Assignments -- Can NEW writers without a sale really land them?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Assignments -- Can NEW writers without a sale really land them?

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post

Mandalay asked him to write a script on spec for them but he drew the line there. That's retarded. Spec'ing for someone is koo koo, imo.
    I agree. If you are going to spec... Spec for yourself.

I was in a similar situation.

I was fortunate to have two A-List writers... They are a pair; they were very hot at the time... Who wanted me to write a script on spec for an idea they had. They said, they were going to take it out and if all went well, pay me a percentage of their take (a percentage of a percentage!?), give me "story by" credit and all this other B.S.

Suffice to say, I turned down their offer.

Sure, I might have had the clout & connections of these two writers on my side... For a while... But I looked ahead at what the overall END RESULT was for ME. Which was nothing. Especially if it didn't sell. Not only is that a good chunk of time wasted developing the script with them, but it's mostly me doing all the work. Not to mention, it's their idea. They own it, even if I write it.

Looking back, I think they liked my writing, but they just got lazy and or greedy (due to over scheduling their own work) and wanted someone to do the heavy lifting for them, but also wanted reap all the rewards, too.

This is the darker side of the business you don't hear much about, IMO.

There is doing "free work" that really isn't work, like BDZ describes, and then there is being taken advantage of. Problem is a lot of new writers can't tell the difference starting out...
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
      I agree. If you are going to spec... Spec for yourself.

I was in a similar situation.

I was fortunate to have two A-List writers... They are a pair; they were very hot at the time... Who wanted me to write a script on spec for an idea they had. They said, they were going to take it out and if all went well, pay me a percentage of their take (a percentage of a percentage!?), give me "story by" credit and all this other B.S.

Suffice to say, I turned down their offer.

Sure, I might have had the clout & connections of these two writers on my side... For a while... But I looked ahead at what the overall END RESULT was for ME. Which was nothing. Especially if it didn't sell. Not only is that a good chunk of time wasted developing the script with them, but it's mostly me doing all the work. Not to mention, it's their idea. They own it, even if I write it.

Looking back, I think they liked my writing, but they just got lazy and or greedy (due to over scheduling their own work) and wanted someone to do the heavy lifting for them, but also wanted reap all the rewards, too.

This is the darker side of the business you don't hear much about, IMO.

There is doing "free work" that really isn't work, like BDZ describes, and then there is being taken advantage of. Problem is a lot of new writers can't tell the difference starting out...
      Woah, you're saying they wanted you to write the script and then they would get the written by credit and you would get the story by? What douchebags. Why not just produce the thing? That's way out there.

Comment

Interesting thread. Thanks to the folks for adding to this.

I have a question for Jeff or SBScripts, etc.

So from a writers POV, if your reps give you the old "assignments aren't for you" line, how does one parlay this into something that can happen? I understand heat followed from something going wide is the norm, actually, this is THE only way, no? lol

EJ

Comment

My agent and manager have sent me to pitch on pretty much anything that's open to someone at my level: there are things you get to pitch on, as a baby writer, because you're eager and cheap and the company invites 50 people just like you to pitch on a deadish project... and there are things you don't get to pitch on, because the company is actually planning on making a movie. That can be kind of humbling once you figure this out, that most brand-new writers basically only get to pitch on projects where the executive is generating pitches on the off-chance that one will go. You don't really get to pitch on projects that are a sure thing if they can just find the right writer: those projects go to working writers with quotes, a list you have yet to get yourself on.

So. The kind of stuff you get to go pitch on is: a remake of something you've never heard of, an obscure graphic novel with no heat behind it, a novel with some heat behind it but which isn't really very good. A book the producer wants to completely change. A producer's original idea. None of these are sure things (the studio is not on the phone every day all "Hey, did you find a writer yet? Because we have this check sitting here.") - instead, if you "get the job" what you actually get is usually the chance to go around pitching it to money people, like the studio.

(Not always true: I have also pitched at companies that have their own money. But there are not that many companies with an internal development fund anymore.)

Anyway, with all that in mind, I'm not sure that new writers routinely land assignments without first having sold something. Does it happen? Of course, yes. Does it happen frequently? I don't think so, no. Like someone said upthread, it never gets easier, you just have to jump through different hoops.

I have occasionally turned down the opportunity to pitch on something. But most of the time I've girded my loins and gone in and pitched my best story. Nobody has hired me. That may be because I am The Worst, of course. But frankly, I think it's because most of the projects you and fifty other noob writers are pitching on are no-go to begin with, and it's not that big of an investment on the executive's part to run it up the flagpole and see who salutes, you never know, one of those writers may strike gold.

Re: pitching - or writing at all, really - I don't think your success is inevitable if you are talented and just keep plugging away, I think that there are very few slots open at all. Frankly, once you've "made it" to the level of something with an agent at a three-letter agency, etc, you realize that maybe your chances have gotten better... but the odds are now 1000-to-1 rather than 100000-to-1. Definitely better, but faaaaar from a sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
            Interesting thread. Thanks to the folks for adding to this.

I have a question for Jeff or SBScripts, etc.

So from a writers POV, if your reps give you the old "assignments aren't for you" line, how does one parlay this into something that can happen?
            EJ
            Cutting and pasting this thread, and emailing it to your manager.
            I'll do it depending on how it goes for you, buddy. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
              Woah, you're saying they wanted you to write the script and then they would get the written by credit and you would get the story by? What douchebags. Why not just produce the thing? That's way out there.
              Pretty far out

I can't say 100%, but I have a feeling they over booked their own gigs, just got greedy and were trying to do too much at once. Hence, why they tried to get me to do some of their work for them.

I had the instincts to walk away, luckily... But an inexperienced & hungry writer might have taken the offer just because they don't know they can do a lot better.

This was why I commented on BDZ's post.

It's one thing to work in good faith with people you are trying to impress. It's another to be taken advantage of by said people like in my near-experience.
              Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by corduroy View Post
                Re: pitching - or writing at all, really - I don't think your success is inevitable if you are talented and just keep plugging away, I think that there are very few slots open at all. Frankly, once you've "made it" to the level of something with an agent at a three-letter agency, etc, you realize that maybe your chances have gotten better... but the odds are now 1000-to-1 rather than 100000-to-1. Definitely better, but faaaaar from a sure thing.
                Sobering poste, Corduroy... even more sobering when you're not even buzzed to begin with... thanks for the tough love

Comment

Originally posted by corduroy View Post

So. The kind of stuff you get to go pitch on is: a remake of something you've never heard of, an obscure graphic novel with no heat behind it, a novel with some heat behind it but which isn't really very good. A book the producer wants to completely change. A producer's original idea.
                  What about the page one rewrite of the woefully bad script written on assignment by a big name writer and/or the page one rewrite of the woefully bad script that just sold on spec for high six? You'll need to completely reinvent the story and concept mind you...but you'll get paid WGA scale (plus 10% if your agent is good) for a rewrite....like 40 grand before taxes and rep dips.
                  "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                    So from a writers POV, if your reps give you the old "assignments aren't for you" line, how does one parlay this into something that can happen? I understand heat followed from something going wide is the norm, actually, this is THE only way, no? lol

EJ
                    That's a toughie. If your rep is telling you he's not going to submit you for assignments, I'm not sure there's any magical combination of words that will convince him he's wrong. In that case, I think you need to be more active and try to generate leads for yourself... while you consider looking for a new rep.

Sometimes those meetings come from going wide, other times it's from reps sending scripts to people as a sample.

Comment

I asked my manager -- told me he does put us up for assignments that are looking for young writers. So is it good that I didn't know he was doing that/never got a bite?

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                        What about the page one rewrite of the woefully bad script written on assignment by a big name writer and/or the page one rewrite of the woefully bad script that just sold on spec for high six? You'll need to completely reinvent the story and concept mind you...but you'll get paid WGA scale (plus 10% if your agent is good) for a rewrite....like 40 grand before taxes and rep dips.
                        But remember, there's multiple steps. I've done plenty of scale +10 rewrites. You get three of those step, you've cleared 100 grand and usually there are two polish steps in place too. Those are 15 grand apiece. If you're doing good work it's not uncommon to get all those steps.

There's really no bad money in the studio system.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                          So is it good that I didn't know he was doing that/never got a bite?
                          You have no idea how many jobs he's put you up for. They're all pathological liars. (Leave me alone, Jeff. This is MY experience)

They put u up for one gig, that means "i put you up for gigs." Gotta keep speccing. Don't sit up and wait for it to happen. At some point you'll write a spec that gets you in the room.

Phase two is beating out 5 other "yous" going after the gig you're in the room for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            I asked my manager -- told me he does put us up for assignments that are looking for young writers. So is it good that I didn't know he was doing that/never got a bite?
                            Not good that you didn't know he was doing it...if in fact he was. I know people who have been with agents that claimed they were pushing their material, even naming specific places, and then later found out they were lying. Of course this was a crappy agent at a marginal little shop--William Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                              But remember, there's multiple steps. I've done plenty of scale +10 rewrites. You get three of those step, you've cleared 100 grand and usually there are two polish steps in place too. Those are 15 grand apiece. If you're doing good work it's not uncommon to get all those steps.

There's really no bad money in the studio system.
                              Hey, don't get me wrong...I'd pretty much cut a pinky off for one of these gigs. I was just joinin' the pity party for a beat is all.
                              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                                Of course this was a crappy agent at a marginal little shop--William Morris.

This has been a very informative thread guys - really, thanks. Now I don't feel bad about parting with the rep awhile back. I knew something was off. Gut feeling.
                                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                                X