X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Passion of the Christ *Definitive Edition*

Finally!
    http://dvd.ign.com/articles/751/751198p1.html

This movie has been really important to me both personally and professionally ever since I first saw it in theaters and finally I'll have a commentary track and a ton of special features! I can't wait to here Mel talk about this in his own words. Now if only they'd release a better version of Braveheart.

Oh and it includes the recut version which is less violent for those of you who might have thought the original was gratuitous.

Re: The Passion of the Christ *Definitive Edition*

Does it have both versions -- the original and the one for wimps?

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
    It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
    -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Yep and better yet they're branching so you just choose which you want and it'll play according to that cut.

Comment

I can understand that perspective. In a certain sense I'm of the same mind myself. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the DVD more than once since I got it and that was two years ago. Still though, I'll be buying this version even if only just for the special features.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
          I can understand that perspective. In a certain sense I'm of the same mind myself. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the DVD more than once since I got it and that was two years ago. Still though, I'll be buying this version even if only just for the special features.
          If you're Catholic and over about 40, you remember sitting at Mass as a kid, staring at these incredibly scary images over the altar and on the walls. As you got older, you got used to it and began wondering what the woman in the next pew looked like naked.

Comment

As you got older, you got used to it and began wondering what the woman in the next pew looked like naked.
            Please tell me you didn't sit with your mother.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

These threads turn weirder all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine66 View Post
                If you're Catholic and over about 40, you remember sitting at Mass as a kid, staring at these incredibly scary images over the altar and on the walls ...
                I've always figured that (and this is setting aside for now the purely anti-religion outcry over a religious film, and the debate over whether the film is "anti-Jewish" etc) a big part of the debate over the "ultra-violence" accusations was simply CULTURAL.

Across Latin America (and certainly in Puerto Rico) the Jesus up on the cross in Catholic cathedrals is the tortured, crucified Jesus: pierced, bleeding, dying ... bearing the weight of the dying Flesh and the gravitas of all the Sin in the World.

American Protestants ... they worship at an empty Cross, they don't go in and see a torture victim. They don't see the naked rib cage exposed through the spear wound every Sunday ... so PASSION was a shock to them.

Truth can be shocking.

McDonald's and Burger King should have pictures of slaughter houses on the wall when someone orders their hamburger. That, and images of a chlorestoral-clogged, "super-sized" heart.

Truth can shock and Truth can save, I suppose.
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
                  Please tell me you didn't sit with your mother.
                  Of course I sat with my mother, when I had to. But she was never "the woman in the next pew." I was Catholic, for Christ's sake!

Comment

Oh...so was it a Sister?
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      Oh...so was it a Sister?
                      So you're Catholic ......

Comment

And still some of you wonder why we say "no religious threads allowed."
                        We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
                          And still some of you wonder why we say "no religious threads allowed."
                          It's Jimny's sin.

Comment

Oh, would you even give it the undeserved honour of calling that trashtalk a "religious thread" ?

It started out being about a MOVIE.

Anything that wasn't about the MOVIE ... you could smite across the knuckles with a big ol' ruler, without blaming "religious threads" sir.
                            sigpic
                            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

I don't get it. This thread doesn't seem to be a religious thread, let alone a problem.

-- Potter Stewart

Comment

Working...
                              X