No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my next move?

Good morning all,

So it looks like I have producers and a director interested in making my film. I don't want to get too psyched, as I know how quickly things can go south.

The challenge: I am currently un-repped and navigating these waters on my own.

Would it be wise to approach agents and let them know about the above? Tell them I need someone in my corner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice you can provide.

Re: What's my next move?

Is there an offer on the table? If there's 'real' money involved, look for a rep and lawyer. If it's a low or no money deal, then I'd hold off on contacting agents and you may have to pay for an attorney out of your own pocket. A deal becomes real when a real money offer is made. Until then, I'd hold off on pursuing agents because unlike writers, agents expect to be paid for their services. There needs to be a reasonably sized amount of money on the table for the agent to make their commission. Otherwise, it's a waste of their time.

Comment

Thank you.

No. This all happened within the last few days. The director element, anyway,

Comment

MG is right. Prodcos and directors are constantly circling various scripts, so interest alone won't attract a rep at this point, not until there's an offer on the table. Hope one comes soon - good luck!
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

People who make and sign contracts are (for some reason ) pretty big into having financing in place. Now that there's a director, you/they can probably start to find financing. Once all those are in place, I would assume the rest of it will start to fall into place? Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
            People who make and sign contracts are (for some reason ) pretty big into having financing in place. Now that there's a director, you/they can probably start to find financing. Once all those are in place, I would assume the rest of it will start to fall into place? Congrats.
            Thanks so much. Again, I'm leery of getting too worked up at this point. I have a dozen years of slogging away at this, and have had things fall flat, before.

But hey -- one can hope!

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
              Good morning all,

So it looks like I have producers and a director interested in making my film. I don't want to get too psyched, as I know how quickly things can go south.

The challenge: I am currently un-repped and navigating these waters on my own.

Would it be wise to approach agents and let them know about the above? Tell them I need someone in my corner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice you can provide.
              You won't get an agent from this unless the people who are circling you recommend you to one. Agents don't care about stuff like this unless it's big money, big producer, maybe a studio... then maybe. Your best bet is to wait for a contract, then hire an entertainment lawyer to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                You won't get an agent from this unless the people who are circling you recommend you to one. Agents don't care about stuff like this unless it's big money, big producer, maybe a studio... then maybe. Your best bet is to wait for a contract, then hire an entertainment lawyer to look at it.

Thanks for the advice, Ed.

Comment

Working...
                X