No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming unknown characters

Hi,

I have some characters in my screenplay that I am unsure of how to name them. Not name them like JOHN, KELLY, or STEVE. They are unknown characters -- Identities concealed (by mask) or identities unrevealed.

How do I name them? What do I name them?

MAN #1? MASKED MAN?

Re: Naming unknown characters

This all depends on their function. If they are main characters you should formally introduce them. Unless you really want to conceal their identities for a big reveal.

If they are secondary characters, then ROBBER #1, or CLOWN #2 should suffice.
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Couple schools of thought on that ...

One, if your 'Masked Woman' or 'Mystery Man' are later revealed by name, you can intro them by that name and include their costume.

MARLA, her identity hidden under mask and cloak ...

Two, if you want your reader to discover the reveal much the way a viewing audience will (assuming they don't know), then intro them as their alter ego, and reveal them as the story dictates.

Rob tears the mask off Mystery Woman. It's Marla.

What I don't care for is important (lead) mystery characters who are never identified. The second and third sting characters is passable, but an MC, IMO, should have a reveal at some point. How you do it is your call, so long as it fits the story and writing.

a
      Last edited by alex whitmer; 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I try and avoid ROBBER #1 or OFFICER #2. Instead of a number I use an adjective.

BRUNETTE STRIPPER.
        FAT KID
        TINY THUG.
        Screenplay Questions & Answers - http://screenplayqa.com

Comment

One important thing, I'd think it was obvious, but I've read enough scripts to know that it's not:

You do this when there's a good dramatic impact to the reveal of the character's identity. You DON'T do it just because the hero doesn't know who the person is, yet, or because the audience hasn't heard the name yet.

(No kidding, I once read a script which opened:

TALL MAN
          Hi, my name is Jim.

WOMAN
          Hi.

JIM
          Blah blah blah).

If characters are unnamed because they're unimportant, you can number them, but it's often better to give them descriptive names. eg "Tall Burglar" and "Fat Burglar" are better names than Burglar #1 and Burglar #2.

Also bear in mind that it's really tedious to read a scene between two un-named people. If somebody has more than two lines, or if you're in a scene with a conversation between unnamed people, just name them. It doesn't matter if the audience never hears the name. (The name, on the page, is a stand-in for the actor's face.)

But if there's a dramatic reveal, sometimes you want to withhold the character's name. In that case, come up with a descriptive moniker for them.

Comment

I've read some scripts where there is a MAN then a couple of scenes later there is a different MAN but they are still called MAN.... yeah, don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenplayQA View Post
              I try and avoid ROBBER #1 or OFFICER #2. Instead of a number I use an adjective.

BRUNETTE STRIPPER.
              FAT KID
              TINY THUG.
              I find this is useful for getting more creativity into your story anyway. I wrote TRANSVESTITE ZOMBIE into one of my scripts because I was running out of ways to describe zombies and ended up making a couple of jokes about it that added a little levity to the scene and made it stronger.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Emily, maybe you should keep that zombie alive..err..animated for the sequel-

Transvestite Zombie: Death is a Drag

Comment

Originally posted by johnmonster View Post
                  Emily, maybe you should keep that zombie alive..err..animated for the sequel-

Transvestite Zombie: Death is a Drag
                  Oh great, tell everybody.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenplayQA View Post

BRUNETTE STRIPPER.
                    FAT KID
                    TINY THUG.
                    That's a good idea. It adds a nice pop to your minor characters.

Comment

Working...
                    X