Jerry Maguire -- and what has happened to Cruise?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Maguire -- and what has happened to Cruise?

My daughter had never seen Jerry Maguire, so we all watched it last night. What a great movie -- and performances by all. What struck me most was how good (and credible) Tom Cruise was in a romantic lead. It also made me wonder what's happened to him in recent years -- because the guy can definitely act. Is it that he's not getting good scripts? Maguire was an incredible one. Is it that we've all overdosed on Tom Cruise and now see him as Tom Cruise in any role? Or is it that his personal life antics have affected the way we view him? Maybe it's a combination of all three.

Again, the guy can definitely act. But something has definitely changed. Any thoughts?

Re: Jerry Maguire -- and what has happened to Cruise?

I think it's his choice of projects. He's still picking the kind of big-budget, flash-bang actioners that his waning star power can no longer amp up into the kind of 'event movie' standing that he used to enjoy back in the day. Else he is making dramas against the climate of the market, like Lions for Lambs - a talky middle east issues drama three years after audiences were sick to death of middle east issues - or Valkyrie - which was actually a brilliant movie, but really, who wants to go see Nazi's on Christmas week?
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

And he looked ridiculous with that eye patch.

And now he's trying way too hard with that Les Grossman character.
      Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
        My daughter had never seen Jerry Maguire, so we all watched it last night. What a great movie -- and performances by all. What struck me most was how good (and credible) Tom Cruise was in a romantic lead. It also made me wonder what's happened to him in recent years -- because the guy can definitely act. Is it that he's not getting good scripts? Maguire was an incredible one. Is it that we've all overdosed on Tom Cruise and now see him as Tom Cruise in any role? Or is it that his personal life antics have affected the way we view him? Maybe it's a combination of all three.

Again, the guy can definitely act. But something has definitely changed. Any thoughts?
        All the above.

For me (can't speak for the "tabloid" junkies out there) I tend to enjoy the work of actors/actresses who you don't see everytime you're standing in line at the supermarket.

That prevents overexposure and gives our imagination room to wander when said actor goes from playing a dirty cop to a post-apocalyptic prophet/warrior (Washington) or if he goes from playing a sympathetic mob boss, to a ruthless cuban drug kingpin, to the devil himself (Pacino).

These PR execs and Agents *THINK* their clients benefit from the TMZ-ish exposure, but they really don't. Seems most of the "tabloid" stars' biggest hits came BEFORE their personal lives became water cooler talk. And they never seem to get a big hit afterwards.

For example, I watched "Changeling" starring Angelina Jolie a couple months ago. Intriguing movie. Good script. Well directed. But I couldn't really get into it because I kept looking at her and thinking...

"That's the girl that stole Brad Pitt from the Friends chick with the seventeen African babies that hates her father."

In a profession where they get paid from portraying OTHER PEOPLE, me thinks it's best they keep their personal business as close to the chest as possible.
        "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
        - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
          Scientology?
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

It is kinda weird how he always plays a divorced guy (War Of The Worlds), a widower (Minority Report), a single guy (Collateral, Rain Man), an asexual (Legend, Interview/Vampire), a jerk (Magnolia) etc.

This guy has had less romantic leads than Robert Deniro.

Of course, now he's too old. It's Ryan Reynolds time now.

Comment

Ryan Reynolds is a poor man's Chris Evans.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                Sure, but by this time next year, he will be the biggest star in the world.

Comment

Maybe, but I doubt it. He might have his profile raised a bit, but it could just as easily do to his career what Daredevil did to Affleck's. So many comic book movies are just awful. How many have we had in the last ten years and how many have actually been any good? Nolan's Batman movies, the first Iron Man, and...?

Comment

That's like saying the MONA LISA is the poor man's American Gothic.

Comment

Maybe, but I doubt it. He might have his profile raised a bit, but it could just as easily do to his career what Daredevil did to Affleck's. So many comic book movies are just awful. How many have we had in the last ten years and how many have actually been any good? Nolan's Batman movies, the first Iron Man, and...?

I'm not even talking comic books. He's got the romantic comedy lead thing locked up (Proposal) the contained thriller (Buried) and action movies (Motorcade, which I think he stole from Cruise).

It's a long way from Van Wilder and The Nines.

Comment

Fair enough, but you said this time next year he'll be the bihhest star in the world. The only things he has goin on in that time are tentpole comic book adaptations and a couple of tiny indies. He's doing well for himself, but given his output he is no more primed to be the next global screen icon than, say, Gerrard Butler is.

Comment

Fair enough, but you said this time next year he'll be the bihhest star in the world. The only things he has goin on in that time are tentpole comic book adaptations and a couple of tiny indies. He's doing well for himself, but given his output he is no more primed to be the next global screen icon than, say, Gerrard Butler is.

Yeah, not drinking the Ryan Reynolds koolaid over here. No sir.

Every time I see him I remember cringing at his cameo in Harold and Kumar and his Van Wilder movies. I can't stand those actors that HW tries to "forcefeed" down our throats without them really having the resume to back it up. He's like a living breathing conspiracy, lol.

The last Ryan Reynolds was Colin Farrel, and thank God they gave that one up. For a moment it seemed like every other flick was a Colin Farrel vehicle and the trailers basically BEGGED us to believe he was the combination of Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, and James Dean.

And the pubilc responded: "Nah. I'll pass."

Comment

I think TOM CRUISE is and and will be one of the greatest ACTORS of his time. The guy has played every role. And most of the time DELIVERS. I think the hate for Tom and his religious beliefes is thick. I think he needs to go back to a Cameron Crowe type movie, or something where he's in an ensemble cast with Big actors like an Ocean's 11 type movie.

Ryan Reynolds is decent actor who's getting better. But he's nowhere near Tom Cruise's level. I rooting for Chris Pine. I need to seee more of him though.

I also really like Colin Farrel, I think he just needs another MAJOR role again. Farrel all day over Reynolds for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                              I think TOM CRUISE is and and will be one of the greatest ACTORS of his time. The guy has played every role. And most of the time DELIVERS. I think the hate for Tom and his religious beliefes is thick. I think he needs to go back to a Cameron Crowe type movie, or something where he's in an ensemble cast with Big actors like an Ocean's 11 type movie.

Ryan Reynolds is decent actor who's getting better. But he's nowhere near Tom Cruise's level. I rooting for Chris Pine. I need to seee more of him though.

I also really like Colin Farrel, I think he just needs another MAJOR role again. Farrel all day over Reynolds for me.

I'm with you on the Tom Cruise religious backlash. Which is why I think Actors should refrain from being so "open" with their personal lives.

I know paparazzi are vicious and aggressive, but last time I checked, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Pacino, DeNiro, Julia Roberts, etc, have managed to keep their personal lives -- personal.

Comment

Working...
                              X