Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifts for Assistants

I'm thinking of sending my agent's assistant a gift, but only sending my agent a card. Is that weird?

I feel like with my agent it's the gesture that counts whereas the assistant might actually appreciate a gift card to Amazon or something.

Re: Gifts for Assistants

I feel like that's mildly weird. Probably fine, but mildly weird.

Comment

Probably shouldn't send the assistant a bigger/more thoughtful gift than the agent.

But it is nice to get them both something.
      Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

It depends on how you look at it, but it's not really weird. Last year I sent my agent's assistant a gift but not him.

Assistants work a lot of thankless hours and they really appreciate the gifts they get. Not saying the agents don't but they are getting gifts from a lot of people and places.

Agents are like the teacher that gets a ton of gifts from all their students... But the only gifts an assistant is going to get is likely from the clients -- if those clients even bother.

Remember, those assistants will be execs at production companies and studios one day...
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Not weird at all. Most writers I know give cash or giftcards to assistants. Not all writers I know give to agents and managers. Make of that what you will.

But if an assistant is setting meetings for you, forwarding material, arranging calls - they're a huge help, they work hard, and they don't make much. It's appreciated.

ETA: I mean your agents, managers, and their assistants, not ones you just come into contact with. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
          Last edited by dmizzo; 12-22-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
              It depends on how you look at it, but it's not really weird. Last year I sent my agent's assistant a gift but not him.

Assistants work a lot of thankless hours and they really appreciate the gifts they get. Not saying the agents don't but they are getting gifts from a lot of people and places.

Agents are like the teacher that gets a ton of gifts from all their students... But the only gifts an assistant is going to get is likely from the clients -- if those clients even bother.

Remember, those assistants will be execs at production companies and studios one day...
              Good tip about assistants being execs one day. Which is just another way of saying "treat everyone you come in contact with well… and it will serve you well."

Example: At one of my parties I met this girl (woman?), made sure I was a good host -- I'm known as the "shot nazi." You don't walk through my door without doing a shot. Just how I roll. Loosens everyone up. Anyway, over a year later I go in for a meeting on this new project. The same chick (exec) is sitting there along side the producer. She's like "hey, I know you, I went to your party. Nice to see you when we're both sober." Point being: It's a small world out there. Proceed with caution.

The other point: Agents actually don't get a lot of gifts. At least, not from clients. An agent I've known for 15 years, and am tight with (who turned into my partner for a couple years), received maybe, maybe, 5-10 gifts over a 15 year period from clients. A couple bottles of wine, flowers a time or two. That's it. I would say the person they receive the most gifts from is their assistant, during the holidays/B-days. It's a fairly thankless gig where you are displeasing someone on every deal.

Agents do like gifts. Doesn't have to be big, just something that says "hey, thanks man!". It's a good idea to give them a gift on a sale. Frankly, I was shocked to see how rare it was. A bottle of alcohol is great for a dude (good Scotch, Japanese whiskey... whatever), women prefer flowers (from Empty Vase).

Where agents, female agents, really get the gifts are the swag parties where it's a day long event in August. They'll pull in 10k+ in makeup products, jeans, shoes, trips (rooms worth $1,500 a night -- complimentary massage etc), you name it. Day of Pampering is what it's called. They leave the event with two suitcases (provided) literally busting at the seams with swag. That's the biggest swag windfall I've seen for agents. For male agents? I haven't seen much swag. Have you?

ps… I've bought two gifts. Flowers and a bottle of champagne. I admit I haven't gotten an assistant a gift. Shame on me. Good tip.
              Last edited by surftatboy; 02-03-2016, 10:01 AM.
              DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by toogood View Post
                I'm thinking of sending my agent's assistant a gift, but only sending my agent a card. Is that weird?

I feel like with my agent it's the gesture that counts whereas the assistant might actually appreciate a gift card to Amazon or something.
                Btw - What's your reason for the gift? That matters. If it's a sale [see: above].
                DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
                  Btw - What's your reason for the gift? That matters. If it's a sale [see: above].
                  just being a generous person for generosity's sake?

i get my writers group a little something every year (1) because i like them; and (2) because they give of their times and themselves to read my not-very-good pages and help me make them better

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                    just being a generous person for generosity's sake?

i get my writers group a little something every year (1) because i like them; and (2) because they give of their times and themselves to read my not-very-good pages and help me make them better
                    Gotcha. I would suggest the gift be for a reason. Like they sold something. Otherwise it may come off as a little desperate. They really aren't expecting anything until you sell something, nor then. But out of the blue could be taken as a premature celebration. But... your call obviously.

I sent a dude Champagne -- not my agent a competing agent -- when I sold something due to the fact that the competing agent inspired me to try writing.
                    DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
                      Gotcha. I would suggest the gift be for a reason. Like they sold something. Otherwise it may come off as a little desperate. They really aren't expecting anything until you sell something, nor then. But out of the blue could be taken as a premature celebration. But... your call obviously.

I sent a dude Champagne -- not my agent a competing agent -- when I sold something due to the fact that the competing agent inspired me to try writing.
                      If you look at the dates on the earlier posts in this thread, it appears to be a Christmas/Year End/Holiday gift.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
                        If you look at the dates on the earlier posts in this thread, it appears to be a Christmas/Year End/Holiday gift.
                        Ahh... my bad. Who doesn't like an Xmas gift! In that case, I have gotten an assistant a gift.
                        DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
                        X