No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nightmare on Elm Street

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
    I miss Moriarty's voice at AICN. Harry has always been a lunatic, I don't trust Knowles' taste as far as I could throw him. But I can't stand HitFix as a site so I rarely go there, and I also think Drew's voice has changed since he packed up and moved.
    Hitfix aint my fave neither. Personally I still prefer Dark Horizons. Less juvinele than Aintitcool, not so flashy as Hitfix and he (Garth) doesn't try to crawl in Hollywood's a-hole all the time.
    Been visiting his site sinds the first moment I got on the net (in 1998).

Comment

no way i'm going to watch this crap other than when it hits regular television....if that.
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I think one of the writers, Eric Heisserer, used to be on Zoetrope. Think he had a spec that landed him a bunch of meetings, including with prodco PLANTINUM DUNES that have been rebooting a lot of these horror flicks.

Cool to see him land the ELM STREET gig. Always is when see a writer on the forums make it through the development marathon. It's like, "Hey, I remember him."

Comment

just added the original nightmare on my blockbuster queue. it's a "short wait" though. seems like the remake's release has stirred up interest in the original =/

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
            I think one of the writers, Eric Heisserer, used to be on Zoetrope. Think he had a spec that landed him a bunch of meetings, including with prodco PLANTINUM DUNES that have been rebooting a lot of these horror flicks.

Cool to see him land the ELM STREET gig. Always is when see a writer on the forums make it through the development marathon. It's like, "Hey, I remember him."
            And LaTullipe apparently did a last minute rewrite on it.

Comment

well the rating's improved from 0 percent to 13 percent on RT. horror movies are always gonna be a tough call for critics since theyve seen it all, they're too old to enjoy it, and watching a remake is like having to watch not just another horror movie but the same horror movie again. the second trailer looks pretty awesome but the ratings suggest a subpar scholcker on the level of grace and the grudge 2 so im a bit torn leaning towards not watching it.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/n...reonelmstreet/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nigh...contentReviews

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post

Mypdfscripts did an interview with Heisserer a few weeks back.
                Came across as a real sympathetic guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                  And LaTullipe apparently did a last minute rewrite on it.
                  That's awesome! Go Geoff! It's good to know that writers can land gigs working on stuff outside the genre of their breakthrough work. I was always under the impression that writers run the risk of being pigeon-holed.

Originally posted by tinman01 View Post
                  Mypdfscripts did an interview with Heisserer a few weeks back.
                  Came across as a real sympathetic guy.
                  Good stuff. Reading now. Looks like I have another cool place to browse through for things.

Comment

Meh.

------------------------------ SPOILERS -------------------------------

Focused too much on the secondary characters at the beginning, which was a problem because it was excruciatingly obvious that they were all Freddy Fodder. I actually wanted to see them die quicker instead of spending a half hour with the plastic Barbie chick that couldn't act to save her own life and the annoying kid that went to jail because someone did in the first movie.

However, in this one, that kid going to jail means nothing and his demise means nothing. Not to me or the actual heroes of the story, the curly haired dude with the dirty sanchez and the winner of the Emily Blunt look-alike contest. They never saw it happen, never grieved over it, never even seemed to give two shits. In the original, the kids went to the jail, watched it happen, and Nancy's father was a cop. They were much more involved and therefore, the death meant something. Here, it's a time killer.

When we do get the actual heroes, it's so far into the movie, it almost feels like a different movie. The only constant was Freddy, who seemed much less threatening in this movie than in the original. The micro-naps part was not necessary and added nothing to the movie. It was just an excuse to get Freddy into the film more. But when you show him for no reason other than to sit around and taunt the kids, perhaps slash at them once or twice, the fear goes away. The more I see, the less I fear. Bringing Freddy into the picture when the kids are still awake completely defies the concept of the movie.

There were several inexcusable moments of what can only be described as "****ing shitty writing". The dude falling asleep in the pool and then witnessing what happened to Freddy years ago for absolutely no good reason was one of the worst. It was insultingly terrible and nothing more than a plot convenience. The girl sets the alarm on her phone to wake herself up in the bath, but never thinks of using it later on when she asks the dude to wake her when trying to bring Freddy into the real world. Why? This is life and death and you didn't think of a contingency plan when there was one that you already used sitting in your ****ing pocket? Another plot convenience. Then there's the kid with the adrenaline, which does absolutely nothing to him - a plain-as-day plant for a later pay-off.

There were some things about it that I liked, but were mostly too brief or underdeveloped. The other kids in the school picture, the hospital sedation, etc. Just not enough to bring this turd out of the sewer where it belongs.

It's better than the new Halloweens and Friday the 13th, but it's kind of hard to screw up with such a brilliant concept. Didn't stop Hollywood from trying.

Comment

I remember when they were looking for a writer a couple of years ago, I had put together a pitch and was going to try to get the gig with a buddy of mine whom I'd collaborated with two years prior and whose agent could have at least gotten us in the room. Unfortunately, I pussied out, and my friend wasn't interested enough to push for it.

Oh well. C'est la vie.

Comment

estimated 35 mil opening wkend for nightmare. goes to show that people will see movies if there's name brand recognition and a cool trailer. doesn't matter if the movie sucked like many people are saying. this formula sells tickets. if the sequel's quality doesn't improve though, should suffer the same fate as the halloween reboot until five years later they do another reboot.

Comment

The formula/brand name sells tickets this weekend, but wait til word of mouth kicks in (like Friday the 13th) and we'll see how many tickets it sells next week. Friday the 13th's sequel is stalled indefinitely, and considering the huge opening weekend it had, nothing's a certainty these days.

Comment

I fell asleep half way through but unlike the lucky characters in the film, I wasn't put out of my misery.

Comment

Actually, it was pretty good. Haley did a great job and I loved the rawer, more reality based(as much as possible) take that Bayer took to the film. It was actually fairly dark, disturbing and, at times, kindof scary. And I have seen TONS of horror films, my chosen genre as well in writing. I think this was truly made for the fans--and no, I don't work for Platinum Dunes. I thought F13 was awful--TCM was decent.

I actually think word of mouth will be OK among horror fans. I know quite a few people who liked NOES as well.

Comment

If I want Rorschach, I'll watch Watchmen.

But being serious, I would have never paid to see this anyway -- even if it was getting glorious reviews. I'll wait for the R5 or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X