Boutique management vs bigger management companies?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boutique management vs bigger management companies?

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
    This is indeed a problem in features. I had the same problem for years until I finally did an episodic gig that, in a roundabout way, got me into the Guild.

One thing to keep in mind: companies can't move a project from their sig divisions to their non-sig divisions (they can only move things the other way), so if you get a rewrite job on something that originated with a WGA writer, you'll get points for the rewrite. I know that's easier said than done, but it's something to keep in mind.
    Definitely something to keep in mind going forward. Thanks for the tip!

Actually, on that subject... the company that optioned the first script I mentioned just brought on a directing team, who are doing their own polish on the script. If the directors are WGA, that would then make it a guild project, right? These guys just got brought on at the end of the year and this hadn't actually crossed my mind until just now.

Comment

You don't query studios. Query the production companies that make movies with/for the studios.
      Gotcha. Still sounds daunting to take it on as a writer. Just speaking for me, I wouldn’t feel comfortable without a rep.

If the production company is a WGA signatory (which all of the legit prodcos typically are), the union stuff will take care of itself.
      Whew, thanks.

But if you only have "a" spec, I probably would worry less about all of these reps and sales questions than writing my next spec (and the next one and the next one and the next one . . . ).
      I’ve got one in the oven, but I can’t just sit on a year of labor without querying and trying for a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
        Definitely something to keep in mind going forward. Thanks for the tip!

Actually, on that subject... the company that optioned the first script I mentioned just brought on a directing team, who are doing their own polish on the script. If the directors are WGA, that would then make it a guild project, right? These guys just got brought on at the end of the year and this hadn't actually crossed my mind until just now.
        Hopefully, KitchonaSteve or someone else with more intimate knowledge of the WGA rules will chime in here, but, from what I understand, in the scenario you describe, the process works like this:

A project can move from non-sig to sig, but NOT from sig to non-sig. So:

If a project moves from non-sig to sig, the work of the non-sig writer becomes considered source material. When the Guild determines credits, the best you can hope for is:

"Written by WGA Directing Team; Based on a Screenplay By DLev24."

So the fact that the project moved from non-sig to sig will not get you points; on the contrary, it will only diminish your credit.

BUT, if, say, you were to be re-hired onto the project to give it another pass (after the WGA writers had done their thing), then, because it's now a sig project (and because sig projects can't move to non-sig), you would have to be employed under a Guild contract and thus earn points toward membership.

Confused yet?

Comment

Hopefully, KitchonaSteve or someone else with more intimate knowledge of the WGA rules will chime in here, but, from what I understand, in the scenario you describe, the process works like this:

A project can move from non-sig to sig, but NOT from sig to non-sig. So:

If a project moves from non-sig to sig, the work of the non-sig writer becomes considered source material. When the Guild determines credits, the best you can hope for is:

"Written by WGA Directing Team; Based on a Screenplay By DLev24."

So the fact that the project moved from non-sig to sig will not get you points; on the contrary, it will only diminish your credit.

BUT, if, say, you were to be re-hired onto the project to give it another pass (after the WGA writers had done their thing), then, because it's now a sig project (and because sig projects can't move to non-sig), you would have to be employed under a Guild contract and thus earn points toward membership.

Confused yet?
          Oh wow. So wait... if the work these directors are doing is a simple polish and wouldn't normally amount to even a shared writing credit (and if I don't get brought back onto the project), what would normally be a Written By credit for me would be bumped down to a Based On? That seems insane -- yet at the same time totally believable. Thank you for taking the time to try to explain this btw. Much appreciated.

OP sorry for derailing your thread momentarily.

Comment

Lol, it's okay, I'm glad to read every bit of the legalese. Sorry to hear your woes, though. Couldn't the producers just put you in the loop? Or is it improprietous to ask them?

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
              Oh wow. So wait... if the work these directors are doing is a simple polish and wouldn't normally amount to even a shared writing credit (and if I don't get brought back onto the project), what would normally be a Written By credit for me would be bumped down to a Based On? That seems insane -- yet at the same time totally believable. Thank you for taking the time to try to explain this btw. Much appreciated.

IIRC, that's usually what it means. But again, there are people on these boards with better and more intricate knowledge of WGA legalese than I.

One important point: I do seem to recall that if there's language in your original contract specifying that you'll be legally considered a "professional writer" for the purposes of the project, that complicates things in your favor.

Above all, don't take my Guy On the Internet recollections as gospel. Check out your contract and talk to your reps. And if you have no reps, call the Guild!

Comment

Originally posted by prolixpen View Post
                Lol, it's okay, I'm glad to read every bit of the legalese. Sorry to hear your woes, though. Couldn't the producers just put you in the loop? Or is it improprietous to ask them?
                Thanks. Like I said, I know there are worse problems to have. The producers have done a pretty good job keeping me in the loop as far as how the project is moving forward, re: attaching these directors, them doing a polish on the script, etc. The WGA thing is much more a concern of mine than it is theirs. I'd most likely ask my reps (or the WGA directly) before I'd bother the producers about this issue.

Comment

IIRC, that's usually what it means. But again, there are people on these boards with better and more intricate knowledge of WGA legalese than I.

One important point: I do seem to recall that if there's language in your original contract specifying that you'll be legally considered a "professional writer" for the purposes of the project, that complicates things in your favor.

Above all, don't take my Guy On the Internet recollections as gospel. Check out your contract and talk to your reps. And if you have no reps, call the Guild!
                  Agreed, I should probably just ask my reps to look into it. I'm not even sure if these directors are WGA or not, so it could even be a moot point. They've got one big directing credit under their belts but no writing credits. Time will tell, I'm sure.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

Originally posted by prolixpen View Post

asteven50, if it's not too intrusive a question, when you say in general-speak that the packaging power vs personal attention is a difference, is that part of why you moved on to 360?
                    Nope, nothing to do with it.
                    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Having been repped at a few management places over the years (Energy, Film Engine, Benderspink, Madhouse) one thing I've concluded is that it really comes down to the individual(s). The size of the firm rarely makes a difference. At least in my opinion. That probably applies to agencies as well.

That said, each place has its advantages and disadvantages.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                      X