No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official Black List 2012 Thread

Originally posted by coffeywriter View Post
    Is there any traction or fanfare on it now? Can you give us an update on the attention you are getting, since you made the list?
    Tom Schulman had this anecdote where he won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for DEAD POETS SOCIETY. He was presented this award by Jane Fonda who was dating Ted Turner at the time. And back stage, the media kept asking Jane about her relationship with Ted. She said "No, this is about Tom. Please direct your questions to Tom." So the first thing a journalist asks is "Tom, what is your opinion of Jane Fonda dating Ted Turner?"

After realizing his hierarchy in Hollywood, Tom said that he woke up next morning and went back to writing.

So that's kinda how I feel.

Comment

I'm late to the party, but belated congratulations to all who made the Blacklist, and way to go DDers!

For those who missed - better luck next year!
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Congrats to everyone who made the list. Nice to see some DDers on there. Good luck with your projects!

And special congrats to Ham for placing so high. Dang! I think he's the highest placed DDer yet (assuming Diablo & Allen Loeb aren't DDers ).

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

This question is probably going to get me hell, but is it possible to make the Black List without an agent or representation?

Comment

I assume yes; but typically scripts that has reached that exec level are usually by writers with reps or landed a rep through a referral of having such a much-liked script.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
              Tom Schulman had this anecdote where he won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for DEAD POETS SOCIETY. He was presented this award by Jane Fonda who was dating Ted Turner at the time. And back stage, the media kept asking Jane about her relationship with Ted. She said "No, this is about Tom. Please direct your questions to Tom." So the first thing a journalist asks is "Tom, what is your opinion of Jane Fonda dating Ted Turner?"

After realizing his hierarchy in Hollywood, Tom said that he woke up next morning and went back to writing.

So that's kinda how I feel.
              Know I'm praying your script is sold and produced. I always loved your writing and Hillary is a "hero" of mine. (And I can't believe focusing a story on her never entered my mind. Duh on me.) Kudos to you. You deserve all the fanfare you garner, Ham.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Just want to say one word of encouragement to writers.

A year ago, when the Black List 2011 came out, I was looking for representation. All I had was a script that I poured my heart and soul into. That was it. And eventually, it found a champion in my current managers. They believed in the script to show it to agencies, including my current team.

I have always looked at the Black List as an inspiration because of the kinds of new voices that Hollywood recognizes (even if they don't necessarily get made into films). I am not a better writer today than yesterday just because a list says so. That being said, my only advice to you is to keep writing the kinds of stories that speak to you as a writer and as a human being. Inspire us.
                This inspires.
                Congratulations, Hamboogul.
                FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Congratulations to all Black List writers; may your films enlighten us.
                  FA4
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Finally got around to reading Draft Day, and I liked it a lot. It's basically Moneyball for the NFL fan. Well deserved, and I hope it gets made (although I'm not thrilled about Costner being the star, hopefully he's playing a coach or something and not the lead)

Comment

quite a few familiar names--congrats to all who made the list.

Comment

My script went out to a few producers in April. No fanfare. So we stayed out of the various tracking boards. While the script passed around among execs, you could not even get a single google hit on it until the Blacklist came out.

Hamboogul, you're on Perez!! How exciting!!! Lol..

(link to the article) :::

http://perezhilton.com/2013-01-08-hi...-biopic-coming

Comment

That is cool. Thanks for the link. The public interest of the script has been far greater than even my wildest imagination.

Comment

That is cool. Thanks for the link. The public interest of the script has been far greater than even my wildest imagination.
                            Concept matters. Hillary is beloved. Good on you for picking worthy script subject matter. Perez mentioned Oscar (he was talking about actresses) but wouldn't that be amazing for you?

Comment

That's great! Congrats!
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Conz View Post
                                Finally got around to reading Draft Day, and I liked it a lot. It's basically Moneyball for the NFL fan. Well deserved, and I hope it gets made (although I'm not thrilled about Costner being the star, hopefully he's playing a coach or something and not the lead)
                                I gotta be honest..I didn't think moneyball was all that great. A "good" movie, sure. But I was expecting some serious goosebump moments, etc..it was fun to watch, but i dont know..PERSONALLY for me, it was just another movie. I like movies that MOVE me emotionally and extract goosebumps, Im guessing this wasn't the intent of the director.
                                • Go and do likewise gents..

Comment

Working...
                                X