Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Producer Credit

I have a writer friend who just finished writing a really good script. He's not repped (neither am I) and he hates querying, etc. Don't ask... but he just hates that part of the business.

I've managed to make some connections in the industry and mentioned that I would be more than happy to fire off a few e mails to some people I know.

Hypothetically, if this movie gets made, is it out of the question to ask for a producer credit ? I know The Butler had 41 producers and I honestly don't know what each of them did, but I'm assuming they moved the project along a little.

BTW I am not looking at this in a financial way.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by CrissCross; 03-27-2015, 07:08 PM.

Re: Producer Credit

You can always ask.

Comment

Who do you ask ? Are producer credits easily given or do you have to do something pretty significant to earn them on a feature ?

Comment

This is the sort of thing you do for friends when you believe in their projects with no expectations of anything in return.

Asking for a producer credit? I wouldn't.

Comment

Asking for a producer credit for simply referring a script is a cheap move, so don't do it.

Unless you're setting up the film with investors or prod co's, or doing some of the heavy lifting in regards to the actual production, it's just a kind act on your behalf that you are forwarding on the script to people you know.

Comment

Yeah, because you know what will help your friend sell his script? Extra "producers" already attached. People love that #sarcasmfont

Comment

If you're just passing it along then that should just be a favor. if you're taking it upon yourself to go secure funding then that's another story...but sending an email? LOL...I'm not sure exactly what I would say to my "friend" who told me that but it'd have a lot of curse words in it.
              One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                Yeah, because you know what will help your friend sell his script? Extra "producers" already attached. People love that #sarcasmfont
                As long as the producers attached don't have any experience then it will sell even faster. Actually that's how you start a bidding war. The studios love working with people who have never done a particular job before
                One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

This is essentially what managers do - often times they take producer credit simply for submitting a script. They never set foot on set, nor do they finance the film. In most cases they are then pushed to EP or AP. Not a deal breaker per se, but a burden on the project. However, if you feel you can really get this set up somewhere, you can always ask. Although do keep in mind that that decision ultimately does not belong to the writer but rather to the company that pays for the project.

Comment

Well, a manager - at least in theory - is going to claim that they were involved in the development of the project, pre-sale. So it's not quite quite the same thing, but at least they're (theoretically) bringing some additional value to the project.

Interjecting yourself as a producer on somebody else's project when you bring nothing else to the table than having sent a couple of emails is a dick move.

Pay it forward. If you know people who might be a good fit, just put them together. Then trust them to look out for you in the same way in the future.

That's what decent people do.

Comment

Good info. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X