This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Passion of the Christ *Definitive Edition*

On TV as I wrote, CNN was saying they've found one of the bodies of the lost Mt. Hood mountain climbers.

We should, while debating our issues here, remember the world is full of REAL drama and REAL sorrows and nobility ... just down the street.

In our aspirations and our movies ... let's dedicate ourselves to healing, not hurting.
    sigpic
    "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
    that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
    -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Tabs...I salute you. And agree wholeheartedly by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY View Post
        Come on now, Jimny. You know pollution and fetish don't swing together.
        Then why was Swingers set in Vegas and California? Huh DMNY? HUH?!?!

Comment

So, Tabby.. "honour?"

Comment

Are you trying to turn this into a Battle without Honour and Humility?

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
              Tab, are you actually from a country that spells "honor" this way, or are you just pretentious?

I've always wondered...
              So, Tabby.. "honour?"
              Oh, fer cryin' out loud.

I dunno, do you stop and demand to know that from everyone every time you see it spelled "dialogue" versus "dialog" ???

It's how I was taught to spell: honour, colour, dialogue. It's how I spell.

To continue the fascinatin' insights: I don't spell theater "theatre" (well, actually, I do sometimes, and change it because it freaks my homies out)

I do not now, nor have I ever, spelled defense "defence"

I can spell it "honor" and that looks strange, but I could spell it "color" and that's okay (so I try to stay consistant and use the "ou" versions) All my grade school teacher asked was that I remain consistent.

Shall I continue my self-denounciations (and did I just mis-spell that?)

I think "tonite" looks swanky and showbiz. I use it without pretense whenever I can. Thru, tho, smacks me in my rot, gobsmacks me it does.

I can't imagine why you'd even suggest that spelling it "honour" is "pretentious" ... it's how it's spelled.

I used to speak with what everyone assumed was a "British" accent. I got better.

I'm not a reincarnated Brit (no matter what the damn Kaiser's bullet I was born with in my skull suggests!) ...

Words with "u" are prettier than words without.

I would have you be consumed by wondering no more.
              sigpic
              "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
              that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
              -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
                In our aspirations and our movies ... let's dedicate ourselves to healing, not hurting.
                Huh? On one hand you espouse "healing" and not hurting, and on the other, you support the work of a hateful anti-semitic. Well, I happen to know that Gibson's remarks deeply hurt many Jews and non-Jews alike, and now apparently he's moved on to the Mayans. Wonder who will be next!

Saturday Night Live got it right -- Apocalypto Recut:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KP2Fp7vJD4E

Comment

I don't call you 'old-fashioned' ...

I suggest you're willfully ignorant, since you're making comments about a movie you haven't even seen, and then to support your personal ignorance about the film you're using the comments of 'Mayan activists' who are making ridiculous accusations (which you'd recognize are ridiculous had you seen the Director's work yourself)

Mayans practiced human sacrifice, one of the leading theories on the demise of Mayan civilization (the Classic period temple-complex cities etc) is that neighboring cities and ruling royal families warred with each other until their social institutions broke down. Mayan life, as depicted in APOCALYPTO, was brutal.

Brutal doesn't mean 'racist' though.

Not when Gibson bases his whole movie on making us feel the humanity, the family love, and the human suffering and compassion of MAYAN people. (Which you'd understand if you'd seen the movie; which you will or won't argue against, ignorantly, since you haven't seen the movie )

You made the statement that

APOCALYPTO has nothing anti-semitic in it (though you wouldn't know that, since you refuse to see his non-racist movies because you've decided blindly they must be racist) ...

So if you found an "expert" who claimed that the antagonist Mayans are " racist cyphers for Jews" you might quote that here ... with equal certainty (and error)!

If EVERYONE in the movie is MAYAN (both the Good and the Bad) then how can it be "racist" ??? It's a race-neutral drama of HUMAN DRAMA; it's RACE-neutral.

Does APOCALYPTO have purely "historical" issues (mixing the Classic Period Maya culture of 900 AD with the Maya of 16th Century AD) ???

Sure ... Hollywood movies OFTEN take shortcuts about historical accuracy (for instance, having someone named Columbus "discover" America )

The Mayan "experts" you quote accusing Gibson of "racism" because the Mayans had bones through their noses ... don't mention that Mayans also wore porcupine quills thru their genitals. Please.

I know guys with piercings thru their junk. If I put that in a movie ... would I be guilty of 'racism' for showing that? Your "experts" seem to imply (if I extrapolate) I would be.

When I suggest you are "ignorant" please accept that I mean it only on this thread and this topic.

You shouldn't render "judgement" on a movie you admit you haven't seen, especially when you haven't seen it because of your admitted bias and assumptions against Mel Gibson.

I admire your stand against racism. But get your facts right.

Attacking a man or his art (and, if I read your comment below, everyone here who recognizes his art, without us having to cast unseen-movie, ignorant assumptions of racism) with distorted 'facts' makes you part of the problem, not part of any solution.

The volumes it speaks (or your opinion) shouldn't be ADDING to error and prejudice-born-of-ignorance.
                  I forgive your ignorance, sugarti**, er, Tab. I know it's just the alcohol talking.

Comment

Why are people who live in big cities generally more angry and high strung? SW, you need to get out into the country and unwind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny Wayne View Post
                      Why are people who live in big cities generally more angry and high strung? SW, you need to get out into the country and unwind.
                      Because I don't support racism and the work of anti-semitic a-holes you label me as "angry"?

More skewed logic and hypocrisy from yet another Bible thumper.

Comment

Come on out to the 'Rado. We'll go skiing and you can expound on your racism theories while racing this bible thumping ******* down the mountain.

Comment

Come on out to the 'Rado. We'll go skiing and you can expound on your racism theories while racing this bible thumping ******* down the mountain.
                          Naw, I don't look good in white sheets, JW.

Comment

I can't imagine why you'd even suggest that spelling it "honour" is "pretentious" ... it's how it's spelled.
                            I wasn't suggesting that spelling it "honour" was pretentious, I was suggesting that you are.

Give my regards to Apple.

Comment

Then why was Swingers set in Vegas and California? Huh DMNY? HUH?!?!
                              Oh sure, make a sequel set in both Yukon and Alaska. See what happens!
                              A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                              Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                              Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Mikey, it's been five years. You got to get over her. Now c'mon we're going to go to Anchorage and party with some beautiful babies. I'm not taking no for an answer. You're grownz up and you're grownz up and you're grownz up! What, I'm the ******* right? I would never eat here. C'mon Mikey. we've got a plane to catch. Anchorage baby, Anchorage!

You know DMNY....maybe you're right.

Comment

Working...
                                X