trying to be an "overnight success".

Comment

Originally posted by coffeywriter View Post
            Reading this keeps me encouraged. I'm debating whether or not to give up after several years of trying to be an "overnight success".
            I get it. I had just enough good things happen over those 20 years to make me marshal on. You can take those "so close you can taste it" moments and get mad and depressed they didn't happen, or... you can take them as "Hey... one step closer." Thin line for sure.

Comment

So being able to pitch movie ideas to two major cable networks is a good thing? LOL...then why do I feel like a failure, because they didn't buy what I was selling? I try to look for the silver lining, but it's getting harder and harder with several close calls, but not close enough...

Thanks Ed, for the encouragement to keep going!

Comment

So being able to pitch movie ideas to two major cable networks is a good thing? LOL...then why do I feel like a failure, because they didn't buy what I was selling? I try to look for the silver lining, but it's getting harder and harder with several close calls, but not close enough...

Thanks Ed, for the encouragement to keep going!
                You realize how many people who want to do this that would kill for the opportunity you had. The cable network people get pitched EVERY DAY. What percentage do you think gets even a twinkle of interest? My guess is less than 1%. You're IN the game. When I first started, I had a script set up at a major production house... ready to go... my first script... and the production company got sold and the studio who bought it dropped all the films in production... poof... gone.

Devastating? Uh huh. I was in shock for weeks. But a close friend in the business told me that was closer than 99% of all the writers out there and shows that I have the stuff and should keep trying. If you've gotten in the door, you can again...

Comment

Congrats Ed/Bob! Thanks for sharing. This is awesome news for all screenwriters and to get an insight to the process is most encouraging. Many props and all the best in 2014!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

So being able to pitch movie ideas to two major cable networks is a good thing? LOL...then why do I feel like a failure, because they didn't buy what I was selling?
                    YES that is a good thing.

And the whole failure thing is the nature of being writers. We're going to fail over and over and over again. It's just how it is.
                    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                    twitter.com/susanlbridges
                    pendantaudio.com

Comment

Thanks Susan for the encouragement... Note to self, **you signed up for this life of rejection...so shut up and deal!** :P:

Comment

This was the first thread that made me wish DD had a like button. I don't have anything to add other than "Congratulations, Eddy Bob." Lots of solid advice.
                        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Someone asked me for an update, so.... I did rewrite on the script for the Production Company. Thought the notes were good. Sent it in on time and they said they were happy enough with it to take it out. So... Another waiting game begins.

Comment

Someone asked me for an update, so.... I did rewrite on the script for the Production Company. Thought the notes were good. Sent it in on time and they said they were happy enough with it to take it out. So... Another waiting game begins.

Good luck, Bob.
                            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Thanks for the update. Good to hear. Wish you continued success.

Comment

Hey, Ed -- when you took your scripts down from the BL, did you merely suspend hosting or completely remove them? And is there a benefit to doing either one?

Comment

Working...
                                X