AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AVATAR--I have the sneaking suspicion....

If the biggest movie of all time has such a simple story, why do we, as screenwriters, even bother? We might as well just pitch stunning concepts to A-listers and let them take it from there!
    not every flick needs to be like this. how ridiculous! if all flicks were like this then there would be nothing special about it and therefore render it's success useless... or just groundbreaking which happens every once in a decade. ie - today most regular movie goers would walk out on citizen kane b/c they wouldn't know what made it special or groundbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
      Avatar was no1. for the 4th weekend in a row, it pulled in near on $150 million this weekend overseas, and near 49 million domestic, which, if you follow these sort of things, is just a epic.

It's now upwards of $1.34 billion world wide and thundering towards Titanic.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Pretty sure you are looking at the no.1 film of all time in the making now.
      This is insane. Less than a 30% drop in its fourth weekend. $20 million higher than the next highest fourth weekend gross. I'm starting to think Jim Cameron made a deal with the Prince of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mat View Post
        If the biggest movie of all time has such a simple story, why do we, as screenwriters, even bother?
        Just want to butt in to point out that if you adjust for dollar values, GONE WITH THE WIND is the biggest movie of all time.

Not exactly a simple story.
        ==========

Comment

haskil adkins, you have the best name and picture combination in the history of done deal and you have been sorely missed. and i have a question what percentage does the movie theatre garner from a ten dollar movie? the profits have to be diced up.

v-ugly
          You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

I'm sure it depends on the contract the distributor has with the movie chain, and it varies from opening weekend through the run, but I think it averages out to a 50-50 split.

Movie theaters make their big profits from popcorn and soda.
            ==========

Comment

If the biggest movie of all time has such a simple story, why do we, as screenwriters, even bother? We might as well just pitch stunning concepts to A-listers and let them take it from there!
              For the record, I just threw that one in there for the Hell of it - hence the 'wink'.

But as a colleague of mine said:

"The best movies of all time aren't made, they're designed."

Including 'Gone with the Wind' (great comment BTW, Hasil).

Cheers,

Mat.
              I'm a product of everything I've ever experienced ... I need to get out more!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mat View Post
                I loved Avatar - thought it was great ...

... but overly long for such a simple story, which (and I'm sure this has been said previously) was basically 'Dances with Wolves in space'.
                Uh... The theatrical cut of Dances with Wolves was three hours long. Director's Cut was almost four. Avatar was only two hours and forty minutes. How exactly does that make Avatar overly long?

For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
                Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

Some jerkhole at another forum pointed out that the inflation adjusted list and said something like "NICE TRY CAMERON you are no. 387 behind Mrs. Doubtfire. Good try at a "blockbuster"

This made me livid. So stupid. He was talking domestic boxoffice first of all. Of course this will end up at Numero Uno eventually.
                  But domestic. What other arguments are there besides

1. Long run time for Avatar vs. other movies means less showings in a day a week a month.
                  2. Avatar is just getting started in many countries and many theatres still sold out.
                  3. Internets cable tv and video games are split our viewing habits versus 20 years ago or 50 years ago. (I dont know if this is a legit arguement because each year doesn't boxoffice get bigger?
                  4. ???

I guess these are arguements against the inflation adjusted index. If there are any others please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by freshlove View Post
                    Some jerkhole at another forum pointed out that the inflation adjusted list and said something like "NICE TRY CAMERON you are no. 387 behind Mrs. Doubtfire. Good try at a "blockbuster"

This made me livid. So stupid.
                    Dude, relax. It looks like it's going to be number 1 or 2 of all time anyway.

As far as jerkholes...it's just a movie. It's not a religious experience, and it doesn't slice bread. Relax.

HH

Comment

Popular much?:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/20...nt_9298129.htm

Comment

personally, i cant wait till all action films are in 3D.

do spider-man, just please get rid of tobey maguire and kristen dunst. i dont want to see either of them up close.

thank you

Comment

Nominated by the Writer's Guild for best original screenplay. Go Jim!

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
                            Nominated by the Writer's Guild for best original screenplay. Go Jim!
                            See, that's surprising. As much as I loved this movie and defend it against the story-lacking complaints, this script was not original.

If anything it was practically an adaptation of a few other scripts.
                            Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                            Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

i love being perpetually right:
                              Why not rip off The Last of the Mohicans and have some bad Na’vi thrown into the mix? That would at the very least be more interesting, and certainly more honest. A film wherein the natives are not only exploited but turned against one another – whose weaknesses are exploited as well – would be more complex and realistic. Or Cameron could have taken some pages from the The Mission - a film which took seriously the questions of colonization, religious colonization and the indigenous response, and the merits of passive resistance.

This is the problem with treating the Na’vi as noble savages. They are unbelievable. They are too easy too sympathize with – childlike, fragile – and this exposes them to the white-man-as-savior theme all too easily. In The Mission the white man could not save the GuaranĂ­ from the Portuguese; the Church could not save them from the secular powers; God could not save them from death. The white “saviors” as Jesuit priests ultimately failed, both in their attempt to erect a mission and in their attempts – both diplomatic and eventually militarily – to stop the slavers and their political allies from eventually tearing the mission down. We are left with haunting questions about our own humanity at the end of that film – but also at the beginning as we watch the Jesuit priest, nailed to a cross, sent out over the falls into the endless spray.
                              http://www.ordinary-gentlemen.com/20...-of-the-other/

cameron was patronizing and condescending towards indigenous people, just like i said weeks ago.

thank you, random blog post.

Comment

Um, quoting a random blogger that agrees with you doesn't make you right, it makes you a douchebag.
                                "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Working...
                                X