No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Independence Day: Resurgence

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
    But that sounds more like Interstellar 2. Completely different from ID4 which was an alien invasion story.

Too bad China is in the picture now. The trailer didn't even hint at that.
    Actually, my idea sounds more like Prometheus. Instead of another Alien sequel, Ridley gave us a deep space origin story. And it did pretty well at the BO.

Maybe I'm just a sci-fi buff, but I always thought ID4's backstory had great potential for mining. I always wondered about the other worlds/civilizations the "locust aliens" (which are a very realistic possibility according to Hawking) consumed on their path to Earth. Maybe the sequel could have visited one of those past worlds in re-tracing the aliens origins.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Roland Emmerich, along with Paul W.S. Anderson, is the rare filmmaker that started off terrible and somehow became worse with each successive film. For all the hate Michael Bay gets, at least he's a legitimately good cinematographer and even gets decent performances from his lead actors. Almost all of Emmerich's films are miscast, and with the exception of Mel Gibson in The Patriot (virtually the only heavyweight Emmerich has worked with in terms of leads), he's never gotten a commanding lead performance from anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        I always wondered about the other worlds/civilizations the "locust aliens" (which are a very realistic possibility according to Hawking) consumed on their path to Earth.
        That's like total bullsh!t, man. Anyone with half a brain knows the real threat comes from aliens with anti-virus software installed.
        Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
        "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Is it me or are modern blockbusters being written to the point of utter convolutedness on purpose. It's like the writers are trying to prove how "genius" they are by being able to intertwine 12 characters, 6 subplots and 12 arcs/payoffs.

Will we ever be able to get back to a day when blockbusters had simple story structure? Like Jurassic Park?

Comment

Popcorn drivel. It felt no worse or better than tons of other stuff out there. On the nose dialogue, I can live with that. My biggest disconnect was that it couldn't find its tone. I felt the same way about the Hobbit movies. Fun to look at, but... zero emotion. Still. It was entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl S. Court View Post
              Movies really need to start coming with a "tailored for a Chinese audience, your enjoyment may be reduced" warning. And it's not just the dialogue, aspects of the story feel like they've been shaped in a way they might not have been a few years ago.
              I'm learning to spot the red flags:

- Vast amounts of CGI
              - Very little story content
              - That little voice in the back of your head going, "Who would even want this and why are they advertising it so hard?"

Most blatant recent examples: Warcraft, the Michael Bay TMNT sequel

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                That's like total bullsh!t, man. Anyone with half a brain knows the real threat comes from aliens with anti-virus software installed.
                ROFL.

Comment

If I want to see crap I'll look in my toilet.
                  I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

Working...
                  X