Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite film of 2009.

The year is just about over, so what is your singular choice for favorite film of 2009?

This is obvious, but I'm going with Up. It's written and structured so insanely well, I am still amazed. The character's journey has difficulty, both physically and emotionally, it's unique and original, funny and exciting, sad and heartwarming...all at the same time. It's directed better than every live-action film of the year, the editing is flawless...I can go on forever about how every aspiring writer needs to watch and study Pixar films more than anything else. You can even learn what not to do from the shortcomings of Cars and Ratatouille. It's like a free masterclass on screenwriting every time you watch a Pixar film, and Up is no exception. Without a doubt the greatest film of the year, as well as my favorite.

Re: Your favorite film of 2009.

Inglorious Basterds

Comment

An Education
      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

One title? You're killing me here, Bio.

A Prophet

Comment

It might be the post-viewing excitement speaking, but I'd say Avatar. Followed by District 9 and Star Trek - all Sci-Fi...very strange pics for me. I don't usually enjoy that genre.
          Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
          Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I'm way behind on my movie watching this year. WAY behind. Thus far, my only contenders are Inglourious Basterds and Sin Nombre.

I'll probably watch Up next week.

Comment

Probably AVATAR, but I saw it so recently that it's hard to say for sure; this was a great year for movies.

Also loved: DISTRICT 9, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, TAKEN, STAR TREK, UP, and THE HANGOVER

2009 was an incredible year for sci-fi, as it 2008 was for comedy.
              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

District 9 for sure.

Comment

Up in the Air, followed by avatar and district 9

Comment

I'm surprised that Avatar is on so many of your lists. Sure, it looks amazing, but story wise it's plain plagiarism. Perhaps Cameron's ego will lead to him losing another court case...

Comment

Either The Hurt Locker or Moon. Both were incredible for such very different reasons, that I honestly cannot pick.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Avatar is definitely my second favorite. There were a few minor things about it that I would have liked if they were done differently, but as it is, I loved it. I'll have to see it again, though. Can't give it a #1 spot for only one viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                          I'm surprised that Avatar is on so many of your lists. Sure, it looks amazing, but story wise it's plain plagiarism. Perhaps Cameron's ego will lead to him losing another court case...
                          So are you now the guy who just goes from thread to thread looking for opportunities to entice us with subtle nuggets about Cameron's past plagiarism?

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                            So are you now the guy who just goes from thread to thread looking for opportunities to entice us with subtle nuggets about Cameron's past plagiarism?
                            Not intentionally. The opportunity just presented itself. All in all I like Cameron. Aliens and T2 are in my top 20 films of all time. But they are far superior to Avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                              Not intentionally. The opportunity just presented itself. All in all I like Cameron. Aliens and T2 are in my top 20 films of all time. But they are far superior to Avatar.
                              Aliens, in some instances, is superior. But definitely not T2. I love T2, but it lacks the villainous threat that the original had in spades. John Conner has his own T-800 to protect him from the T-1000, who disappears for a good half hour in the middle. Everything from the Cyberdine sequence to the ending is priceless filmmaking, though. It just lacks the oomph that elevates the original to masterpiece status.

I'm not saying Avatar is better than T2, but T2 is not superior overall. It has it faults just like Avatar, and both films are fantastic enough that any comparison is pretty much impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X