Heard while in line at a bookstore last night:

Clerk to little girl buying Ratatouille book: "Have you seen the movie?"

Little Girl: "No, my mommy doesn't like rats"

Clerk: "Well, I can understand that!"

From the mouths of babes...

Comment

Re: Ratatouille

Originally posted by Deadline Hollywood Daily
      Meanwhile, Disney says Ratatouille's Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday opening week grosses proved to be the biggest ever for a Pixar film: Monday $7.5M beating Finding Nemo which was $6.9M, Tuesday $7.8M beating Finding Nemo which was $7.1M, and Wednesday $10.2M beating Toy Story 2 which was $9.5M. A lot has been made by myself and other reporters about the difficulty of Disney / Pixar merchandising a kitchen rat. But I'm told the Soda Fountain Studio Store next door to Hollywood's El Capitan Theater has been non stop packed with Ratatouille shoppers. (See photos). I'm told that the store cannot keep in stock plush toy rats and radio controlled rats. Also big sellers are chef hats and kids cookbooks. Other Ratatouille items for sale at either Disney Stores, mass retailers and specialty retailers include: Ratatouille Chardonnay (Costco), Ratatouille cheese (Costco), Ratatouille back-to-school items, Ratatouille kids cookware toys, Ratatouille kids home decor and cooking classes (Sur La Table).

Comment

I apologize if this has been asked already, but where the hell do you live (Roscoe) that three people get in the theater on Friday night for $24?

Comment

Other Ratatouille items for sale at either Disney Stores, mass retailers and specialty retailers include: Ratatouille Chardonnay (Costco)...
          I'd think that rats would go better with a Cabernet...
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I apologize if this has been asked already, but where the hell do you live (Roscoe) that three people get in the theater on Friday night for $24?
            Hey, it's even better if you catch a matinee, then it's $18.00 . And it's actually a pretty decent theater.

Anyway, I live about 25 miles outside of Columbus, OH.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              I'd think that rats would go better with a Cabernet...
              I think of them more like dark-meat chicken. So maybe a Zin.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
                My theory about concepts coupled with the stellar reviews that this film is receiving leads me to believe that it will be a big hit even by Pixar standards. I predict that it will easily outgross Cars and maybe even The Incredibles. I expect worldwide B.O. in the range of $500-800 million. Anyone want to make a gentleman's bet?
                Looks like I was kinda sorta right. The global BO is sitting at about $515 million right now. It's doing better than Cars by a significant margin, but it will fall well short of The Incredibles.

Pixar clearly has a great formula for success. Makes you wonder why other companies have so much trouble pumping out consistent winners.

Comment

It's actually behind Cars, in 5th place on the Pixar list where it counts - domestic BO.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi.../?id=pixar.htm

International is always theoretically going up, as more countries open up their borders, more foreign prints are floating around, and more theaters are opening daily, so it's virtually meaningless when comparing numbers to older movies.

If you don't believe me, check out the putrid Spider-man 3.

Comment

I'm a BIG fan of Pixar and put my faith and trust in them over any other brand, but Ratatouille didn't do it for me story-wise.

What was a thundering and entertaining opening act, soon seemed to lose it's grip on my interests (and wifes) and not before long we were both wishing it was over.

Going into the third act, it seemed there were three moments that you'd class as THE LOWEST POINT, which made for an emotionally confussing ride.

I will say, the animation CGI was excellent. Those shots of Paris and the texture of the animals was amazing.

On a side note, I find it hard to believe children of any age would take interest in someone, let alone a rat, cooking in a kitchen. In France.

EJ

Comment

Pixar films are a guilty pleasure for me. They certainly have a great formula and track record. However, it will be impossible for them to continue forever without becoming more and more derivative (though it hasn't happened yet).

The Toy Story films are the best, to me, along with Monsters, Inc., because they tie into childrens' imaginations, which is exactly what films like this should do (if only someone at some point could have gotten to rights to Calvin & Hobbs away from Watterson, that might have been the best thing ever).

I loved both The Incredibles and Cars way more than I ever expected to, I think because they existed in their own little worlds.

Ratatouille is the first one that didn't do it for me. It might sound weird to hear that I couldn't suspend disbelief watching a film about a talking, cooking rat, but I couldn't. It had to do with the interaction between rats and humans. I just couldn't buy into it. There needs to be a clear line between the human world and animals (or objects) for me.

Hopefully Wall - E will return to that.

Comment

I was very underwhelmed. To echo others' sentiments, the film just didn't grab me from a story POV. I hate to admit it on account of my love of Pixar and Brad Bird, but I ended up fast-forwarding through a few sections.

Needed to be cut by a good ten-fifteen minutes.

Visually amazing, to be sure, but the short LIFTED provided more amusement in five minutes than almost two from RATATOUILLE....

Comment

Working...
                        X