No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John August - thank you

Here here, many thanks! True gentlemen.

Your unfailing candor and continual generosity are much appreciated.
    12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

Yeah, thanks John and Craig! I really enjoy the pod-casts as well!
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I've never listened to a podcast but saw a video clip by August on writing action lines and like magic, my sh1t came together!

I've respect for all the pro's out there who take the time to help the rest of us, but because of the impact of that one vid', I owe John August a great deal.
        Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Awesome podcast. Trove of info. Thanks, JA!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
            I've never listened to a podcast but saw a video clip by August on writing action lines and like magic, my sh1t came together!
            Link, please?
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
              Link, please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4IXNOO_YkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRTbA...Y7BYhA&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPHIb1RweeI

Comment

I recently listened to the Frankenweenie podcast with Jeff Goldsmith at "The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith, and I loved it.

John August is awesome.

FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

It's great to see some positive comments on DDP!

And Mr. Mazin, I hope my title isn't misleading, we appreciate the heck out of you too. You are so helpful, coming on DDP and giving advice, and your comments on the podcast are great.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you and all the other posters on her that have shown their appreciation!
                  www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                  http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

I agree. I recently graduated from film school, and we used to have a writing teacher who highly encouraged us (just about required us) to listen to John and Craig. They have been amazingly helpful and encouraging.

Comment

I'm not a regular August reader, but I came across these tutorials awhile back. It's some of the best stuff I've seen online on writing scenes-- or at least making them better.

Wish there were more nuts & bolts tutorials by working pros... and more stuff on scene writing specifically. There just isn't a lot written on "how to write a scene".

I learned a lot about scene & dialogue writing by taking a playwriting class... and of course trial & error.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Reading Frankenweenie now. Watched and thoroughly enjoyed Big Fish last night. Out of order, I'm wierd.

Comment

For some reason my place of employment blocks access to John August's site, and now, sick at home, I just finally got around to listening to one of the "first three pages" podcasts. I know I'm really late to the party here, but it's AWESOME. Thank you, Craig, and thank you, John. I just might spend the whole day listening to these... And maybe if I'm crazy and sadistic enough I may even submit some pages one of these days...

Comment

One Cool Thing

Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit! You rock Craig, hilarious one cool thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taCa8qBgIFY

Comment

I used to listen to this podcast all the time but I fell out of the habit somehow. It's not like I didn't like it or find it useful, just stopped listening at some point. This is a good reminder to catch up on some of the episodes I missed because they have some really useful...or at least "inneresting" stuff...

Comment

Two awesome guys. Their dedication and generosity are remarkable.

Comment

Working...
                                X