Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

It would be way easier to compete if that were the case. Usually for the final 10 spots you're going up against the usual suspects of the vets who've been at the game for a while that you saw on other lists.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      Yep -- he's using his real name. Just two examples:

https://www.wescreenplay.com/blog/an...ntest-winners/

https://pageawards.com/past-winners/...ter-finalists/

Smart of you to use a pseudonym when you entered.

Yep, there's a cutoff if you've achieved a certain level of earnings, usually.
      That's lame...

The dude could obviously make some calls. Then again he's a weird guy.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        It would be way easier to compete if that were the case. Usually for the final 10 spots you're going up against the usual suspects of the vets who've been at the game for a while that you saw on other lists.
        I knew the Blacklist was a joke when Sorkin made the list. You probably haven't heard of the guy.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
          I knew the Blacklist was a joke when Sorkin made the list. You probably haven't heard of the guy.

Can't say that I have. Has he written anything I would've seen?

Comment

That's lame...

The dude could obviously make some calls. Then again he's a weird guy.

I saw him break down crying on a youtube clip. I wouldn't mind competing against him, if the script comparisons were merely on merit.

Comment

Honey boy looks great. He's a great actor. He's insane like most child stars and most actors. He's done some interesting things like when we watched him sit in a theater for 48 hours or something?

Comment

I liked that art exhibition thing, where he just sat there and his fans could come in and talk to him. I think being in the creative field, we're all a little more emotional because we're constantly being judged.

Comment

I remember my last manager told us to beg to be on the blacklist and he would do the same. I did not do that as I thought that was super lame. Also I didn't write a bio pic of Walt Disney.

I think for the past 5-7 years, half the scripts they love are bio pics and often there are 2 of them and that's so weird. Like it will be a random celebrity like Elvis and 2 scripts about him make the blacklist? Why were 2 Elvis scripts written in same year that were so good they made the list?

And yes, you think the black list would be the best scripts, but also scripts that weren't about to be made or written by huge writers. Like I thought the idea was to expose scripts people may have missed. You don't miss a Sorkin script.

Comment

I wonder how much relevance the trackingb contest has nowadays? I don't hear any success stories out of that camp and there's no justification for why their entry fee went from $30 (early entry) to $95 (early entry). The late entry fee is $125 and they offer nothing in return, not even a notification email of selected honorable mentions/finalists. Contests are essentially a lottery, given reader bias and subjectivity, so those entry fees are a steep price to pay for 99% of the players. Count me out.
                    FADE IN:
                    PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                    NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Outrageous.

Maybe it was that last RGA strike (that's "Readers" Guild of America, ha ha) that's forced all the contests to bump up their entry fees.

Anybody know if the reading fee average has gone up? I still ponder the LinkedIn profile of that young woman reader on BL, who said (boasted?!) about reading 3-5 scripts per day!!! Maybe 'reading is the new writing' when it comes to career and money-making opportunity?!

Comment

My guess is less people entering so you raise the price... also I assume that the industry panel reading the scripts (I don't know if they read every one or only the top 10% or whatever...) gets paid to do it. That was always my take on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                          I wonder how much relevance the trackingb contest has nowadays? I don't hear any success stories out of that camp and there's no justification for why their entry fee went from $30 (early entry) to $95 (early entry). The late entry fee is $125 and they offer nothing in return, not even a notification email of selected honorable mentions/finalists. Contests are essentially a lottery, given reader bias and subjectivity, so those entry fees are a steep price to pay for 99% of the players. Count me out.
                          There big success story a couple of years ago (that they still promote like crazy) was Micky Fischer. He was an unknown making so-so Indy movies in the Midwest. Submitted his pilot to TrackingB. It won (or was a finalist), got him a manager who got the pilot to Amblin who got it to CBS who actually made it! So 1 in a million but he probably wouldn't have a TV career without TrackingB.

Comment

Mickey was just a finalist. Someone else won. The other finalists must be scratching their heads wondering why they didn't get the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                              Mickey was just a finalist. Someone else won. The other finalists must be scratching their heads wondering why they didn't get the same result.
                              Because on that particular day, Brooklyn had his coke before he had his smoothie. Could've easily gone the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                I remember my last manager told us to beg to be on the blacklist and he would do the same. I did not do that as I thought that was super lame. Also I didn't write a bio pic of Walt Disney.

I think for the past 5-7 years, half the scripts they love are bio pics and often there are 2 of them and that's so weird. Like it will be a random celebrity like Elvis and 2 scripts about him make the blacklist? Why were 2 Elvis scripts written in same year that were so good they made the list?

And yes, you think the black list would be the best scripts, but also scripts that weren't about to be made or written by huge writers. Like I thought the idea was to expose scripts people may have missed. You don't miss a Sorkin script.
                                The Annual Black List is simply the "favorites" as voted on by about 250 industry people. it is not a "best of" list at all. so for Sorkin's Social Network in 2009, it was sent all over town, everyone read it, it seems. that's why it was #2 on the list that year.

i remember thinking, "who cares." then i read it and was so entertained and astonished at the opening i was like, this is amazing. felt the same way when i read Inglorious Basterds, too. that opening 13 pages is ****ing amazing.

you're right though about the bio pics. it seems that's the majority of the specs. there are a few that look good from last year's list. i'm trying to read at least two a week. i've read in the past two weeks--

The Beast
                                Dark (really good, fast)
                                Blonde Ambition
                                Evil CBS 2019 pilot

ones that look good? Blur, Drudge, Analytica and a few others. i wonder if we could start a private group for writers to review black list scripts? it'd be fun to discuss. not to trash writers, just to talk about the craft, you know?

Tyler Marceca who wrote The Disciple Program. you might not know the real story...

there's a contest called "The Industry Insider" competition where an A-lister gives a logline and you have to write the first 15 pages. i was a finalist once and it's a really fun way to write. i loved it.

anyway, in 2011 Robert Mark Kamen's logline was:

"After waking to find his wife dead in their backyard, a man conducts his own investigation, and uncovers the hidden life of a woman he thought he knew."

so Tyler was a finalist. that's where his idea for The Disciple Program came from. he finished the script then it went on to a bidding war. i read it, think it was on The Black List, too. very entertaining. fast read. Mark Walhberg is still attached to produce. still hasn't got made.

so if you want killer loglines for a story, it's a great place to check out. even the past loglines are great.

i did the same thing with my spec called The Devil's Elbow, i posted the opening pages here a few years ago, but i never did anything with the spec because my manager-not-manager didn't think he could do "anything" with it. totally forgot about it, i recently let someone else read it, and they liked it so, i'll be rewriting that one in the future. i love so much about it. it's a modern day crime noir in the vein of Chinatown meets DOA.

geez, i'm all over the place today.
                                Last edited by finalact4; 08-20-2019, 12:42 PM.
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X