Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Representation and Scripts as calling cards

Hey, I got kind of a dumb question that maybe someone can help me with.

I have a script that I wrote and have gotten quite a bit of praise over from folks in the industry that have read it. However, I want to direct this script myself (I know, it sounds terribly cliche and obnoxious of me to want to be a Writer-director but I've been teaching myself to do both writing and directing for a while now and I have a background in illustration as well as a degree in english)

My question is this: Is it possible to use the script as a calling card to get more work and a manager with while retaining ownership of said script?

(Also I am working on other scripts right now, but they're not complete yet)

If anyone is interested I keep a digital sketchbook of my art (a lot are designs for said script) here: http://phillipbastien.tumblr.com

Re: Question about Representation and Scripts as calling cards.

You can always ask for whatever you want and you will maintain ownership of your script until such time as you sell it. That being said, you can put yourself in a better position before you start asking for what you are wanting.

Managers hear people say they want to direct all of the time. What they need is someone proving they can direct. If you want someone to give you money for a feature, I would suggest at least directing a short film that you can get out on the festival circuit. Prove you can make content and they can trust you with their money.

Scripts are great calling cards for managers. That being said, you are a business investment. They want to know what you can offer them in the long run. Are you worth the investment of their time to get you established? It would be much more helpful to have more than one script ready to show them, to prove you're not a one-trick pony. I'm not saying it's a must, because there are all sorts of different ways people make it in. But every script completed and in your toolbox increases your odds of being seen favorably.

Basically, put yourself in the shoes of the manager. They have no idea who you are. You could be the nicest, hardest working person in the world. They see guy with one script who wants to direct it. Not something that can't be overcome, but several bad Hollywood stories start with that opening. Do what you can to not make their eyes glaze over before you've started (I've seen that look when someone brings up wanting to direct).

Comment

The thing about directing:

You are either writing stuff that's very cheap to produce, so that it's reasonable for you to direct it.

Or

You're out there directing. You're making shorts. You're getting commercial work. You're actually directing.

I'm all for ambition, but if you think from a manager or producer's angle, what are they going to say if your only argument to direct is a film way too expensive to be trusted to a first-timer? (Or, heck, a zeroth-timer, since you haven't done it yet).

Yes, people get work off of scripts that they don't sell all the time. But your manager will have an easier time getting reads if he can actually sell the project.

If you don't have a quality (even short) film under your belt, you probably need to write something cheap. e.g., what Tarantino did with Resevior Dogs. He'd already sold Natural Born Killers, and wanted to direct, so he wrote something that was super cheap to make.

Comment

Your approach is very common and normal for outside Hollywood. Majority of directors in Europe, Asia and South America write films they then direct.

If you want to direct your own material and you have no prior experience directing (commercials and music videos would work; shorts mostly don't count) you have to be prepared to go the indie route, which means a lot of fundraising. It can be done and have been done successfully but it does take a lot more time and effort. You have to be as good an entrepreneur as you are writer and director.

If you try to hook up with producers, target indie ones, those who frequent Sundance, Tribecca or even Cannes… Mainstream Hollywood will not be as accepting…

Comment

Just a quick clarification. I have made a short film, though it is very short (due to budgetary restrictions) that I will be sending to shorts festivals later in the summer.

Also while I am intent on directing this particular script, I am writing other scripts for sale (I am almost done one of them). I just wanted to use this script as a calling card to draw work and interest as I finish this other script and try to sell that.

Comment

Working...
          X