• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Mamet

Originally posted by twk69045 View Post
    Why exactly are you quoting me?
    You asked.

If the discourse is lame, set it straight, send it up, or ignore it. If it's abusive and doesn't belong in DD's forums, I trust the Mods to lock and delete, as they see fit.

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
    ...I suspect it's the kind of lame discourse that drives away writers who actually do make a big contribution to this board.
    Originally posted by twk69045 View Post
    Does anyone here disagree with 77?
    I disagree, and find his attitude condescending.

Originally posted by Scripted77 View Post
    Not that this matters to anyone....
    I wonder what Mamet would say, in reply to this thread, tho I suspect that his response might not get past the censoring software. Or, maybe....

"You see this watch? You see this watch?"
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Is David Mamet the worst writer ever?? - Redbelt

wait, we're not supposed to express our dislike of a particular screenwriter anymore?

This entire thread is confusing to me.

Lame discourse? Is there a such thing as lame discourse?

"Until the Lion writes his own story, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter." -African Proverb

Comment

Q: Is David Mamet the worst writer ever?

A: Obvoiusly, no. Mamet is a prolific writer who has worked steadily for more than thirty years. He has been honored repeatedly as both a playwright and screenwriter. Definitely not one to "play it safe," Mamet is undaunted by his failures and unafraid to explore a variety of styles, subjects and themes. He also directs. There is something in his vast body of work for virtually everyone to appreciate, if they are just open-minded enough to look.

I am rather enjoying recent showings of HEIST on HBO; a nifty little caper flick with Gene Hackman, not talky at all. (I just cut a DVD of it for my collection.) I expect I will be seeing REDBELT shortly; maybe I'll like it, maybe not, but I'm always willing to take a look.
        "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Re: David Mamet

Originally posted by Fortean View Post

In this particular case, I'm going to be honest and not disagree with you at all.

Comment

While I disagree with the OP, I have no problem with the question asked. Obviously, it's a hyperbole. Not a big deal. It has opened up a discussion on Mamet, so it did what a forum post is supposed to. What's the problem again?

Comment

Mamet's problem isn't a lack of talent. Far from it.

But he does, I think, suffer an acute case of head-up-his-own-ass syndrome.

His book, "Bambi vs. Godzilla," should have rightly been titled, "I'm a Goddamn Genius and I'll Prove It."

Comment

Re: David Mamet

You want to venture a ballpark figure of Mamet scripts he read before he called Mamet out? He did the same thing with Rogen, going as far as implying Rogen was unqualified and stealing work from unproduced writers, after only seeing an interview of his. Now fortean, we all know you're the most condescending one here. You can quote away. You can sing and dance. You can even spend half an hour figuring the most eloquent way turn a sentence. Sanctimony, meet kettle.

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                You asked.

If the discourse is lame, set it straight, send it up, or ignore it. If it's abusive and doesn't belong in DD's forums, I trust the Mods to lock and delete, as they see fit.

I wonder what Mamet would say, in reply to this thread, tho I suspect that his response might not get past the censoring software. Or, maybe....
                The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

To discuss and criticize a multiple Tony and Oscar-nominated writer is fine. Go nuts.

But the immature over-the-top hyperbole can go elsewhere. Please take stuff like "Worst writer ever??" to Aint it Cool News talkback with the other "I have a degree in folklore and mythology" Comic Book Guys...

Comment

Working...
                  X