Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No

Just an idle thought, but I wonder if there's any other business in which so many spend so much of their time saying "no" to each other.

Re: No

I've come to love and embrace "no." I don't even see it as a word anymore. More like... a movement.

Comment

Yes, I mean no

Comment

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm also a huge fan of the no response at all -- there's something quite zen about it.

Comment

My dating life?

HH

Comment

I love no's -- It means you're work is **** and you need to improve it.

Far better than the -- did they receive it? It's been two months, why haven't they replied?

And I haven't even started querying yet.

Comment

I think every business has gotten like that now.

Comment

What are you all talking about?

I think most of you may have taken a wrong turning somewhere. This is a screenwriting forum. This is Hollywood.

No-one EVER says 'NO!' here.

What you should have asked, Geoff, is-

Is there any other business where so many spend so much of their time finding new and create ways to say 'No' to each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                  What are you all talking about?

I think most of you may have taken a wrong turning somewhere.

This is a screenwriting forum. This is Hollywood.

No-one EVER says NO here.

What you should have asked, Geoff, is-

Is there any other business where so many spend so much of their time finding new and create ways to say 'No' to each other?
                  Yes, some context would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                    Just an idle thought, but I wonder if there's any other business in which so many spend so much of their time saying "no" to each other.
                    NO.

Comment

From my experience, only advertising. But they usually add 'um' and a very long pause before saying no. And if you want a pretentious smirk to go with it, you always have to grovel a bit harder.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Government.
                        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I don't mind a no. No can give you guidance. It's the non-answer that's frustrating.

Comment

Spam?

EJ

Comment

Depends on what you mean by "no."

If you are referring to the "no's" that come when people are trying to break in -- there are countless competitive professions where there a lot more people on the outside trying to get in than will ever be on inside making a living at it.

Professional musicians, artists, actors, pro sports. All of those lines have, in their own way, tons of people who bring their work to the professional forge, where it is hammered and the vast majority will be rejected and only a few will be accepted.

Now if you mean "no" within the professional world -- that happens a lot too.

Every profession in which jobs are "bid" on is a world full of a lot of "no" vs. the occasional "yes."

Sometimes the terms of the job are fixed and you have to come in with the lowest amount of money.

Sometimes the money is fixed and the terms of the job are variable -- that's the way it is when architects or advertisers have to come in and present their vision of the finished building or the prospective campaign.

Sometimes, neither are fixed. We come in and present our pitch for a project (same for directors) and depending on who we are, we might get paid more or less.

But in all of the above cases, one will get the nod, and all the others will get turned down.

This is by no means, nor has it ever been an uncommon way of doing business. It's the nature of this or any business where there's a much higher supply of potential makers of the product than there are buyers.

We have always been on the wrong side of what is known as a "buyer's market."

NMS

Comment

Working...
                              X