Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying Final Draft 9 Scriptnotes in PDF

Is there a way to display Final Draft 9 Scriptnotes in a PDF when I send a draft to someone who doesn't use Final Draft?

I checked the FD site, googled, and searched here but didn't find the answer...
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Displaying Final Draft 9 Scriptnotes in PDF

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    Is there a way to display Final Draft 9 Scriptnotes in a PDF when I send a draft to someone who doesn't use Final Draft?

I checked the FD site, googled, and searched here but didn't find the answer...
    It doesn't look like it can be done directly, but you can print a separate document with just the notes ...

Question
    Is it possible to print out a script with all the ScriptNotes™ markers expanded?

Answer
    ScriptNotes™ markers can't be printed with the script. They can only be printed in a separate report. Go to Tools > Reports and choose ScriptNote Report. This will generate a separate document with all ScriptNotes™ markers.
    http://kb.finaldraft.com/article/1001/817/
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Re: Displaying Final Draft 9 Scriptnotes in PDF

I saw this two months ago, and I knew that it could not be done.

However, there is one thing that I did not think about. This might help someone else. It will work well if you only have a few notes here and there. It will work with lots of notes, too, but it will be more cumbersome.

With some fairly inexpensive PDF software (which I will talk about in a minute), you can easily put "expandable" notes into the PDF.

METHOD
      1. Obtain PDF software (see later).
      2. Create the PDF of your script. Open it.
      3. Open your Final Draft script.
      4. You are now going to create notes in the PDF. Somewhere on the toolbar or in a menu (or both) you will have an option to create a note. The note can go anywhere that you want to place it. An icon will provide the location of the note.
      5. You will quickly see how to expand the note and how to reduce it to an icon.
      6. Copy the note from your Final Draft script. Paste it into the note in the PDF.
      7. You will see that you can do this very quickly. As I said, as long as you do not have a zillion notes, it will be easy.
      8. Save your PDF file in order to retain the notes that you have put into it.
      9. You now have a PDF file with note icons, placed where you want them. You can click the icon to open the note. You can then close the note.
      THE PDF SOFTWARE

Do not even think about paying for Adobe software. If you have it already, fine. But you do not need Adobe's overpriced software to do these things.

You can look around for various software programs. I know that the following company puts out good products at a reasonable price. I use its products myself.

PDF-XChange PRO ($93.50)
      This is what I currently use. I have an older version, but as soon as I set up my recently purchased computer (the old desktop died two weeks ago, after a long illness), I am going to get this.

PDF-XChange Editor Plus ($54.50)
      PDF-XChange Editor ($43.50)
      These are essentially the same. I think that the only significant difference is that the "Plus" version lets you create, edit, and save forms. You may not think that you will ever need this feature ... but someday you might be surprised.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
      X