No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FOX-NYTVF Comedy Script Contest

Originally posted by Boots View Post
    BTW, if you read my script, please feel free to leave comments. It's a little unnerving to see the reads go up and nobody saying anything.

Good luck to all on Monday!
    I read it! I laughed at the date with the obnoxious guy who knew one of Jeffrey Dahmer's victims.

While I am pleased with my pilot overall, I do worry that my humor isn't edgy enough or that there aren't enough jokes. Guess I will find out in four days.

Comment

sorry double post
      Last edited by bmcthomas; 06-21-2012, 09:09 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

Thanks! I know mine doesn't have a shot either -- Ryan Murphy is doing almost the exact same premise in The New Normal. But I guess there are worse problems to have than being on the same mental track as the number one showrunner in town.

Comment

Thanks! I know mine doesn't have a shot either -- Ryan Murphy is doing almost the exact same premise in The New Normal. But I guess there are worse problems to have than being on the same mental track as the number one showrunner in town.
          They were still accepting entries, right up to the last day of the submission period, so the odds are probably better than 1 in 1500. Obviously, I'd be thrilled to win, but I'd be pretty damn thrilled to make the top 25 too.

I do wish I'd found this forum before I entered, though. I belong to a critique group and they did read my script, but they are all prose writers, which is what I am, primarily. I made some rookie mistakes that an hour's visit to this forum would have prevented.

Comment

I'd be thrilled with a finals spot too, but I'm not holding my breath. Even if they didn't reach 1500 entries, the odds are pretty long. Fun to think about, though.
            I'd love to read your script, though. If you're willing, message me and I'll send my email.

Comment

I considered it an accomplishment just to get my first script done and this contest was my first submission. Good luck to all!

Comment

Maybe they only got 25 submissions, and we'll all be finalists

Comment

Here's hoping. But, if not, I look at it this way: you can't swing a dead cat in this town without hitting somebody calling themselves a writer. But 9 times out 10, if you ask what they've written, the response is "well, I haven't actually FINISHED anything yet." In that regard, every entrant is way ahead of the game.

Comment

True story. If people ask me, I can officially say... "I've written three feature scripts I hate... and one pilot I love!"

Comment

8 specs, 1 (awful) feature, and 2.5 pilots over here.

Comment

It is the same way with all types of writing. I write nonfiction books (a real publisher) and the people who come up and tell me they have written books "Too!" is amazing. I think it is the competitiveness of the area where I live...perhaps. When I say "great", "would love to see it, where can I buy it?", they turn out to be manuscripts that were never published and not even queried. It takes everything I have not to say "are you kidding me???!!!"

Here's hoping. But, if not, I look at it this way: you can't swing a dead cat in this town without hitting somebody calling themselves a writer. But 9 times out 10, if you ask what they've written, the response is "well, I haven't actually FINISHED anything yet." In that regard, every entrant is way ahead of the game.
                        Last edited by cacglass; 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cacglass View Post
                          It is the same way with all types of writing. I write nonfiction books (a real publisher) and the people who come up and tell me they have written books "Too!" is amazing. I think it is the competitiveness of the area where I live...perhaps. When I say "great", "would love to see it, where can I buy it?", they turn out to be manuscripts that were never published and not even queried. It takes everything I have not to say "are you kidding me???!!!"
                          How does one write a nonfiction book? The end products are all so amazing. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                            How does one write a nonfiction book? The end products are all so amazing. Seriously.
                            Thanks. I am an artist so had expertise in art topics. I deal with a lot of artists (do calls for submissions and invitations and mostly massive research) and the books are "how to" and/or coffee table and photo driven (although still a lot of writing..takes me at least 9 months to 1.5 years). It helps that I have a real artist resume/website that any artist can check out to see that I am legit. The publishers' books have a great reputation (sold all over the US and world) and these are not the "art books" that all these vanity publishers do and ask "entry" fees from artists and are pretty poor quality. I get emails from these vanity art publishers all the time.
                            The only sort of bad part is I don't accept a fair amount of work submitted to the call for submission (like any juried art event, not everyone makes it or the work may not be right for the book or the pics may not meet min. resolution) and I have got some really bizarre threatening emails. One crazy woman submitted low res. pics and the work was really terrible so I sent the standard nice rejection letter and she threatened to track me down, and worse, etc. Another one demaded that I choose the art works of her choosing or else and I was going to do the book "her way" or she was going to call my publisher. I revoked her acceptance. lol
                            Someone else compared it to "herding cats.""

Comment

Originally posted by cacglass View Post
                              Thanks. I am an artist so had expertise in art topics. I deal with a lot of artists (do calls for submissions and invitations and mostly massive research) and the books are "how to" and/or coffee table and photo driven (although still a lot of writing..takes me at least 9 months to 1.5 years). It helps that I have a real artist resume/website that any artist can check out to see that I am legit. The publishers' books have a great reputation (sold all over the US and world) and these are not the "art books" that all these vanity publishers do and ask "entry" fees from artists and are pretty poor quality. I get emails from these vanity art publishers all the time.
                              The only sort of bad part is I don't accept a fair amount of work submitted to the call for submission (like any juried art event, not everyone makes it or the work may not be right for the book or the pics may not meet min. resolution) and I have got some really bizarre threatening emails. One crazy woman submitted low res. pics and the work was really terrible so I sent the standard nice rejection letter and she threatened to track me down, and worse, etc. Another one demaded that I choose the art works of her choosing or else and I was going to do the book "her way" or she was going to call my publisher. I revoked her acceptance. lol
                              Someone else compared it to "herding cats.""
                              That's pretty awesome. I just picked up some pretty cool coffee table books myself at the book store. Nothing better on a Sunday to do.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
                                That's pretty awesome. I just picked up some pretty cool coffee table books myself at the book store. Nothing better on a Sunday to do.
                                I agree!

Comment

Working...
                                X