No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCREENWRITING SECRETS: How to Land An Agent

Hi Everyone,

I'm a produced screenwriter and film lecturer based in London.

Over the years, I've secured the representation of ten different agents and managers. (I recently signed with my tenth, and hopefully, final rep).

In today's film on my you tube channel SCRIPTFELLA, I dish out my top tips for securing a Hollywood literary agent. https://youtu.be/8sEAUS0M9vs

I push beyond the usual tactics, and posit the ultimate question which every screenwriter should answer before turning pro - as a writer, what do you want to become KNOWN for?

Who is SCRIPTFELLA?

I'm a veteran screenwriter, story consultant, Film & TV lecturer. I've been optioned or commissioned by over 30 US and UK studios and production companies including: Universal Studios, Working Title, Bold Films, Scott Free, BBC and ITV. Recent produced credits include the award-winning motion picture Bram Fischer (2017) and the not-so-award winning Hard Target 2 (2016)...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the video tutorial either here in the comments or on my channel. And please feel free to ask me any screenwriting questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Happy Agent Hunting,

Scriptfella

Re: SCREENWRITING SECRETS: How to Land An Agent

Great video! It looked great (seriously, the lighting was very good), you were easy to listen to, and the info was great. I almost felt like Liam Neeson was telling me how to use my particular set of skills!

Maybe it's your next video, but once you have a strategy and a script, what's the best way to make contacts to get those recommendations? It doesn't appear to be cold query emails or competitions.

Comment

Nice shout-out, MegaBlahBlah, thanks. I'm glad you found my vid useful.
      I'll have a think about the follow up.

In answer to your question - if you get yourself ready on the page, and also educate yourself about the business, you shouldn't have to ask people to help or read you. They will offer to help you.

When you meet someone in the biz, maybe an assistant or a creative exec, don't pitch too soon. Be a human being, try and establish a connection. If they want to read your script they will request it. It sounds counter intuitive - "How will they know that I have something to sell unless l talk about it...?" If you've been a good human being, and they know you're a writer, they should ask "what are you working on?" And casual as you like, THEN you pitch a killer one liner. And if they like the sound of that, they'll ask more questions and maybe then request the script.

Although competitions are tough, the best ones are worth it and it is possible to find a rep from one. Cold emailing reps is the least fruitful path. Even if the agency or manager requests the script, it's going to be at the bottom of their reading pile. If you listen to the Scripts and Scribes podcasts, you'll hear the interviewer ask various reps what works for them in a query email. The rep trots out a response, but when the interviewer asks them whether they have actually signed a client off a query, 9 times out of 10 the answer is no.

Good luck!

SCRIPTFELLA

Screenwriting. Storytelling. Hollywood.

HOW TO LAND A HOLLYWOOD AGENT
      https://youtu.be/8sEAUS0M9vs
      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 12-23-2018, 08:35 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTFELLA View Post

HOW TO LAND A HOLLYWOOD AGENT
        https://youtu.be/8sEAUS0M9s
        The link above doesn't work.

Comment

SCRIPTFELLA,

Thanks for the informative video. I watched your other one on finding an agent and I appreciate the insight!

K44

Comment

Thanks K44 - glad you got some value out of the video. Mark - is the link working okay now?

best

Dominic

Comment

Great video, thanks Dominic!

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTFELLA View Post
                Thanks K44 - glad you got some value out of the video. Mark - is the link working okay now?

best

Dominic
                Yes, the link works now. Thanks.

Well done video, you should be in the film business.

Comment

Working...
                X