Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Dance

Why bury the lead? THE LAST DANCE is the best sports documentary I've ever seen. It's available on Netflix, produced by ESPN. Glad to see it's nominated for a number of Emmys

Due to the Trumpvirus and lack of live events, ESPN moved up its premier to April. I just got around to it, frankly because ten hours seemed a little daunting.

It's essentially a profile on Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls dynasty of the 1990's. I like Mike but ten hours? Then I thought: sitting through one baseball game with no crowds or excitement feels like ten hours, why not give THE LAST DANCE a try?

So glad I did. I binge-watched the whole thing in two days and was sorry when it ended.

I have not read a single review. I know some people had issues with it. I don't know what those are, nor do I care. I found it compelling throughout and it seemed to portray Michael (I just call him "Michael- because I'm cool) in a balanced light. His greatness is constantly on display, but so is his dark side (and sometimes dick side).

Hey, he's a complex guy dealing with extraordinary circumstances. With greatness comes expectations and unbelievable pressure. Fame can be a curse. And having an amazing gift doesn't shield you from heartache. How much of his glory and riches would he gladly trade not to have his father murdered?

The filmmakers chose a great topic filled with colorful characters, weird twists, and real life suspense. Plus, they were given amazing access to behind-the-scenes revealing moments. The documentary gives us plenty of time to really see who Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman (a ****ing loon who happened to possess athletic skills), Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr and numerous other personalities (both teammates and opponents).

They managed to get just about everybody to be a talking head. Two former presidents (Obama & Clinton) and two former Gods (Magic & Bird). I'm only sorry it wasn't made for CNN because then they probably would have used me.

Finally, (and maybe this is a secondary lead I am burying), you don't have to love the NBA or basketball to enjoy this documentary. It's a sweeping novel and the basketball sequences are filled with suspense and artistry. And it's not made up. It's all true! As otherworldly as you think Michael Jordan is, when you watch the span of his entire career it just takes your breath away.

And you get to see some behind-the-scenes moments of SPACE JAM.

THE LAST DANCE - check it out. Yes, it's ten hours, but where you going for the next six months?

More...
Working...
X