Clear All

• There's Something About Mary - The Best Comedy of the past 2 decades

The Hangover is second.

Dumb and Dumber is third

Old School is fourth.

Borat is fifth

I'm right and you know it...

Best = Funniest
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Re: There's Something About Mary - The Best Comedy of the past 2 decades

I don't disagree. Hadn't seen DUMB & DUMBER forever, and the bluray was on sale somewhere for $4 a few months ago, and I laughed all over again. I think one of the things these movies have in common is heart - they are funny, but also stories that connect on an emotional level (at least to me). Okay, maybe not BORAT as much (since even though he's an innocent, there's some mean spirited comedy in there), but MARY is a sweet story at heart, and HANGOVER is really about friendship, and OLD SCHOOL is about finding new ways to lengthen your penis.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
      The Hangover is second.

Dumb and Dumber is third

Old School is fourth.

Borat is fifth

Best = Funniest
      You're wrong. The Hangover for one is broad crap and old school is even broader crappier crap. I think The Big Lebowski should be on the top of the list, and maybe find somewhere for Bowfinger too, gotta give ole Bobby a look in.
      Last edited by Jules; 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM.
      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
        You're wrong. The Hangover for one is broad crap and old school is even broader crappier crap. I think The Big Lebowski should be on the top of the list, and maybe find somewhere for Bowfinger too, gotta give ole Bobby a look in.
        Bowfinger is funny in a delightful way. The Big Lebowski is funny in an "Gestalty" way, which can be enhanced by weed.

But the broad comedy you speak of that Hollywood gravitated toward post-Woody Allen post Mel Brooks and post John Hughes and post-the lesser wannabe high school comedies of the 80s,belongs to those movies, followed by some of the Mike Myers, Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler vehicles.
        Last edited by Ire; 01-19-2013, 03:28 AM.
        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

This list of yours is compiled of popular and funny films don't get me wrong, but you can't say it is the "be all and end all" list for all people when individual tastes vary so widely.

Now begins the usual back and forth game of "I'm right."

(It's as bad as that pointless game called tennis.)

Comment

It all depends on your age and your current preferences...

There was a time when I felt Wayne's World and Ace Ventura deserved awards for their hilarious content, needless to say I don't feel that way anymore.

TODAY I believe "The Life Aquatic" belongs on that list but will I still feel that way in twenty years?

Based on Dafoe's performance I'm gonna have to say "Yes". He stole the show IMO...

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
              Bowfinger is funny in a delightful way. The Big Lebowski is funny in an "Gestalty" way, which can be enhanced by weed.

But the broad comedy you speak of that Hollywood gravitated toward post-Woody Allen post John Hughes and post-the lesser wannabe high school comedies of the 80s belongs to those movies followed by some of the Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                The Hangover is second.

Dumb and Dumber is third

Old School is fourth.

Borat is fifth

Best = Funniest
                Different strokes. I got about 3 laughs out of all of them combined. But hey, if they made other people laugh, then the world is a better place for it.

Midnite

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post
                  This list of yours is compiled of popular and funny films don't get me wrong, but you can't say it is the "be all and end all" list for all people when individual tastes vary so widely.

Now begins the usual back and forth game of "I'm right."

(It's as bad as that pointless game called tennis.)
                  Point taken. Comedy is subjective. But sometimes making bold sweeping statements provokes discussion.

Comment

If we're simply talking about movies that had me laughing hysterically for extended periods of time, Mary is a very good choice. I could probably name better *overall* comedy movies, but they probably didn't make me laugh until my belly started to hurt.

Comment

gotta say, after not see TSAM in years, I watched about a half hour last night and it held up really well.

Still, gun to my head, if I'm watching a Farrelly Brother's movie, it's Dumb and Dumber or Kingpin

Comment

1) Hot Tub Time Machine
                        2) Horrible Bosses
                        3) Ted
                        4) There's Something About Mary/Role Models

Hangover is a dire film.
                        M.A.G.A.

Comment

nah, pull out old school, stamp it to death and carefully and gently insert Monty Python's Life of Brian (or maybe the holy Grail)
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

No no no. The 5 funniest movies of the past decade are:

5) THE WICKER MAN - I was in stitches. But then again, lately everything Nick Cage has been in leaves me, literally, with my mouth stitched shut that I ever praised him in LEAVING LAS VEGAS.

4) THE ROOM - hilarious proof that Western Civ is not just doomed, but we're going to sink beneath the waves chortling in our own overripe blood.

3) THE HAPPENING - M. Night at his goofy best. Watch it without falling in the aisles laughing. I dare you.

2) THE DA VINCI CODE - is actually a send-up of the earlier BBC laugh romp, HOLY BLOOD HOLY GRAIL. Memorable for putting the notion in our communal mind that Tom Hanks not only ISN'T the reincarnation of Jimmy Stewart, but that in his essence he's Hollywood's equivalent of Al Gore: eg, a witless, self-important fool. The death of character Jacques Saunière by albino monk attack is one of the high points of unintentional comedy.

1) INDIANA JONES & THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL - the more grimly determined Nosirrah Drof (as "Indiana Jones") looks, the funnier he is. Also an excellent set-up for the runner-up yukfests of the TRANSFIRMER franchise -- all these movies featuring a "let's skip a generation before we let anybody new in"-inducing Shia Labeouf (and, no, I didn't spell his name backwards)....
                            Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 01-19-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Army of Darkness.
                              OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies.
                              Team America: World Police.
                              Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theatres.
                              24 Hour Party People.
                              Black Dynamite.

Comment

Working...
                              X