Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Choice For Best Black and White Movie Ever Made

Night of the Hunter, It's a Wonderful Life or Night of the Living Dead...depending on my mood.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
      Yes, I believe you do think that.
      two edits to get this the way you wanted? it's just a messageboard, no need to do two rewrites on one line. lol.
      "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey View Post
        I rented Metropolis the other week and was bored to tears within minutes. I was never big on silents anyway, although I do like Chaplin and the other comics of his time. But watching a silent picture drama was just too much to handle.
        Last I knew there wasn't a full surviving print of the film so what you saw was a partial print so the story can be hard to follow. Then again, it's definitely not paced for today's audiences even if it was a phenomenal achievement for its era. Lang got easier to digest with the talky storytelling thing with M, Scarlet Street, etc.
        http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

two edits to get this the way you wanted? it's just a messageboard, no need to do two rewrites on one line. lol.
          Four hours, and the best you can come up with is "ha ha, you edited your post!"?

Wow.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
          -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
            Four hours, and the best you can come up with is "ha ha, you edited your post!"?

Wow.
            it's funny to me that you edited it twice to change the wording, like you went to do something else and it just weighed on your brain so much you had to run back to change it. lol.
            "everything a writer learns about the art and craft of fiction takes just a little away from his need or desire to write at all. in the end he knows all the tricks and has nothing to say."

Comment

I'd have to go with Third Man. The whole film, the setting, the time, the plot, it all has to be black, white, grey. Colour would just be wrong.

Loved Pleasantville, though started out and ended as colour.

Matter Of Life And Death used B+W for heaven and colour for mortal life so again doesn't really belong here.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                My choices:

(Not in order)

Raging Bull
                Casablanca
                African Queen
                Treasure of the Sierra Madre
                Sin City
                Schindler's List
                African Queen -- definitely the best film of the B&W era in Glorious Technicolor.
                The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
                  African Queen -- definitely the best film of the B&W era in Glorious Technicolor.
                  Famously the first Hollywood feature filmed "in Africa!" instead of Pasadena or jungle safari sets, but doesn't much of the scenery look like it could just as easily have been on a backlot?

Comment

All these lists of black and white movies are all very good, but I want to know what are the best Hispanic, Asian and Bollywood movies ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Pull Back Reveal View Post
                      All these lists of black and white movies are all very good, but I want to know what are the best Hispanic, Asian and Bollywood movies ever made.
                      So, wait ... if they're not B&W ... you just implied that 'Hispanic, Asian, and Bollywood movies' are COLOURED movies ???

Not cool, dude, just not cool.
                      sigpic
                      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned La Strada or The Bicycle Thief?

Zorba the Greek?

How about White Heat?

Comment

Working...
                        X