Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
Satriales
User

Default Re: SCRIPT LENGTH: let's take a poll

Someday I hope it swings back the other way. I want mothereffin walls of text. My writing style is naturally short and clipped and I'm not of the, let's say, Pizzolatto approach to language so sparse looking is easy for me. But I'm so sorry it took you ten extra minutes to read this script. <jerkoff motion>

Sometimes I just want a big azz block of shiit on the page. I feel like reps are so hyperfocused on white space...it's just like...I get it man. But I want to get a bit flowery with this one. I loved the hell out of the Keeper of the Diary, fantastic read and it was one long paragraph I think.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #32
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
Someday I hope it swings back the other way. I want mothereffin walls of text. My writing style is naturally short and clipped and I'm not of the, let's say, Pizzolatto approach to language so sparse looking is easy for me. But I'm so sorry it took you ten extra minutes to read this script. <jerkoff motion>

Sometimes I just want a big azz block of shiit on the page. I feel like reps are so hyperfocused on white space...it's just like...I get it man. But I want to get a bit flowery with this one. I loved the hell out of the Keeper of the Diary, fantastic read and it was one long paragraph I think.

Same... Sometimes I read sh!t and I'm like "okay, I see words... but where's the fukkin VOICE? I have no idea what's unique about how this person views the world. Anyone could have written this sh!t." I want to get a sense of how this writer sees the fukkin world. Those are the lines I'm like "fukkin bitchen, I'm jealous... what a rad way to put it, wish I'd written that line. Nod of respect." RARE these days.

Perfect example of hella voice: Read anything by Anthony Bourdain. Fukk ton of voice in his sh!t. Dude has a POV. Fukker had to go kill himself before I met him. D!ck. RIP, bruh...

BTW -- if density on the page matters so gosh-damn fukking much, then WHY THE FUKK ARE THE MAJORITY OF THE CLASSICS DENSE ON THE MUTHA'FUKKIN PAGE???

Ask an agent, producer, development exec for their top 5 favorite films of all time. NONE of them will be from the last 20 years. Now, to them, I say "Go read those fukking scripts, notice anything different?"

Idiots.

ps... I wish I would'a fukkin cussed more in this post. Oh well, next fukkin time. LOL
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #33
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i cannot stand it when dialogue or an action line gets split by a page break. i will rewrite that **** until it's gone
When you posted this I thought it was bizarre. Five seconds ago I came across this, about Tony Gilroy doing the same thing.

https://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/ton...nal-screenplay

"... Gilroy is also very particular about the look of his screenplay on the page. If dialogue breaks across the page and he doesn't like it, he'll find lines and descriptions that can be trimmed to make the page itself look right. According to him this work not only makes the scripts tighter and more concise, but the meticulous approach also makes his screenplays easier for people to read -- and read quickly..."
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #34
Hernan Giaggio
User

Yeah, I'm sort of obsessed with page aesthetics to a point where probably no one would notice these issues but me. It's ultimately pretty silly, but I keep doing it. Maybe it's because I'm a visual artist as well.
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #35
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
When I say it, nobody listens. Maybe they'll listen to Tony:

Quote:
4. Write an Outline
Gilroy reveals that he must outline every part of the story before even writing one page of the screenplay. His outlines can stretch from 30 pages up to 80 pages
and
Quote:
5. Write the Screenplay
Once you know your whole story from the outline process, Gilroy points out that it's fun to write the screenplay.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #36
Bono

I think I'm the only one who doesn't like some of his movies, but besides that for every "outline first" writer there is a writer who doesn't do that -- John August comes to mind first.

There.
Are.
No.
Rules.
Except -- Scripts over 120 pages and you get kicked out of industry forever. -- Tony G in NJ said that to me once.

I'm having a flashback. I think I typed this before on this board. Holy ****, we are in The Matrix! Make me thinner!
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #37
catcon

Ulp, are we in for a slew of Matrix metaphors nowadays?

As for outlining or not, of course there are no rules. It's about making the profound challenge of writing a script or a novel, or anything else, as easy as possible.

I would submit that outlining for a spec is even more important than for an assignment or adaptation. For the latter you already have something to go by, whereas for a spec at first it's only in the ether (or fugue) of your brain.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #38
Bono

Every one is unique.

I know for sure the scripts I did less prep work for I wrote the script faster and better -- two of them went out.

So it took me awhile to realize treatment and outlines don't lead to my best work.

Of course I've done both. Usually reps and producers is when my treatment and outline gear kicks in.

But there's a huge difference between just writing on the fly and being ready to write. I may not have a full outline in front of me, but the idea is flowing in my mind for days, weeks, years. And then it comes pouring out of me.

And I would argue that if you do go outline route for yourself, leave room for the fun. Don't overwrite it and then make it seem like your doing homework when you get to the script.

What works for you would drive me mad. And my way would drive you mad.

And even if you handed me your outline or I handed you my treatment, we would still write 90% different scripts because it's just a tool.

Think about it like cooking. We are told to prepare a dish. You may set everything up, get all the ingredients. I may wait until the last minute and cook very messy. But all that matters is what the end dish tastes like to others. The prep work -- how the sausage is made -- is meaningless to the person reading it.

I went to film school (cry for me.) And the only thing I learned really in my film production 1 class that i recall is when my teacher said "I can only judge you on what you show me, not what you wanted to do, thought about doing, what you left in the editing room." It was a good way to look at screenwriting. The work has to stand for itself.

Some writers work much harder than others and get no results. And some Sorkin's can do cocaine and write 57 out of 60 episodes of a TV series in less time than it takes me to write 1 spec.

Last edited by Bono : 08-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #39
GucciGhostXXX

I haven't learned my best process yet.

Truthfully, I think my favorite script is the one I wrote on the road in real time with no outline (It's also the fave of my writer/director buddy, he kept saying "Dude... I've read all your sh!t, it's your best script, try to get it made or let me direct it." So I finally just gave it to him. We'll see what happens). I kinda knew what it was about, but not really. I just knew it was a POINT A to POINT B story and involved hitmen, so I went on the road to write it. Took the same journey as the protag.

Best way to write IMO, on the road.

That script landed the best for me. The ones that landed the worst were the ones I outlined. So IDK...
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #40
Bono

It seems like YOU DO KNOW.