Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
EvilRbt

Default Re: Killing the Movie Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
EXECUTIVE DECISION and SCREAM are great examples because you thought those stars were the stars...
And therein lies the beauty of the trick. With the right actor, a portion of the box-office is likely generated through this technique. Use them for one day of shooting, market the movie so it looks like they're in it, then kill 'em off in the first reel. Genius.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
winter dreams

Not exactly a big star, but the biggest star on the picture, and one you didn't expect to get wasted right away -- FEAST
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
Kevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post
The producers of one of my projects are in discussions with a movie star who will join the team as a financier/producer and take a cameo. We want him to take the role that will see him get killed in the first 10 minutes. I think it would be an awesome cameo.

With that in mind, can you think of movies in which that happened? A big star shows up briefly and gets wasted.

For instance:
Guy Pearce in THE HURT LOCKER.
Steven Seagal in EXECUTIVE DECISION.
I think it is the element of utter surprise when this happens in the script which affects an audience - when it comes it comes as a total shock, unexpected..

If killing of a star early on like that, it just happens and is not predicted then it is not only works great as a plot device but work against expectations.. Especially when it forces the protagonist to manup and get oboard, to step over the threshold - a good transitional device from ACT I and into ACT II.. Yeah..

Suppose that means making this character seem all important to the plot and then taking him or her out will mean a total change of direction...

Interesting plot device.. Never really thought of it as that but, yeah.. Cool..
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
NikeeGoddess
User

i was surprised to see both julianne moore and michael caine killed off in children of men
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
ihavebiglips

I love the device as well potentially, but you have to be careful because the audience could potentially feel ripped off if they feel the star was merely used to attract an audience to a subpar movie (which yours, of course, isn't!)

So yeah, what's the wattage of the cameo vs the rest of your targeted cast?

And I guess it depends on how you define "big star."

There's a big difference between axing Brad Pitt and axing Guy Pearce or Steven Seagal - who, funny enough, hot in 1996 probably brought more of an audience (however niche) to EXECUTIVE DECISION than Guy Pearce did to THE HURT LOCKER as evidenced by their respective box office numbers.
ihavebiglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
Sinnycal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavebiglips View Post
There's a big difference between axing Brad Pitt and axing Guy Pearce or Steven Seagal - who, funny enough, hot in 1996 probably brought more of an audience (however niche) to EXECUTIVE DECISION than Guy Pearce did to THE HURT LOCKER as evidenced by their respective box office numbers.
The Hurt Locker didn't have a marketing campaign built around Guy Pearce, though. It was more of a surprise cameo. Executive Decision was made to look like a Seagal/Russell team-up.

There is also such a thing as a Steven Seagal movie, but there really isn't such a thing as a Guy Pearce movie.
Sinnycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
thatcomedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post
And therein lies the beauty of the trick. With the right actor, a portion of the box-office is likely generated through this technique. Use them for one day of shooting, market the movie so it looks like they're in it, then kill 'em off in the first reel. Genius.
I just started a new thread about the movie "Played". It does this. There are a lot of well known actors but they are only it for a few minutes each.

Last night in San Pedro
thatcomedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Ire

Old school - Drew Barrymore in Scream
Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
TheKeenGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter dreams View Post
Not exactly a big star, but the biggest star on the picture, and one you didn't expect to get wasted right away -- FEAST
I remember on PROJECT GREENLIGHT when they were endlessly trying to get a big star for that role, and Eric Dane was the best they could do.
TheKeenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #20
Pipe

I remember being pretty pissed off when Steven Segal bought it in Executive Decision. It completely changed the movie.

If you're using the whole bait and switch as a marketing ploy to increase your box office, then shame on you.