Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer gets fired from upcoming Law & Order spinoff for controversial comments

I didn't know where to post this. If the administrator can help, that's fine. Anyway, yikes.

The coronavirus pandemic and the recent protests have revealed a lot about ourselves and it's not always pretty.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/craig-g...mpression=true
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 06-02-2020, 03:29 PM. Reason: Removed extra spacing.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Writer gets fired from upcoming Law & Order spinoff for controversial comments

Nothing like inciting a little violence. Yikes! Can't even understand his choice... is that a REAL weapon?

Twitter isn't your home, locker room, or a private party. It's the world. If you post **** like this, you give no one any choice but to excise themselves from knowing you. An extreme statement, for sure.

Too bad. I'd say that maybe no one knew he has these kind of sentiments, but chances are he hasn't been hiding his beliefs.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: Writer gets fired from upcoming Law & Order spinoff for controversial comments

He's a badass in his own mind. There are millions of people with firearms prepared to use them to protect their property and families. They don't advertise it on Twitter.

This fool felt compelled to pose showing off his big weapon to prove to the world how tough he is. 'Look at me!'

Ironically he brags about his own criminal past in his IMDB profile making sure everyone knows his daddy was a killer and he robbed people as a teen:

Born in South Carolina, raised in North Carolina. Craig's father went to prison for Manslaughter when Craig was 13. He was on his own by the time he was 16, forming a burglary/robbery crew, and became a professional thief. Craig then went to prison himself at the age of 18. Paroled at 20, and knowing he'd be killed or go back to prison if he remained down south. Craig moved to Chicago where he received a degree in fiction/creative writing from Columbia College Chicago.
      I guess it's cool to be a "professional thief" but looting is a no no.

His defenders are saying that being fired is a violation of his freedom of speech. He's free to say anything he wants. His employer is free to fire him.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

He's a badass in his own mind.
        This.

Not sure what qualifies one for badass status, but John Boyega at the BLM protest/march in London seems pretty close.

https://twitter.com/DionneGrant/stat...87516127117312

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          Nothing like inciting a little violence. Yikes! Can't even understand his choice... is that a REAL weapon?

Twitter isn't your home, locker room, or a private party. It's the world. If you post **** like this, you give no one any choice but to excise themselves from knowing you. An extreme statement, for sure.

Too bad. I'd say that maybe no one knew he has these kind of sentiments, but chances are he hasn't been hiding his beliefs.
          The photo was on Facebook, not Twitter, but you're right about social media being the world, and it tends to be cosmetically shallow. In this case, it's compounded with the lack of common sense since the dumbass previously worked on two police dramas. No one's saying you can't defend your home, but since the looters are targeting businesses (not good) and not private homes, you shouldn't drink the paranoia cocktail.

Like I said, the two pandemics (one biological, the other sociopolitical/racial) have revealed a lot about ourselves, and it's not always pretty.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 06-05-2020, 07:15 AM. Reason: Removed extra line breaks
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

A-breakin' chops on Facebook is fun
            I fought the wall and
            The wall won
            I fought the wall and the
            Wall won

A-robbin' producers with my
            Cap gun
            I fought the wall and
            The wall won
            Wall won.

I wanted credibility 'cause I
            Had none
            I fought the wall and
            The wall won
            Wall won.

I miss my million dollar sal'ry and the
            Coke spoon
            I fought the wall and
            The wall won
            Wall won

I left my showrunner and I feel so bad
            My cooked goose is done
            That goose dropped golden ye-e-eggs
            I fought the wall and
            The wall won
            Wall won
            Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 06-04-2020, 12:02 PM. Reason: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
              A-breakin' chops on Facebook is fun
              I fought the wall and
              The wall won
              Wall won

A-robbin' producers with my
              Cap gun
              I fought the wall and
              The wall won
              Wall won.

I wanted credibility 'cause I
              Had none
              I fought the wall and
              The wall won
              Wall won.

I miss my million dollar sal'ry and the
              Coke spoon
              I fought the wall and
              The wall won
              Wall won

I left my showrunner and I feel so bad
              My cooked goose is done
              That goose dropped golden ye-e-eggs
              I fought the wall and
              The wall won
              Wall won

Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                I didn't know where to post this. If the administrator can help, that's fine. Anyway, yikes.

The coronavirus pandemic and the recent protests have revealed a lot about ourselves and it's not always pretty.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/craig-g...mpression=true
                Like so many others of his ilk, this dude's heart and soul be all ugly inside.
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

If he went to prison he's not allowed to own a gun anyway. He snitched on himself.

His post/photo was douchey to the maximum degree. I agree with this statement -
                  Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                  He's a badass in his own mind. There are millions of people with firearms prepared to use them to protect their property and families. They don't advertise it on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    I get that his delivery of said sentiments would be douchey in the best of times and pathetically stupid in the current environment, but I don't see what is controversial about the sentiments themselves. If he'd posted something (without the photo) like - "The looting is two blocks away from my house now. Please don't target my home or I will defend it," - would he have been fired? Probably not, but I understand that even a post like might not be necessary or effective. I could understand the anxiety if it's that close to home though.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                      I get that his delivery of said sentiments would be douchey in the best of times and pathetically stupid in the current environment, but I don't see what is controversial about the sentiments themselves. If he'd posted something (without the photo) like - "The looting is two blocks away from my house now. Please don't target my home or I will defend it," - would he have been fired? Probably not, but I understand that even a post like might not be necessary or effective. I could understand the anxiety if it's that close to home though.

The thing is he worked on two police dramas, "Chicago P.D." and the S.W.A.T. reboot (the writing staff posted this on their Twitter account: https://twitter.com/SWATWritersRoom/...047853568?s=19) before getting sacked from the upcoming one. Obviously, he's been exposed to law enforcement, so why post anything PERIOD?

Comment

I get you. The guy doesn't seem particularly bright.

Comment

Yep that was a pretty stoopid thing to do but is anyone else thinking it's pretty sucky to lose your job and your representation in this economic climate?

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                            Yep that was a pretty stoopid thing to do but is anyone else thinking it's pretty sucky to lose your job and your representation in this economic climate?

It goes without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                              Of course it's sucky. It's also sucky that he's an adult man who felt compelled to pose with a huge automatic weapon (what kind of weapon was that?) threatening to kill people.

Frankly, why should an employer keep him on staff after that? Especially in an industry where the number of pro TV writers greatly exceeds the number of staff jobs? Pros who would and could do the job very well without the controversy?

Posting that pic and comment on facebook (which was later screenshot and put on twitter by someone else), reveals a lot about him -- a hothead who is reckless and doesn't think about possible consequences of his actions. I wouldn't want to hire or work with someone like that, either.

People need to be aware of what they put on social media under their real names.
                              Last edited by sc111; 06-12-2020, 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                              X