Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #111
NYNEX

Default Re: LA Neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMike View Post
Metro rocks. but what did you when you got to Hollywood or trying to go to, say, Fox Studio / Lot?

cab? walk?
Taking the bus from Venice Beach to Hollywood is easy. Take the big blue bus to Santa Monica, and simply get on the bus that goes down Santa Monica Boulevard (the 4), or the 2( which goes down Sunset Boulevard).
Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #112
Charli

We have a lot of openings now here in nice neighborhoods in Santa Monica. Lots of these vacation rentals now need to be vacated, or rented as apartments. A lot of nice rentals, I'd suggest anyone looking in the area, you can bargain, our landlord already cut some of our rental knowing we could go elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #113
Peter Clines
New User

I currently live in the Valley and love it (right on the Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys edge). My girlfriend and I both lived (seperately) in the Koreatown/ Los Feliz area. Moving to the valley saved us over $300 a month, plus we got another parking space, another room, and a pool. There's even two gigantic parks within walking distance.

I would avoid Long Beach, personally. Bad rep, a bit too distant, and half the time you'd be struggling up the 405, which has been know to reach speeds in excess of 25 mph. But not often.

I've found West Hollywood to be central to everthing except the freeways. You can probably expect a 20-45 minute fight across surface streets to get to one, depending on the time of day you're travelling.

That's the two biggest things I'd tell anyone to keep in mind when they're moving/ thinking about moving to LA. A "cheap" apartment in Los Angeles cost the same as a mortgage on a large house in most other parts of the country. My first place here was a one-room studio with no parking and I was paying $750 a month. And most of my friends were amazed that I had found a studio for only $750. Granted, the view was spectacular, but not quite that spectacular.

Second is travel time. LA is a huge, sprawling city with millions of people living in it. It takes time to travel everywhere. Possibly lots of time. There have been times it's taken me twenty minutes to get from my current place to Paramount. There've been times it's taken over an hour. So be aware of how often you're going to be going places when you use that as a criteria. If you're working on the Fox lot, Culver City's great. If you might go there once every other month... maybe the Valley's a better investment for you.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #114
Charli

This is a RENTER'S market. There are 5 for sale signs on our building alone here in Santa Monica. I'm telling you, go where you'd like and negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #115
Ravenlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Burbank's about 30 mins in traffic I reckon.
Try it before you reckon that. I've never done it, but that sounds awfully fast to me.

Parking in downtown Westwood sucks, and the cops are quick to ticket. There are also way too many college students. But I know people who swear by the area.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #116
Ravenlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
It's better than swearing at the area.
Well, swearing at the area is what I do when I have to go there.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #117
odocoileus

If you're looking at the Valley, the single best location is half a mile radius around the North Hollywood Metro station.

Close to all the Valley studios - CBS Radford, Universal, Disney, Warners, NBC.

In the North Hollywood arts district - lots of little theaters and actors' companies.

Best public transportation options in the city - Orange Line and Red Line. Every ten minutes or so from 5AM to after midnight.

Relatively cheap, not particularly dangerous.

Last edited by odocoileus : 09-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #118
Takezo
Regular

Kind of boring, but the Valley is probably best, if you have kids and are on a budget?

Yeah the valley will be great is you are already a made-member of the MS-13 gang. Not kidding here.

Contact me via PM for advice.
If I gave it out in the open it will create a firestorm.
And you don't need to live in LA--just close.
There are plenty of places that will fill the bill.
I'd stay completely out of the LA basin if I were you.

Also... did you loose your mind? Wanting to move to California!?
FYI--most people are trying to get out.

T
Old 10-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #119
meemee2000
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezo View Post
Also... did you loose your mind? Wanting to move to California!?
FYI--most people are trying to get out.

T
Now you tell us! I just moved here 4 months ago!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #120
odocoileus

the Maras are fairly scarce in the Valley. They're Salvadorans and Guatemalans who aren't particularly welcome in the Valley gangs, which are entirely Mexican.

The Vineland Boys are the Mexican gang which controls the drug trade in North Hollywood and Burbank. A Burbank city councilwoman ( an Anglo) was busted for helping them launder money and buy guns in exchange for coke and meth.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/COUNCILWOMAN+HELD+IN+GANG+BUST+BURBANK+OFFICIAL,+B OYFRIEND...-a0134078800

the LA area overall is safer than many other American big cities, definitely safer than Miami or Detroit, with fewer murders per capita than Chicago. Now it's not Toronto, and there's way more gun play than any city in Western Europe, but it's not Dodge City by a long shot.
Closed Thread