No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nightmare on Elm Street

Originally posted by Banjaxed View Post
    The formula/brand name sells tickets this weekend, but wait til word of mouth kicks in (like Friday the 13th) and we'll see how many tickets it sells next week. Friday the 13th's sequel is stalled indefinitely, and considering the huge opening weekend it had, nothing's a certainty these days.
    Friday the 13th opened on Friday the 13th. Every theater in a 50 mile radius of my house was sold out pretty much all day. People went for the gimmick, not the film.

Comment

I didn't hate this, and, in places, thought it was pretty good. I would've liked the parents in the flick to not be so stupid, but it's a given for this genre. Overall, it was okay.

HH

Comment

A Nightmare on Jackie Earle Haley's resume.
        Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

I did not see it (fan of the original), but it got a B- from the audience (Cinemascore), which isn't good if you consider the first weekend audience will be horror fans. Also, ther was already a heavy drop off from Friday to Saturday - word of mouth can now kill a film's opening weekend (texting, etc). Add to that - IRON MAN 2 opens next weekend - I predict a major drop.

The problem with remakes is that the brand brings 'em in, but then they compare it to the original... and that could keep 'em out second weekend (or Saturday). It's one thing to remake some crappy horror film, and do it at a budget that makes sense ($15m), but when you remake a film that fans love and own the DVD of and have high expectations for - well, that's playing with fire.

Didn't Orson Welles once say that the problem with remakes is that they remake the good films instead of the ones that actually *can* be made better?

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            Didn't Orson Welles once say that the problem with remakes is that they remake the good films instead of the ones that actually *can* be made better?
            The original Nightmare *can* be improved.

PS: Cinemascore seems to me like it's a big ****ing joke. Even the absolute worst of films are given no worse than a B- rating. Give me a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
              I fell asleep half way through but unlike the lucky characters in the film, I wasn't put out of my misery.
              You fell asleep watching NIghtmare on Elm St?

Irony at its finest.
              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                The original Nightmare *can* be improved.

PS: Cinemascore seems to me like it's a big ****ing joke. Even the absolute worst of films are given no worse than a B- rating. Give me a break.
                How can a scientific poll be a joke? They ask *every single person* in a bunch of cinemas all over the USA what they thought of a film. And, there are Fs and Ds and Cs. ALEXANDER got a D+ (average), THE BOX got an F (average - some age/sex group gave it a D-). Plenty of crappy movies get Ds - Fs are probably rare because there's usually *something* in every movie that's mildly entertaining.

Cinemascore is what the people who pay to see movies think of the movies they have paid to see. A snapshot of what our boss likes.

PS: The thing about Cinemascore is that it is opening weekend audience - the people who most want to see that movie. So when that target audience gives the film a B-, that is not a good thing. When the target audience gives it an F or D, you are in big trouble.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:

Comment

How can a scientific poll be a joke? They ask *every single person* in a bunch of cinemas all over the USA what they thought of a film. And, there are Fs and Ds and Cs. ALEXANDER got a D+ (average), THE BOX got an F (average - some age/sex group gave it a D-). Plenty of crappy movies get Ds - Fs are probably rare because there's usually *something* in every movie that's mildly entertaining.

Cinemascore is what the people who pay to see movies think of the movies they have paid to see. A snapshot of what our boss likes.

PS: The thing about Cinemascore is that it is opening weekend audience - the people who most want to see that movie. So when that target audience gives the film a B-, that is not a good thing. When the target audience gives it an F or D, you are in big trouble.

- Bill
                  I agree. A B- is a bad grade because the opening audience is usually comprised of the more die-hard fans of the genre and so are more lenient/wanting to like it which reflects in their grading. Just think about all the horror festivals out there. Festival goers will like any movie shown there more than the average Joe. So if even the target audience gives it a B-, you can expect the mainstream audience to score it lower which would make it a C or lower. Pretty awful grade once you take this into account.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                    I think one of the writers, Eric Heisserer, used to be on Zoetrope. Think he had a spec that landed him a bunch of meetings, including with prodco PLANTINUM DUNES that have been rebooting a lot of these horror flicks.

Cool to see him land the ELM STREET gig. Always is when see a writer on the forums make it through the development marathon. It's like, "Hey, I remember him."
                    So he's one of these bastards reponsible for these crappy remakes and reboots, is he?

Bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                      I agree. A B- is a bad grade because the opening audience is usually comprised of the more die-hard fans of the genre and so are more lenient/wanting to like it
                      Not always - when you are dealing with horror fans, they have seen a million horror movies and are genre experts. A horror film that an average viewer might like, they may think is crap because when compared to other horror films, it does not deliver. But the aspects of a movie that appeal to a horror audience may not appeal to an average audience member (who are not genre experts).

And B- means the *target audience for the movie* thought it was "okay" but not great. When the target audience for your movie isn't thrilled you are in trouble.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:

Comment

Yeah, I'd give it a B- or C. Probably a C. I can take some insult to my intelligence in a horror flick, but there's gotta be a kick-ass scene, or some fun to it, that would make it worth mentioning to someone else to see. Unless you know someone involved with the flick, or are trying to get into a girl's pants (like I was), then there's no real reason to rush out and see it.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
                          Oscar nom for LITTLE CHILDREN -- was in WATCHMEN and SHUTTER ISLAND. He certainly does have a career -- and a very promising one at that.
                          He was also in SEMI-PRO and the recent HUMAN TARGET TV series (hope it gets renewed).
                          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

For all their effort to make this movie serious and scary I'd rather watch the most ludicrous entry in the series, FREDDY'S DEAD: THE FINAL BUT ACTUALLY 6/9TH NIGHTMARE SO FAR, than ever watch this boring fukking bowel movement of a remake again. Platinum Dunes, you are still on my sh!tlist, you a$$holes.

Comment

Not always - when you are dealing with horror fans, they have seen a million horror movies and are genre experts. A horror film that an average viewer might like, they may think is crap because when compared to other horror films, it does not deliver. But the aspects of a movie that appeal to a horror audience may not appeal to an average audience member (who are not genre experts).
                              Amen on that. And it all goes back to the tourists and locals. The tourists keep the economy moving, and the locals bitch about the tourists.
                              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Not terribly pleased with the final product here.

Ranks down pretty low in the horror remake hierarchy. TCM and HALLOWEEN rank way above this one in my eyes(which is not me saying those are classics either).

Huge fan of all horror franchises, but I'm not a fan of this one very much at all. Very weird without Robert Englund.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X