ONE SHOT trailer -- um, how short IS Tom Cruise?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ONE SHOT trailer -- um, how short IS Tom Cruise?

Agree with Infinite Jest here, nothing about that trailer made it seem evern remotely like a Jack Reacher story. No idea where all the driving came from, maybe they want to have lots of cool car chases, but that isn't Reacher and they way he is dressed, which is played up in the trailer is not how Reacher would dress.

I'll never understand why they buy a story with an in-built audience then make something completely different out of it. Of course we can always hope that its just a bad trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
      Of course we can always hope that its just a bad trailer.
      The trailer is bad because the source material is bad. Started KILLING FLOOR and gave up 50 pages in. Cheesy plotting, bad dialogue, cardboard characters, blah, blah. Maybe they get better?

Unless the trailer is hiding some AWESOME stuff, this is B-movie junk.

Amazed a star of his caliber would touch this. Surely he can find better projects?

Also, they changed the title from ONE SHOT to JACK REACHER. How does that help anything?

DUMB FACTOID: the character was named for tall grocery store clerks who reach for stuff on the upper shelves. Lee Child said he would be doing that if the first book flopped. How inspired.
      Last edited by SNAFU; 07-06-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
        Unless the trailer is hiding some AWESOME stuff, this is B-movie junk.
        Werner Herzog as the heavy. I'd see it just for that.

Comment

Have to agree the source material doesn't seem that good. I checked out an audio book of a Reacher story from the library & couldn't get thru it.

Tried reading the script & couldn't get thru that either. Came off as extremely generic.

Ppl need to lay of Cruise's height. There are plenty of short action stars... Statham, Jackie Chan, Jet Li...

It's not about height, it's about being convincing.

Sometimes Cruise just isn't very convincing as a bad ass. (I think it's mostly his voice actually.)

Herzog as a villain is cool sounding! (He's got a great voice.)

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by Bairn_Writer View Post
            ...and they way he is dressed, which is played up in the trailer is not how Reacher would dress.
            Whoever was in charge of wardrobe on this movie should be flipping burgers at a truck stop right now, because they truly suck at anything that has to do with film costuming.

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
              Ppl need to lay of Cruise's height. There are plenty of short action stars... Statham, Jackie Chan, Jet Li...

It's not about height, it's about being convincing.
              No. This guy is supposed to be an ex-military policeman, they come in one size; BIG. They need to be able to intimidate military personnel in some situations or when required arrest trained military personnel who may not want to be arrested.

To be intimidating a big guy just is, a little guy has to act it. A big guy can look over crowds, Tom would get lost in a crowd, a big guy in a crowd can just ram his way through, a little guy has to weasel his way through. That all goes changes how the character is played. Lets face it we've seen plenty of little guys making good against physical adversity, hell we've probably seen ten Tom Cruise instances of it. What we haven't seen much of lately is a blunt force trauma type hero, just Hollywood aiming low and churning out the same BS. Casting Cruise in this was a lost opportunity to change the game
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

They put him on an apple crate - he is instantly tall.

They shoot from a slightly low angle - he is instantly tall.

They hire shorter actors or put them in a trench - he is instantly taller.

Movies are make believe.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

Movies are make believe.

- Bill
                  Yeah, but believing this guy is a hard ass is a tall order.

Pun not intended.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

Movies are make believe.

- Bill
                    Then they should have tried all of the above, because he looks tiny in the trailer.

I swear, it's like they're trying to flip off the fans.

Weird, just weird.

Comment

I've read all the books and I was horrified when Cruise was cast.

However, the trailer looks like the world I imagined in the novels and Cruise has 'look' of the Jack Reacher of my mind (if not the bulk), so I will reserve my judgement until I see the film.

It's a bit like when I heard Matt Damon was going to play Jason Bourne. I just couldn't imagine him as a kick-ass hero.
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                        What we haven't seen much of lately is a blunt force trauma type hero, just Hollywood aiming low and churning out the same BS. Casting Cruise in this was a lost opportunity to change the game
                        Hollywood aiming low would be the same old, same old we've had for decades where the protag is big and strong and the baddest (even when played by a small guy). Such as Faster.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Should of cast Tom Hardy, that guy would of been perfect.
                          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Ooh, good call on Tom Hardy.

As for the Crusie baiting, I remember wimilar whinings when he got cast in Interview With the Vampire and look how well that turned out.
                            M.A.G.A.

Comment

No. This guy is supposed to be an ex-military policeman, they come in one size; BIG. They need to be able to intimidate military personnel in some situations or when required arrest trained military personnel who may not want to be arrested.
                              I take it you're speaking opinion stated as fact 'cause it certainly wasn't the world I saw. (I was not an MP, though.)

As far as Cruise being short, who cares? Cruise has proven time and time again he can play a bad-ass. That shot in the trailer where he's surrounded by guys bigger than him was done deliberately, I'd guess.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people on here who haven't made a movie know how to make movies.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
                                Then they should have tried all of the above, because he looks tiny in the trailer.

I swear, it's like they're trying to flip off the fans.

Weird, just weird.
                                Makes him seem all the more tougher. Like Bruce Lee. and Mighty Mouse.

Also, the Reacher from the novels is boring. he's far bigger, stronger, tougher and expertly trained than anybody else. He has no weaknesses and that in itself is his biggest weakness - like Superman. His fans may lap that up but it's got all the tension of a Steven Seagal fight.

Most important skill sets are standard police skills: intelligence, problem solving, profiling, interrogation etc. The physical aspect is secondary at best. As for someone who doesn't want be caught - the same goes for the 6' 4" gun-toting bank robber that standard (and standard sized) police have to deal with. But again, size is secondary, at best.

To be intimidating a big guy just is, a little guy has to act it.
                                Couldn't disgaree more. met plenty of gentle giants in my time as well as plenty of average and under who naturally project a menacing presence.

A big guy can look over crowds
                                Again, this isn't going to be high on a list of personal requirements for wold-be police candidates.

a big guy in a crowd can just ram his way through, a little guy has to weasel his way through.
                                Anyone can ram their way through. Size is immaterial.
                                Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 07-07-2012, 03:41 AM.
                                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X