No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prisoners (Trailer)

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Ditto during the Dad's showdown with the aunt. He's in a rage when he figures it out then shows up with his tool bag and some cagey story? It was out of character for him. Heck, at that point, any parent would have ambushed her house and have her on the floor, knee on the back, gun to her head.
    I found that odd, too, considering that his character was someone who would have been better prepared than most to handle the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
      My only problems with it was toward the very end.

SPOILERS ...........

SPOILERS..................

The parents of the other girl seemed to disappear from the storyline once they decided to let the "thing" happening at the apartment house continue. In the hospital scene, their daughter in the bed, their reactions seemed out of character. It was the only time in the movie I felt a scene was mechanically serving the plot with characters manipulated to serve plot.

Ditto during the Dad's showdown with the aunt. He's in a rage when he figures it out then shows up with his tool bag and some cagey story? It was out of character for him. Heck, at that point, any parent would have ambushed her house and have her on the floor, knee on the back, gun to her head.

And since everything up to those last minutes was so organic, the "nuts and blots" used to serve plot in last couple of scenes stood out way too obvious. It was a bit of a letdown after two great hours. Still a great movie though. The non-stop darkness was very effective.
      *** SPOILERS HERE AS WELL ***

Yep, agree as well. Just finished the script moments ago and it struck me as odd that Kelly would be so "cagey" when he went back to the house after hearing the 2nd girl upon having been rescued tell him "he was there". Figured he'd go in bust'in doors down, not apologizing a second time and offering to do some work around the house. Still a great read though...

look forward to seeing film soon!

Also, just wondered while the father was in trapped in the the pit under the trans am, the script had him escape, venture into the house and find his daughter just as Loki came into the house. Only to later reveal it several pages later it was all a dream and he was still buried underneath. Shortly before the whistle/fade to black moment.

Thanks if anyone knows.
      " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

This was one of my favorite films of the year. And the spec script (when it had just sold and people were sharing it) was one of my favorite reads back then.

SPOILERS

The problem I had however with the original script (and the final movie) was the rather anti-climatic reveal. The story was a puzzle that cleverly unfolded. It was building up to a really dramatic twist/reveal that I hoped would blow my mind like Se7en did.

It turned out to be the aunt. And the reveal was done in a Perry Mason style exposition dump. To me it felt rushed. The story was suddenly over.

Although I hoped for more, it was still a terrific script.

Comment

What was the aunt's motive anyway? And was it plausible? I found that unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
            What was the aunt's motive anyway? And was it plausible? I found that unclear.

SPOILER:

To get back at God because her son died of cancer.
            Last edited by Shutout; 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shutout View Post
              To get back at God because a priest killed her husband.
              If I remember correctly, she and her husband were kidnapping and murdering children years before the husband died. And how would she know the priest killed her husband?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                If I remember correctly, she and her husband were kidnapping and murdering children years before the husband died. And how would she know the priest killed her husband?
                You are correct, my bad. They lost their son to cancer. So they blamed God. I believe she mentions it in the film.

Comment

I liked the film but it kinda lost me with the guy who ended up having a bunch of snakes in his apartment? I don't get who he was or what his relation was to the story at all...thinking back on the movie -- if all of his scenes were cut completely out, Jake Gyllenhal's character still ends up exactly where he did at the end of the movie. The clues that got Jake's character to the final showdown had nothing to do with the weirdo guy that had the snakes in his apartment.
                  One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                    I liked the film but it kinda lost me with the guy who ended up having a bunch of snakes in his apartment? I don't get who he was or what his relation was to the story at all...thinking back on the movie -- if all of his scenes were cut completely out, Jake Gyllenhal's character still ends up exactly where he did at the end of the movie. The clues that got Jake's character to the final showdown had nothing to do with the weirdo guy that had the snakes in his apartment.
                    He was a red herring.

Comment

Way late on seeing this one. I VOD'd it because I was totally blown away by Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler, and knew that Prisoners got all kinds of accolades and heat even as a spec script years ago. Plus, it was shot by Roger Deakins, who is the best in the business.

Unfortunately, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen, and certainly the worst one I've forced myself to sit all the way through. It is a hackneyed C movie elevated by A-list casting.

An unnecessarily complicated crime, solved by an unnecessarily complicated investigation, undermined by an unnecessarily complicated red herring.

Not a single plot point or character decision resembling anything within 100 yards of something an actual human being would do.

I know that the script was a little bit different than the finished film and I am happy that the writer broke through with it, but c'mon. I kept hearing how dark it was. Not a single character dies? The 'darkest' thing that happens is Paul Dano has to take a hot shower?

Then Maria Bello's character disappears into a bottle of Xanax for half the movie, because that was easier than writing her a subplot, I suppose.

I've seen plenty of garbage movies in my day, including many that I love. But they're not 82% on Rotten Tomatoes and I feel like the whole world has lost it's mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X