X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WMA Bloodbath

It's was expected, but still so brutal.

http://trackboard.wordpress.com/2009...rom-wma-today/
    Last edited by rockridesva; 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM.

Re: The WMA Bloodbath

like a good christmas turkey, there has to be some trimming of the fat

V-ugly
    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

If you have an agent after the end of the day, hug them.

Comment

I feel for those folks. Rock, thanks for the update.

ramblesandrevels.blogspot.com

Comment

Glad to see all my WMA buddies in video games got left the hell alone. Thats going to be a growing sector for WME as technology continues to advance.

Definitely got to feel for all those that were laid off/fired.
          http://thekillbox.wordpress.com/

Comment

that's really horrible, especially for those that worked their ass off to be promoted to agent and then laid off...
            Representing South Korea's only Talent Agency: http://www.crikorea.com

Comment

Originally posted by lucidimage View Post
              Glad to see all my WMA buddies in video games got left the hell alone. Thats going to be a growing sector for WME as technology continues to advance.
              According to the LA Times...

"UPDATE (3:10 PM): Though William Morris' motion picture and TV departments were both hard hit, only one was eliminated entirely: video games. Cody Alexander, who founded the two-person department six years ago, was among those let go today. As Endeavor doesn't have one, that will leave William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, post-merger, without a video game department. While all five major agencies were involved in the space just a few years ago, only CAA and UTA now have full-time agents covering the video game business."
              https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                According to the LA Times...

"UPDATE (3:10 PM): Though William Morris' motion picture and TV departments were both hard hit, only one was eliminated entirely: video games. Cody Alexander, who founded the two-person department six years ago, was among those let go today. As Endeavor doesn't have one, that will leave William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, post-merger, without a video game department. While all five major agencies were involved in the space just a few years ago, only CAA and UTA now have full-time agents covering the video game business."
                Geez. I couldnt find anything online for it. That's absolutely horrible.

Comment

If you have an agent after the end of the day, hug them.
                  I just threw up in my mouth a little...

A while back I had an agent who was at a boutique agency and went over to WMA. He was told to "trim the fat of his client list." Since I wasn't working at the time, I was "trimmed." Been secretly wishing for the downfall of WMA ever since...

Comment

Originally posted by odriftwood View Post
                    He was told to "trim the fat of his client list."
                    You could have taken that as a possible compliment. Fat is the tasty part.

The glass is half full.

Comment

I note the posts differentiate between 'let go' and 'fired'. Can someone enlighten me on the difference? (as in Europe, 'fired' is not a term that is used unless someone has done something wrong/violation of company policy).

Comment

I think in this case, "let go" is a nicer way of saying fired. Everyone who was on the list was "fired" but because it's a merger, not a disciplinary act or termination, I'd guess they chose to use "let go".

Comment

I disagree with justwriteit. People are layed off because there's no more room for them or because the job has been eliminated or downsizing or something. People are fired because they suck as an employee or because they've violated company policy. The difference between being layed off and fired is a big one...it's like getting an honorable discharge from the service versuses a dishonorable discharge. Being layed-off enables an employee to collect unemployment benefits...I think in most cases of firings benefits can't be collected. Great agents like Gasmer and Hart and lots of others aren't being fired...they've been layed-off.

Comment

Maybe they're better off in the long-run to have been 'let go'. The organization views them as dispensable. While they worked there, the 'dispensable' were unaware that they were viewed as such. The powers that be would never inform them of that, as it would destroy morale and affect the 'dispensable' one's performances. (performances that were wanting already in the view of management)

These agents either didn't kiss enuff tail. Work hard unuff or smart enuff. Or got 'old'. If 'old' the reason... they dug their own grave.

They will just go an bump another cat at a lower-tier agency. That's where the real blood will flow. So don't cry for WM agents Argentina. As Dylan said-- Now aint the time for your tears.
                            Last edited by Charisma; 05-19-2009, 05:58 AM. Reason: paragraphs
                            Doth thou desirest a slapping? - William Shakespeare

Comment

These agents are being let go because they're considered "redundant" -- Endeavor is the stronger agency and is bringing more to the table from what I understand so END agents may stand a stronger shot. So these agents ARE let go -- agents like Alan Gasmer are very, very respected and have made a ton of money for WM. He wasn't fired and no-one perceives him as being a bad employee. But he was redundant to like an Adriana Alberghetti or Phil Raskind (on the END side) -- and perhaps, he didn't get along w Ari, who knows. But the guy will still have an impressive career - -just somewhere else.

Mergers and acquisitions are happening in Corporate America and Hollywood is not immune to it. I worked at NBC when it took over Universal -- and believe me when you've worked in a situation like that, you see very, very talented people let go. Sure, a merger is an excuse for the non-performers to get sacked, but most people are just victims of what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X