When your agent doesn't like your script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When your agent doesn't like your script...

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
    I can't read thru all these posts but lemme offer this...

It happens to me often. I mostly spec sh!t my reps don't like. In the end, you're screwed and it's time to find alternative avenues while WRITING A NEW SPEC. (for those that remember, Me and Mongo had to put one of these projects on the internet.)

When I spec edge, non-commercial sh!t, I know the odds are my reps won't wanna go wide with it. They're not in that business.

If your reps can't get behind your script, they're not gonna be able to sell it. They're not gonna be able to sell you on the next job.

Get over it and start writing a new spec.
    So what exactly are you saying? Write what you want and know that you will have to get it out there yourself, or never write what your rep won't take out?

Comment

So what exactly are you saying? Write what you want and know that you will have to get it out there yourself,
      Pretty much this.

And I'm also saying people shouldn't expect reps at major agencies to be interested in "difficult" material unless that was an understanding going on... and it's never an understanding going in unless you're a known commodity: Rian Johnson, Paul T Anderson, etc.

When I write stuff with kids being shot in the face, I know there's no "market" for that. I know the only way that spec is gonna get traction is if it one day finds a producer who feels passionate about it. I also know i have my bills paid before I write it because I know what I know which is mostly everything--or at least I know that I"m gonna get limited support from my reps and the town.

Look at the movies hollywood is making. Did you write one of those? Yes? Then there's a good chance you're gonna get traction with that script in some form. Did you write a western? Did you write a ballerina thriller? Did you write about Stephen Dorff living at the Marmont? Then you wrote some sh!t that hollywood only makes for the Coens, Aronofsky, and Coppola.

Can't be mad at the system, can't beat the system, you can only understand it and accept it in your face.

Comment

Can't be mad at the system, can't beat the system, you can only understand it and accept it in your face.
        This is awesome. If I wasn't feeling so lazy, I'd probably make it my signature.
        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Pretty much this.

And I'm also saying people shouldn't expect reps at major agencies to be interested in "difficult" material unless that was an understanding going on... and it's never an understanding going in unless you're a known commodity: Rian Johnson, Paul T Anderson, etc.

When I write stuff with kids being shot in the face, I know there's no "market" for that. I know the only way that spec is gonna get traction is if it one day finds a producer who feels passionate about it. I also know i have my bills paid before I write it because I know what I know which is mostly everything--or at least I know that I"m gonna get limited support from my reps and the town.

Look at the movies hollywood is making. Did you write one of those? Yes? Then there's a good chance you're gonna get traction with that script in some form. Did you write a western? Did you write a ballerina thriller? Did you write about Stephen Dorff living at the Marmont? Then you wrote some sh!t that hollywood only makes for the Coens, Aronofsky, and Coppola.

I think most of us realize that "difficult material" is not likely to get a whole lot of traction, especially from unknown writers. What interests me in this thread is the decision that writers make to yes or no try to get their passion projects out there on their own if their rep won't. I'm curious as to how much that happens and how it affects the writer / rep relationship.

Comment

I'm in similar but different position right now.

I'm a little bothered but, am working on a new spec right now and am almost done with the first draft. And have a another script, bout to be in play so we have distractions. But I totally feel your pain here, it's a difficult position to be in. And you don 't want to go against your agent, but never know who may be right.

John August said something that gives me nightmares. He said his agent didn't believe in GO, and he fired him. Got a new rep and then sold GO. But you have to ask yourself, did John August luck out? Or was he smart to trust and bet on himself, and now we have a happy Hollywood ending? In this climate going the John August route may be tricky. At the same time there comes a point when a writer has to trust and bet on himself.

My old manager said something, "If we could do your job, we would be writers. No one is ever right until the script sells".

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
              My old manager said something, "If we could do your job, we would be writers. No one is ever right until the script sells".
              That is some serious food for thought! Thanks for sharing your story and this quote.

Standing by our writing is so crucial to our voices and to our success. But we do have to listen to the people who know the business side of the art.

Comment

You should T-shirt that **** on Cafepress.
                2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

I've literally had a boutique agent tell me if I left my current agent (at one of the big 4) she would be able to sell the script that got me signed with them. I took a leap of faith, left the big daddy and signed with her.

One year later and this particular script is still lining my bird cage. For what it's worth, the door was left open by the big agency and like a prodigal child, I'm returning in a few weeks.

My point is, my big agent understood the script as an excellent show piece to get me into the door of several producers. I took advantage of that and met dozens of producers during that time, all the while figuring if it's gotten me into this many doors how come the script itself wasn't selling?! The reason is, it's a small drama by a small fish. I became delusional and didn't want to hear that at all, so when this boutique came along I jumped ship prematurely. Now I'm crawling back because it turns out my original agent knew what the hell he was talking about after all.

Sometimes we get caught up in our own ego and forget the reality of the market and those who know the market better than we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                    I've literally had a boutique agent tell me if I left my current agent (at one of the big 4) she would be able to sell the script that got me signed with them. I took a leap of faith, left the big daddy and signed with her.

One year later and this particular script is still lining my bird cage. For what it's worth, the door was left open by the big agency and like a prodigal child, I'm returning in a few weeks.

My point is, my big agent understood the script as an excellent show piece to get me into the door of several producers. I took advantage of that and met dozens of producers during that time, all the while figuring if it's gotten me into this many doors how come the script itself wasn't selling?! The reason is, it's a small drama by a small fish. I became delusional and didn't want to hear that at all, so when this boutique came along I jumped ship prematurely. Now I'm crawling back because it turns out my original agent knew what the hell he was talking about after all.

Sometimes we get caught up in our own ego and forget the reality of the market and those who know the market better than we do.
                    Wow, that was the most constructive, concrete example/advice I've seen on this issue in a long time. Good Luck Telly. Hope that one gets out of the birdcage. Will you have to change it much?
                    " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ Scribe View Post
                      Wow, that was the most constructive, concrete example/advice I've seen on this issue in a long time. Good Luck Telly. Hope that one gets out of the birdcage. Will you have to change it much?
                      Yes Telly, thanks for sharing your story! It's a different result than we would all hope for, but it's an outcome we must considered. I wish you the best! Thanks again for helping me and other learn.

Comment

What interests me in this thread is the decision that writers make to yes or no try to get their passion projects out there on their own if their rep won't. I'm curious as to how much that happens and how it affects the writer / rep relationship.
                        It can get dicey with the reps. Depending on how you move with your own material, you're kind of challenging them when you pursue exposing a script they've deemed unworthy or, worse, uncommercial.

It's rare that a rep will think you're writing is just too off-point to expose to the town, so this conflict usually happens when you're going too edgy or weird or whatever. I try to warn my guys ahead of time, "look, kids are going to get their brains blown out"

Usually you will be vindicated in some form. You prep them in advance. They do the "limited release" which I believe is their technique to kill your **** and shut you up. They get good reads. Give the script to a few more people. You get in the room on a gig.

I've never been so vindicated that I've sold the script but getting a gig can be a pretty healthy "i told you so." it gives you weight the next time you write something, too.

But again, it does get dicey.

Comment

Interesting stuff. Clearly actors and directors get involved with small or difficult passion projects that their reps must not be too wild about. But even well known actor-producers or director-producers can get the door slammed in their faces all over town, despite their fame and box office clout.

If you're Mel Gibson though, you can say fvck you, finance the film yourself and make one of the most successful independent films in the history of cinema

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

If you're Mel Gibson though, you can say fvck you, finance the film yourself and make one of the most successful independent films in the history of cinema
                            You can also slap women, hate on Hanukkah, and keep on working.

Ah, Hollywood.
                            QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                              Interesting stuff. Clearly actors and directors get involved with small or difficult passion projects that their reps must not be too wild about. But even well known actor-producers or director-producers can get the door slammed in their faces all over town, despite their fame and box office clout.

God hates Mel. He'd be much happier without the fame and money.

Comment

That was a good post, Telly.

I think it's just like readers. You find someone whose opinion you trust and then set your ego aside while you follow their advice, but not everybody knows what they're talking about. The hard part is figuring out whether or not you can trust them, methinks.
                                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                                X