Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HBO Launches Fellowship

Has there ever been a successful lawsuit against the entertainment industry for age discrimination? I've been in the broadcast television industry for thirty years and I've never heard of one. Not even for a secretarial position. I overheard a conversation between a reporter and her boss once that she was looking aged and needed more time in the gym. What do you do but nod and say ok. Quit at 36? File a lawsuit? Don't think so.

As far as the motion picture industry, all I ever hear is 'don't tell them how old you are.' To me it's just a given and I don't think about it because there's no point. I mean crimanitley-whittler, look how they treat women. And people of color.

The entertainment industry as a whole is discriminatory and always has been probably since Vaudeville. But the difference between Hollywood and a cotton gin in Mississippi is Hollywood does it solely for return on investment. Because in Hollywood that's all that matters. And God knows they got the lawyers to prove it.
    Last edited by AE35-Unit; 08-20-2015, 01:08 PM.
    We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

"...look how they treat women. And people of color."

In a fellowship to provide access to women and minorities, HBO discriminated against another protected class in requiring date of birth. The burden will be on HBO to show a legitimate reason for the asking, and no disparate impact against over-40 applicants resulting from the asking. HBO may be golden if the average or medium age of the winners is 42, but that's not my best guess. What would be yours? 20s? 30s? Hollywood will be as arrogant as it's always been in matters of equal opportunity - unless it costs them money; unless their future employment decisions are restricted, overseen by federal and state agencies. It is always a question of leadership or lack thereof whether outside agencies like EEOC or California's FEPA have to step in.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
        Has there ever been a successful lawsuit against the entertainment industry for age discrimination? .
        Yes.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan...rs23-2010jan23

"A long and winding legal battle that raised uncomfortable questions about Hollywood's treatment of middle-aged and older TV writers was settled Friday, a decade after a class-action lawsuit alleged they were the victims of widespread age discrimination.

Under the settlement, 17 major networks and production studios, along with seven talent agencies, agreed to pay $70 million to thousands of writers to resolve 19 claims.

A group of 165 writers alleged that the networks, studios and talent agencies unfairly squeezed out writers older than 40 in their efforts to capture younger audiences, denying them employment on dramas and situation comedies."
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Lauri, in retrospect I do seem to remember something about that lawsuit. Thanks for digging it up.
          We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Working...
          X