Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to specify vehicle make and model?

Before I include a specific make and model of vehicle in a screenplay, does anyone know if permission has to be obtained from (and/or payment made to) the manufacturer before a vehicle can feature in a movie?

(I would like to have the delightful A-10 Thunderbolt 'tankbuster' aircraft in my screenplay, but I'm concerned that it might be possible for the Northrop Grumman Corporation to prevent their product appearing in the movie.)
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Re: OK to specify vehicle make and model?

some people think it's presumptuous to mention a specific brand or song ect. on your screenplay, but go ahead man, if it helps picture what it is you are trying to accomplish then great.

At worst, if the script does get purchased, whoever purchased it is the one that needs to make that descision of dealing or not dealing with any licensing, and can/will change it if need-be.

Just because you put in a FORD mustang, does not mean they won't replace that for a Toyota corolla if that's what they see fit or if that's who they have a partnership with.

Just write what it is you see in your head, the rest will be up to them.
    "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
    SUBTITLED
    Episode 1 (Beef pills)
    Episode 2 (African commercial)
    Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
      Before I include a specific make and model of vehicle in a screenplay, does anyone know if permission has to be obtained from (and/or payment made to) the manufacturer before a vehicle can feature in a movie?

(I would like to have the delightful A-10 Thunderbolt 'tankbuster' aircraft in my screenplay, but I'm concerned that it might be possible for the Northrop Grumman Corporation to prevent their product appearing in the movie.)
      they will give literally zero ****s

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

See the difference between a good writer (joebanks) and me? He can say what i said in 4 paragraphs in one line.
        "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
        SUBTITLED
        Episode 1 (Beef pills)
        Episode 2 (African commercial)
        Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying that permission or licensing are never necessary for any specific vehicle/aircraft to appear in a movie? Even if they feature heavily and/or get blown to bits?
          Last edited by Crayon; 01-09-2016, 08:41 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying that permission or licensing are never necessary for any specific vehicle/aircraft to appear in a movie? Even if they feature heavily and/or get blown to bits?
            It makes no difference, because the writer doesn't make that call. If your script sells those decisions are made by the powers that be (anyone except the writer.)

You can specify or not specify, just be careful not to bog the script down with detail that means nothing to the reader. Glazed eyes are not your friend.
            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
            Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
              It makes no difference, because the writer doesn't make that call. If your script sells those decisions are made by the powers that be (anyone except the writer.)
              Sorry to be a bore, but I'm still not clear on this. Are you saying that permission and/or licensing is required before a specific make and model of vehicle or aircraft can appear in a movie? Can someone please confirm that?

(Because, if that is correct, then I'll avoid writing action that describes or depends upon any unique characteristics and capabilitlies of the A-10 Thunderbolt, or any other particular vehicle/aircraft.)

Comment

Do whatever serves the story. Films are loaded with product placements anyways, so unless it specifically puts a product in an unflattering light, I wouldn't worry about it. Let legal department do that. It can always be edited out later. Ex: in "GO," a brand name cleaner was bagged with a food item in a check-out scene (in the script). In the film, it was changed to some generic (for obvious reasons).

Comment

Sorry to be a bore, but I'm still not clear on this. Are you saying that permission and/or licensing is required before a specific make and model of vehicle or aircraft can appear in a movie? Can someone please confirm that?

(Because, if that is correct, then I'll avoid writing action that describes or depends upon any unique characteristics and capabilitlies of the A-10 Thunderbolt, or any other particular vehicle/aircraft.)
                  Maybe this will be clear: I have been a working writer at the major studios for 9 years. I have never thought twice about using whatever car, plane, rocket, brand of cola, or news channel I need to tell my story. It has never been an issue. Use the A-10.

Comment

Originally posted by dmizzo View Post
                    Maybe this will be clear: I have been a working writer at the major studios for 9 years. I have never thought twice about using whatever car, plane, rocket, brand of cola, or news channel I need to tell my story. It has never been an issue. Use the A-10.
                    Thanks dmizzo. That'll do for me.

Yay! The 'Warthog' stays in the picture.

Comment

It depends on the way the vehicle is shot/portrayed. You can't "confuse ownership" of a brand without the brand owner's permission. So what that means is you can't show the dancing horse of a Ford Mustang up close and in focus. Or, as they do in tire commercials, you can simply remove the emblems. I have no idea if military vehicles even have emblems in the same way that everyday vehicles do.

If you simply have a scene where your character is getting in/out of the vehicle or driving in it, again depending on the way you assemble the shot, you do not necessarily need to get anyone's permission.

At the same time, I'm not sure being ultra-specific to the kind of tank just for the sake of it necessarily adds anything of value. Unless your script is about the Battle of the Somme or you've got a character who is a military hardware expert or something. So, probably not worth tearing your hair out over it. Other factors determine whether your script is "good enough" or not.

Comment

You shouldn't worry about this in a screenplay.

In the finished film, things get complicated, and honestly I've heard different things. Some productions play it safe and greek out brand names, some negotiate usage, and some pay no mind.

A lot depends on the specifics of the usage. e.g., if somebody dies in a low-speed car crash in the story, the production is much more likely to obscure the name of the car brand, whereas if it's just that this is the car the person drives, it's not big deal.

If you're writing a film which has an A-10 actually appear, just write it and let the producers figure it out. Clearly you have a budget to allow people whose job it is to solve that stuff to solve that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by juunit View Post
                          It depends on the way the vehicle is shot/portrayed. You can't "confuse ownership" of a brand without the brand owner's permission. So what that means is you can't show the dancing horse of a Ford Mustang up close and in focus.
                          Respectfully, this is not good advice in context of the original question. None of this makes any difference to the writer.

Just refer to dmizzo's advice because this is how it is in the real world:
                          " I have been a working writer at the major studios for 9 years. I have never thought twice about using whatever car, plane, rocket, brand of cola, or news channel I need to tell my story. It has never been an issue. Use the A-10."

If you need to write a specific vehicle or perfume or clothing brand or anything in your script because it matters to the story, then write it. If your script is purchased there's a whole sequence of processes to determine what can and what can't be used in the film, but for your spec script, write what you want.
                          "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                          X