Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Love Screenwriting

Tough Love Screenwriting: The Real Deal From A Twenty-Year Pro by John Jarrell.

This is an insightful and informative book written by an experienced, proven professional and well worth the price of admission.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM. Reason: Unnecessary
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: Tough Love Screenwriting

p. 297-298 were pretty interesting in light of the last six months.
    Last edited by cvolante; 01-24-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
      p. 297-298 were pretty interesting in light of the last six months.
      Mine's a Kindle version, so I can't tell what reference you make.
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

The chapter 2/3 through the book about working for the person who seemed to have a thing for very young women...

Comment

The “Anatomy” chapter? If so, I heartily agree with you.

At the beginning of the Pleistocene Era, I was trained to be a newspaper journalist and a newspaper is (was) a thing that was in print and could be referred to repeatedly. If there were typos, let alone errors-in-fact, a newspaper journalist could be called on the carpet for it. Radio and television broadcasters, on the other hand, could misspeak and ordinarily, no one would call them on it.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I'm talking about content, you're talking about grammatical errors and editing problems?

The guy worked for someone rumored to have been at the very least "icky" and basically since the author had already details about a time he'd been burned in the past for standing up for what's right, he chose to stay out of it. He didn't specify or give details. Maybe it was all rumors.

I was just saying I found it "interesting" in light of everything that has gone on in the last six months (or 75+ years?): a window into why these things go on and on.

Comment

I'm talking about content, you're talking about grammatical errors and editing problems?
              Hi. I answered with my question to you about the content (on the point I believed you referred to), although now I believe I didn't get your hint.
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

The guy worked for someone rumored to have been at the very least "icky" and basically since the author had already details about a time he'd been burned in the past for standing up for what's right, he chose to stay out of it. He didn't specify or give details. Maybe it was all rumors.

I was just saying I found it "interesting" in light of everything that has gone on in the last six months (or 75+ years?): a window into why these things go on and on.
                Oh! Yes, I found that passage (finally). Your “icky” is a good word for it.
                Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Still, there's Jarrell's disclaimer at book's Preface, to wit:

“If you have any moral, ethical or religious issues with profanity, foul language, crude and unkind references and/ or seriously ****ed-up stories, this book is probably not for you. Please, don't buy, borrow, illegally download or otherwise acquire it. Don't DL to your Kindle or iPhone X then write an indignant Amazon review saying it's the Devil's work, it harms the simple minded or threatens National Security. You'd simply be wasting your time... and Jeff Bezos's costly server space.”

Jarrell, John. Tough Love Screenwriting: The Real Deal From A Twenty-Year Pro (Kindle Locations 191-195). Docaloc Publishing. Kindle Edition.
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I could give a **** about the language or contents of the book. It's the window into the world of complicity that got under my skin.

I'm ****ing pissed that Hillary didn't fire that jackass harassment guy and that MSU and the gymnastics people had zero clue what was going on (or did they?) and that for whatever reason I knew enough in the early 2000s that I had nightmares about both Harvey and Bob Weinstein and STILL I was excited in 2014 when a producer wanted to pitch my movie to the Weinstein Co. I was ****ing excited.

**** THAT.

Tough love, tough schmove. Time's up.

That's why I write indie books at this point.

My sentiments are best expressed by Cameron Frye.

MODS/WILL: Feel free to delete all my comments since I'm off topic. Or I can. Just Tiger's comments will look weird with mine gone. He's trying to promote a book, I'm picking at 2 pages because of society.
                    Last edited by cvolante; 01-27-2018, 06:52 AM. Reason: To clarify that I did NOT write those ***s. I used real honest-to-god WORDS.

Comment

I could give a **** about the language or contents of the book. It's the window into the world of complicity that got under my skin.

I'm ****ing pissed that Hillary didn't fire that jackass harassment guy and that MSU and the gymnastics people had zero clue what was going on (or did they?) and that for whatever reason I knew enough in the early 2000s that I had nightmares about both Harvey and Bob Weinstein and STILL I was excited in 2014 when a producer wanted to pitch my movie to the Weinstein Co. I was ****ing excited.

**** THAT.

Tough love, tough schmove. Time's up.

That's why I write indie books at this point.

My sentiments are best expressed by Cameron Frye.

MODS/WILL: Feel free to delete all my comments since I'm off topic. Or I can. Just Tiger's comments will look weird with mine gone. He's trying to promote a book, I'm picking at 2 pages because of society.
                      Your comments and sentiments are valid for you, IMHO, and need no moderation here.

A lot of these types of books carry an undertone of nostalgic regret with a subtext that the author(s) are no longer living that life and they seem to miss those days not just because of the money, but for the attention as well.
                      Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-12-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

If there were typos, let alone errors in fact, a newspaper journalist could be called on the carpet for it.
                        Tiger Fang, you said that you were working there at the beginning of the Pleistocene. I was doing the same thing (even earlier - right after the Big Bang? ).

For a short time I worked on a state-wide newspaper. It was a real, old-fashioned newspaper with a hot back shop where Linotype machines put out lead type.

We had two or three women sitting in a special small room, where they read all the copy to catch problems with spelling and, I suppose, to spot gross infractions of normal usage. Of course, I was a perfectionist, so anything incorrect coming from me was purely an oversight.

Maybe the innovations during the Pleistocene included cutbacks to eliminate the proofing staff.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                          Tiger Fang, you said that you were working there at the beginning of the Pleistocene. I was doing the same thing (even earlier — right after the Big Bang? ).

For a short time I worked on a state-wide newspaper. It was a real, old-fashioned newspaper with a hot back shop where Linotype machines put out lead type.

We had two or three women sitting in a special small room, where they read all the copy to catch problems with spelling and, I suppose, to spot gross infractions of normal usage. Of course, I was a perfectionist, so anything incorrect coming from me was purely an oversight.

Maybe the innovations during the Pleistocene included cutbacks to eliminate the proofing staff.
                          Ah, ComicBent! You conjure up fine memories for me, what with your allusions to lead linotype bars and ingots magically transformed into the alphabet and characters for printing in ye olde “hot back shop.”

My reference to the “Pleistocene Era” was merely a metaphor for how much change I've seen in the technology of communication, but your imagery brought to mind my time spent in Mainz, Germany long ago.

There I would take my horses to be shod by a blacksmith known as Johannes Gutenberg. He was a fine gunsmith as well, and my horses' gaits were never so improved, nor did my Damascus steel shotguns ever fire a finer pattern of shot, than after a visit to his busy shop.

Once, on a visit for such necessary work in those times, I happened to catch him busily poring over some mechanical device at the rear of his shop.

“Johannes!” I cried out. “What form of deviltry are you set upon now?”

He smiled up at me and then once again bent over his machine, working a combobulated complication of levers and gears, with a large square plate suspended in its middle.

Approaching cautiously, I viewed the contraption with warranted suspicion. I had never seen such a thing in all my days. It appeared to be some medical device for compressing one's noggin when afflicted with aches of the head.

“What manner of machinations are you finagling with now?” I asked of him, for good old “Johnny G.” — as we estate owners oft referred to him — was always up to some sort of mechanical mischief.

He spoke not, but instead turned a piece upon a large screw in the center of his device, forced down a lever which raised the large square plate in the center, and pulled from beneath it a sheaf of parchment. He handed it to me.

There before my eyes was what ought to have been handwritten text, and yet it was not handwritten. I could read it, even with more ease than that which was handwritten, yet it had none of the hallmarks of the hand of a person.

What Johannes handed me that day was nothing short of a miracle, and I its first witness. The world would never be the same again after this was out. This I knew to a certainty, and told him:

“Johannes, old friend!” I said. “There's a typo in the first line, here. It says ‘created the havens’ when it ought to read ‘created the heavens.’ Just looking out for you, buddy. You know, I just want you to ‘look smart’ to the world, old man.”

Johnny G. snatched the sheaf of parchment from my hands, scowled at me, then set about adding a lead ingot in its designated place. “Suddenly, everyone's a critic,” he muttered, and went about his work.
                          Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-08-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X