http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...d-writing.html

Re: Koppelman on Fear, Writing, and the "Experts"

Awesome message. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Oh, baby.

Comment

Could not read it broken out into tweets so I combined for ease of reading:

When I was making the Vines, we were writing the pilot script for Billions. I was talking to myself about taking risks as much as I was talking to anybody else. I was determined to live it exactly as I was saying it. By writing on spec, Dave, Andrew and I were giving ourselves the freedom to fail, to lose or to write exactly what we wanted on our own terms. that the show got ordered to series today reaffirms for me that this freedom is essential for writers, as scary as it is. And I want you to know that it was ****ing scary… for me too But also thrilling and rewarding in a way that writing for hire rarely, if ever, is.

I know it can seem that once a writer reaches a certain ‘level’ there’s not much he/she is risking. But for the 4 months we wrote first draft, I wasn’t making any money at all. We had just had a movie crash and burn at the box office, and I wasn’t sure how to recapture the fire inside that made me a writer in the first place. The only way was to write, use the fear as fuel. Which, when channeled, it is.

The reason I hate, yeah, hate, so called screenwriting experts who don't actually write, is that employ fear against the writer. IGNORE THEM

I started the podcast–which I have done for free for 14 months–because I wanted people as diverse as @edward_burns and @JasonIsbell to tell me, and you, how they faced that fear. How they defied ‘experts’ and found new ways to do their art, new ways to power through.

I hope that their stories would reaffirm that you don’t need permission from anyone but yourself to work your ass off chasing the dream the truth is, the most frightened people of all have to be the gatekeepers, the ‘teachers,’ the ‘experts.’. B/c they cannot DO anything. They are all Salieri. Courtiers. And honestly, that’s not fair to Sallari. At least he could play a mean harpsichord.

finally: the next time you’re tempted to believe that there are immutable laws of screenwriting only experts can unlock for you, find… the Scriptshadow review of this year’s best picture/screenplay winner, Birdman, Catch the condescending tone he employs, the confidence and know that he is exactly like all the other self proclaimed experts. They are bottom feeders.

You are not. If you try to create, work to go deeper, to improve, to get out of your comfort zone, you have already surpassed them.

Comment

Comment

This post by Koppleman is so strong and full of so much truth. Please everyone take in his words. Everything he said is true. And that is the same path that has now lead my writing partner and I to success. F*ck the rules. There are no rules. Write a great piece of material. That's what will kickstart your career.

Comment

It's not rules that keep people from writing great pieces of material. It's the fear to admit to yourself that you must do better and go further with the development of character and story. Leave the familiar and explore the unfamiliar. That would take admitting or understanding that there are development levels past what you have at the moment.

Look at any pages or logline thread here and you will see people are just really resistant to take on that fear. That's the fear I think he talks about. That great idea you came up with two months ago no longer fits cause you see something better but it would require an overhaul to the concept. Most, I think, just stay put with what they have cause its safer.

Comment

The reason 99.9% of writers fail isn't because they follow or break rules. It's cause they suck. They don't know how to write good dialogue or develop characters. They don't understand how to build tension or structure plot. It's really that simple.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Ignore the other experts, said the expert.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
                    Ignore the other experts, said the expert.
                    no, ignore the "so-called screenwriting experts" said the working screenwriter who gives all of his advice for free

Comment

This is why I come to the forums. I don't want to talk to "screenwriting experts" or "gurus." I want to talk to WRITERS. People like me who are fighting the blank page. Who are dealing with the same problems and use the same jargon.

The past week I've been making a point of meeting up and getting dinner/drinks with other writers to compare notes. It's incredible validating. Know that they're just as confused yet optimistic about how this industry works.

When I can read what you've written, good or bad, I will have way more respect for your opinion on my writing than someone who just makes his/her living criticizing other people's writing without doing any of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                        The reason 99.9% of writers fail isn't because they follow or break rules. It's cause they suck. They don't know how to write good dialogue or develop characters. They don't understand how to build tension or structure plot. It's really that simple.
                        Complete lack of self awareness noted.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
                          Complete lack of self awareness noted.
                          I'm aware my writing needs work. I just think it's all too common for amateurs to complain they're getting dic*ed because of their "bold writing."
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

"Follow your passion." "Take risks in life."

That could be on a fortune cookie.

No I mean really, it's nice to have a successful screenwriter remind of us that and share his personal experience, but come on, duh.

Comment

Working...
                            X