No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let the Right One In

Originally posted by Arroway View Post
    the "crying game" scene was stupid and had no explanation inside the frame of the movie. a film, even one adapted from a book, should be it's own thing, it should be self contained. that scene felt completely extraneous, like an orphaned plot point after a big edit.
    I disagree. Could the movie have worked without it? Yeah, but it also adds another layer to the character, and I think it just makes the movie stronger.

Comment

I agree with harold. You have a preadolescent boy who has the opportunity to spy on the girl changing, and the payoff of a revelation. It's in character on both sides.

Comment

I really love the fact that the movie gives some of those details, BUT leaves them unanswered.

It's not needed in order to fulfill the main storyline. Which is Oscar's battle with his bullies.

All we need to know is that Eli is a vampire.

Everything else provides what some refer to as 'distant mountains'.

I'm a sucker for leaving some of those issues unanswered because it just adds to the experience. It keeps me wondering long after the conclusion of the film.

But not in an annoying manner. The film provides a catharsis. It answers the main dramatic question.

It just left me with some things to ponder in the end. It keeps the story going so-to-speak, and I love that.

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
          It just left me with some things to ponder in the end. It keeps the story going so-to-speak, and I love that.
          Exactly.

Also what Jake said.

And I'm a sucker, too, but it usually involves loose women with drug problems who have boyfriends named Guido.

Comment

You have a preadolescent boy who has the opportunity to spy on the girl changing, and the payoff of a revelation.
            the "payoff" being what, exactly? it changed nothing. the whole scene could have been removed without any detrimental effect to anything, character, story, or otherwise. what dramatic purpose did it serve? what is the point?

besides, doesn't castration mean the removal of one's balls? not balls AND pecker. it doesn't even make SURGICAL sense!

Comment

Are you lookin' for trouble? You're lookin' for trouble, ain'tcha? AIN'TCHA?!
              "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

(gravely voice) trouble you say? "trouble" is just another word till i show up.

Comment

Caught this last night.

***SPOILERS***

Didn't have the impact that it may have had on others - purely because I already knew she was a Vampire. However, I still enjoyed it. The stark and bleak Swedish setting. The minimal lighting and architecture. The great use of Vampire mythology - and the relationship between Oskar and Eli - was at times beautiful and tender.

Loved the pool scene at the end, and her "Renfield" type character, post acid burn, really took the crown as the most grotesque make-up I've seen in years (apart from the Ghoul at the end of [REC]). All in all, a well crafted horror film. Never read the novel, but I'm sure it was faithful. I also loved that scene where her eyes adjust to the light.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I love everything about this movie.
                    "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Let The Wrong Subtitles In To LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?!

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html

Comment

Saw it last night.

It was good. Not great.

It seemed a bit disjointed at times, and the numerous plot strands that are barely connected is a dead giveaway that it was based on a novel. The vampiric woman, for example, while intriguing, had nothing to do with Eli and Oskar. It seemed like part of a different movie, almost. And other parts were just predictable, such as the pool scene at the end.

Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                          Saw it last night.

It was good. Not great.

It seemed a bit disjointed at times, and the numerous plot strands that are barely connected is a dead giveaway that it was based on a novel. The vampiric woman, for example, while intriguing, had nothing to do with Eli and Oskar. It seemed like part of a different movie, almost. And other parts were just predictable, such as the pool scene at the end.

Oh well.
                          I was waiting for you. It's weird, you and I have opposite tastes big-time. I've read several of your film interests and dislikes and it seems I disagree on every one. I just thought it was interesting I've never found a polar opposite in film reviews. Until now.

You are now my movie nemesis

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                            I was waiting for you. It's weird, you and I have opposite tastes big-time. I've read several of your film interests and dislikes and it seems I disagree on every one. I just thought it was interesting I've never found a polar opposite in film reviews. Until now.

You are now my movie nemesis

What are some of your favorites?

Comment

Working...
                            X