Writing Screenplay With Collaborator (Based On His Life)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Screenplay With Collaborator (Based On His Life)

So I will be writing a screenplay, but it is based on another person's life. He will be working with me, but not writing anything.

Typically, when are agreements signed for something like this? Right from the get-go? Also, what are the splits typically for something like this?

Re: Writing Screenplay With Collaborator (Based On His Life)

No split; he's a producer, you're the writer. You get separate fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Shutout View Post
      So I will be writing a screenplay, but it is based on another person's life. He will be working with me, but not writing anything.

Typically, when are agreements signed for something like this? Right from the get-go? Also, what are the splits typically for something like this?
      The splits are whatever you agree they are. You can be co-writers splitting the take 50 - 50. I've done that before with a bio film. That way I didn't have to get life rights since he was my partner. But sign a contract with each other now. As for you being the writer and him a producer? Uh... No. That could end up a mess of biblical proportions when trying to sell the script.

Comment

Might want to go with credits as:
        Screenplay by You
        Story by Other Guy and You

Money split would be whatever you both can agree on. i'd definitely recommend running it through an entertainment attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
          Might want to go with credits as:
          Screenplay by You
          Story by Other Guy and You

Money split would be whatever you both can agree on. i'd definitely recommend running it through an entertainment attorney.
          Is there a standard for splits when going this rout? Is it usually 50 50? Writer usually get more?

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
            The splits are whatever you agree they are. You can be co-writers splitting the take 50 - 50. I've done that before with a bio film. That way I didn't have to get life rights since he was my partner. But sign a contract with each other now. As for you being the writer and him a producer? Uh... No. That could end up a mess of biblical proportions when trying to sell the script.

Did you have a lawyer come up with an agreement or did you just use a sample one from the WGA?

Comment

He will be working with me, but not writing anything.
              Originally posted by EdFury View Post
              As for you being the writer and him a producer? Uh... No. That could end up a mess of biblical proportions when trying to sell the script.
              He's not writing, he's the life rights holder (even if it is his own life rights). Sure, Brian Grazer or Scott Rudin aren't going to share full producer with him so he'll probably end up as exec or co producer but don't go giving your writing credit to someone who isn't writing.

Comment

Is there a standard for splits when going this rout? Is it usually 50 50? Writer usually get more?
                There's no standard amount. So much goes into play when you write a biopic on spec. However, as the screenwriter, I would hold out for a minimum of 50% if there is no existing IP to work from.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
                  He's not writing, he's the life rights holder (even if it is his own life rights). Sure, Brian Grazer or Scott Rudin aren't going to share full producer with him so he'll probably end up as exec or co producer but don't go giving your writing credit to someone who isn't writing.
                  Doesn't matter if he's writing or not. He's contributing to the writing by consulting on his life. And it's WAY easier to option or sell a script without producer attachment that needs to be negotiated too. Split the money, split the credit. Be happy. See if it works.

Comment

Working...
                  X