Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The American

How many more Rogue CIA movies are there going to be? I mean for an industry that demands originality, how many more of these type films are there gonna be? After seeing the first two Jason Bourne movies do I really need to see George Clooney beat people up, be a sniper, and then have the one person that we thought was on his side be the one who is setting him up in the end?

You want a movie? Get Scorcese to direct Deniro and Pacino in a mob movie. Instant box office success.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
      How many more Rogue CIA movies are there going to be? I mean for an industry that demands originality, how many more of these type films are there gonna be? After seeing the first two Jason Bourne movies do I really need to see George Clooney beat people up, be a sniper, and then have the one person that we thought was on his side be the one who is setting him up in the end?
      I just returned from seeing "The American" and your assessment of the movie is completely wrong.

This is a European film masquerading as a "thriller" because George's name is splashed all over it. It's very literary in its execution vs. cinematic (it is an adaptation after all). It's not about CIA operatives, spies, car chases, etc.

I won't post any spoilers... But George's character is not a hitman per say. He's a supplier. I'll leave it that.

This movie has a very slow burn going on. Its pace is deliberate and there is an uneasy tension all the way through because you don't know what is going to happen next... But not in the typical way American cinema sustains tension where you're waiting for the next action sequence to explode and propel you through a paper-thin plot.

It's not a perfect movie by any means, but it was amusing watching people shift uncomfortably in their seats at the slower pace. I know they went in expecting a "Bourne" clone because of the trailers and instead got "Stealing Beauty with Guns" more or less. This is a terrible analogy, but it's the closet thing I can think of that this film is similar to in tone and pacing.

For those thinking about seeing it... Do it.

It's the kind of movie meant to be seen on the big screen with 7.1 digital sound. The cinematography lingers on beautiful images and the sound editing is top notch considering some of the tension comes from well-placed directional sounds at just the right moment.
      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

i just came back from seeing it. an interesting film. it's too bad really that audiences have been conditioned for fast-paced action. this film is a solid character-study of a confused assassin (supplier does fit right) who is on the verge of leaving for good.

**spoiler**

one thing annoyed me - the mechanic said he would take a look at the bumper. no way he could have known the car was damaged as he came out of the garage after george's car was parked; and, george never mentioned kicking it off moments earlier.

hehe... little things piss me off. guess it's better than big things, right?

anyway, the european feel was definitely there, but i thought it was refreshing. when the violence actually did happen, due to the slower pace, i was primed and on-edge. for me, the pace actually amped up the feel in those tense, dramatic moments.
        Last edited by asjah8; 09-06-2010, 10:00 PM.
        life happens
        despite a few cracked pots-
        and random sunlight

Comment

I liked it quite a bit. Had a real Jim Jarmusch feel to it. Four people walked out mid-movie in the theater I was in. Probably because there weren't enough Michael Bay explosions. Very engaging feel with a great Italian backdrop. Having lived and traveled in Europe for a few years, the small town feel of cities like that is quite accurate.

Comment

Tough for me to see a Clooney movie. He seems more a personality than an actor to me.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

As a proud non-American, the title was an instant turn-off. Add George "over-rated and never been in a good film in his career" Clooney to the mix and it equates to something I'll skip.
              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                As a proud non-American, the title was an instant turn-off. Add George "over-rated and never been in a good film in his career" Clooney to the mix and it equates to something I'll skip.
                The director is Dutch, so that's a big plus. I want to see it because I loved Control. I heard it was too much style, too little substance though.
                Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                  ...George "over-rated and never been in a good film in his career" Clooney...
                  O Brother, Where Art Thou?
                  The Perfect Storm
                  Three Kings
                  Out of Sight
                  From Dusk Til Dawn

Other than that...yeah, he sucks - but those movies are definitely cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                    The Perfect Storm
                    Three Kings
                    Out of Sight
                    From Dusk Til Dawn

Other than that...yeah, he sucks - but those movies are definitely cool.
                    Ocean's Eleven (1st one) wasn't bad
                    Michael Clayton
                    Syriana

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
                      Ocean's Eleven (1st one) wasn't bad
                      Michael Clayton
                      Syriana
                      Good Night and Good Luck

but, other than those, what have the Romans ever done for us?!
                      Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

So we have:

Three Kings
                        Out of Sight
                        From Dusk Till Dawn
                        Ocean's Eleven
                        Michael Clayton
                        Syriana
                        Good Night, and Good Luck

(Sorry, Bio. Had to remove The Perfect Storm.)

That's eight movies that people could argue are pretty decent. I'd also add Soderbergh's version of Solaris, even though Tarkovsky's blows it the hell out of the sky. And Up in the Air, The Thin Red Line and Burn After Reading.

So that's twelve movies people could claim are at least good.

Comment

Originally posted by sppeterson View Post

but, other than those, what have the Romans ever done for us?!
                          give you drinkable water?

Comment

And don't forget this gem where he played the Lip Syncing Transvestite.

Clooney is the only real movie star right now. Like they used to make them. He's the closest there is to Bogart and Grant.
                            Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                              (Sorry, Bio. Had to remove The Perfect Storm.)
                              In favor of Syriana - one of the most boring and terrible films I have ever seen?

I hate you.

Comment

You say that, but your keyboard is filled with love.

Comment

Working...
                                X